Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingPBcastco
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powdercoat woes

Boolit Buddy

Powdercoat woes

I don't understand what the hell is wrong but. I can't get any damn powder to stick bullets for beans. I tried the tumble static with bb thing. No luck. I tried the machine that induces static for powder coating no luck.

I resorted to using a hot drop liquid powdercoat method normally used for lead fishing weights. It works to get them coated but brings my size from .311 to .318-.325 and then when I size the stupid things the coating flakes off.

I've watched a bunch of YouTube and have tried various things all this week. And none of the resulting bullets I would dare put in a gun.

What's wrong here? Any insight?

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What powder coat are you using? I’ve read that some members have seen results like that with poor quality PC and when they get a better type it works better. I know my black is a little more temperamental than my clear but both work well (Smoke Pc sold on this forum).

Also, are you handling the bullets before they go in the powder? Might try rinsing them in acetone and letting them fully dry before trying to Pc to get all oils off? Iv also read that some members pre-heat their bullets to say 80-100 degrees before going in the powder to help it stick better when shaking.

What temp are you baking at and for how long?

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using black HF powder,

5min in the ultrasonic cleaner, bake dry, cool, coat. For when I tried the static shake and bake.

For the drop method it goes from the warm mold into powder and into the oven.

20minutes at 400 degrees baking for both methods.

Then once cooled to room temp goes thru the sizer.

Boolit Buddy
    I am no expert. My questions would be. 1. what powder are you using? 2. what container are you using to shake/swirl? 3. how are you removing the bullets from powder container? 4. what are you putting the bullets on in the oven and at what temp. From what I understand high humidity has an effect.
    What I use for a container is a Walmart cottage cheese container, at this time I like smokes clear the best for powder (from what I understand smoke tests the powder before he sells). I put about 1 tsp in the container a hand full of bullets then shake/swirl for about a minute to two. Put a paper plate down then I have a wire basket from walmart kind of like this one https://www.amazon.com/Household-Sto...0342447&sr=8-5 . then dump the bullet on a silicone mate from walmart that has little pyramids separate with tweezers. I do not pre heat the oven I set it for 30 minutes on the timer and temp. 450. The powder on the paper plate gets dumped back into the container I will not add more untill the bullets don't look like they are getting good coverage. It works for me, not saying I do much as others would it works well enough for me.
    Last edited by redriverhunter; 05-06-2021 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm a relative newcomer to powder coating but I can share my experience and suggestions.

Use a quality powder. I use Smokes
    I rinse my bullets in acetone before attempting to coat. Don't touch the bullets with a bare hand.
    I use a hair dryer to make sure the acetone is fully dried and to slightly warm the bullets.
    I use a Zip-lok screw lid container (recycle code 5) along with Smokes black airsoft BBs
    Shake and swirl for a couple of minutes.
    I remove bullets with tweezers and shake off excess powder.
    I bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
    I do all this in a climate controlled room (air conditioning and heat)

This process works for me.

Boolit Master

Powdercoat woes

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    I've been using black HF powder,

5min in the ultrasonic cleaner, bake dry, cool, coat. For when I tried the static shake and bake.

For the drop method it goes from the warm mold into powder and into the oven.

20minutes at 400 degrees baking for both methods.

Then once cooled to room temp goes thru the sizer.

I think the powder may be your issue. I read a ton of the old original threads when the PC was being developed on this forum and everyone tried all sorts of different methods and powders. One consistent comment was that the only HF powder that actually worked was HF Red but that was somewhat hit and miss. That’s why they ended up sourcing other alternatives.

I would recommend reaching out to Smoke and sourcing one of his sample tri color packs and try those instead and see how your results vary. I recommend his clear as it coats amazingly and maintains the classic bullet look.

If you don’t want to invest that much on an experiment shoot me a PM and maybe I can send you a small amount to try.

Here’s a photo of some PCing I was doing the other night left tray just came out of oven for 16 min at 400. Right tray was about to go in. Smoke clear with some Smoke Green and Smoke black mixed in.

I shake in a ikea plastic locking container (but I’ve used cool whip containers, country crock containers, ziplock containers, etc with success as long as it has “5” triangle code) with air soft BBS for 1.5 minutes before extracting using latex glove fingers dipped in powder so I don’t wipe off the powder before baking. I can send you a video of my process if it would help.

Boolit Buddy
    Who is smoke? A member on the forum? Does he have a website?

Boolit Master
    StuBach, I noticed the Sharpie notice on the side of your oven. I did the exact same thing with mine when I started baking bullets back in my Hi-Tek days.

Boolit Master

Powdercoat woes

Who is smoke? A member on the forum? Does he have a website?

He’s a vendor on this forum. Here’s the thread for ordering:

VS - Hi quality Powder for DT or Spraying bullets
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

He also sells AS BBs if you need.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    StuBach, I noticed the Sharpie notice on the side of your oven. I did the exact same thing with mine when I started baking bullets back in my Hi-Tek days.
    I have learned too many times that if I don’t label things than someone else who doesn’t know better might use incorrectly. Looked for ages for my grandpas CI corncob ingot mold with no luck only to find out from my dad that it was sold in a garage sale as part of the kitchen stuff. He didn’t realize why it was sitting in the gun shop instead of the kitchen. Just hope it was never used for baking again.

Boolit Master
    Get rid of the HF powder and get some from Smokes.

I also clean my bullets with acetone before shaking. Make sure to get all oils off. Dry and shake.

How humid is it when you shake them? The lower the better. I'm in the desert SW so just about any day (even a rainy one) is ok for generating static.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    It's usually high humidity here in east coast. River in the back yard probably don't help much.

Boolit Master

Powdercoat woes

It's usually high humidity here in east coast. River in the back yard probably don't help much.

I live in Michigan where house humidity is usually in the 40-70% and have never had an issue with smoke powders, can’t say for humidity over that.

Just cause I’m thoroughly impressed with how well the seal works on these ikea containers I just wanted to give them a shout out to those doing BB shake and bake.
    The seal is a multi ribbed gasket that, unlike other locking containers I’ve tried, doesn’t seem to dry out when exposed to PC and when all four locks are seated I haven’t had any powder leakage. Cost is less than $4 per when you buy both lid and container.
    Last edited by StuBach; 05-06-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Boolit Master

johnsonian09,

there is a plethora of powder coating success and failure threads in the 'Coatings and Alternatives' sub-form.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...d-Alternatives
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I think the powder may be your issue. I read a ton of the old original threads when the PC was being developed on this forum and everyone tried all sorts of different methods and powders. One consistent comment was that the only HF powder that actually worked was HF Red but that was somewhat hit and miss. That’s why they ended up sourcing other alternatives.

I would recommend reaching out to Smoke and sourcing one of his sample tri color packs and try those instead and see how your results vary. I recommend his clear as it coats amazingly and maintains the classic bullet look.

If you don’t want to invest that much on an experiment shoot me a PM and maybe I can send you a small amount to try.

Here’s a photo of some PCing I was doing the other night left tray just came out of oven for 16 min at 400. Right tray was about to go in. Smoke clear with some Smoke Green and Smoke black mixed in.

I shake in a ikea plastic locking container (but I’ve used cool whip containers, country crock containers, ziplock containers, etc with success as long as it has “5” triangle code) with air soft BBS for 1.5 minutes before extracting using latex glove fingers dipped in powder so I don’t wipe off the powder before baking. I can send you a video of my process if it would help.

stubak,

a question about that Jiff jar on your bench, are you using that as a powder tumbling container or for some other function? If yes, I was under the impression only recycle numbers 2 and 5 were suitable for shake-n-bake and those clear plastic containers are recycle number 1. I've been tempted to try them, but haven't do to everything posted saying not to.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Powdercoat woes

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    stubak, a question about that Jiff jar on your table, are you using that as a powder tumbling container or for some other function? If yes, I was under the impression only recycle numbers 2 and 5 were suitable for shake-n-bake and those clear plastic containers are recycle number 1.
    No, Jiff jar is used for bullet storage hence the label on it. That particular jar had stored the bare 9mm in the left side tray. I use the Ikea365 containers I mentioned earlier for shake and bake.

Boolit Master

I should learn to read more thoroughly before posting.........

I started with HF powder and had poor results. I bought some Eastwood powder and I now have very good results.
    It seems everyone needs to learn this for himself. I also found some colors work better than others.

Boolit Buddy
    I will give you my two cents worth. I have been Powder Coating for quite a while and few problems. I am cautious of all the extra steps some use. I do use Smokes powder in Flame Red, Carolina Blue and Clear. I also have tried traffic orange and it is workable but that is about it. I started with HF Red and it worked, just OK. So yes, there is a difference in powders. Smokes clear is darn near fool proof. I put my bullets in a #5 container, a glad sandwich container and I never worry about humidity. It can get very humid where I live but I have never had a problem. I formerly painted cars and humidity is a factor when paint is sprayed toward the surface and traps the moisture going down. I don't see where humidity can get into the metal. I don't worry about touching bullets, it is never a problem unless you have especially oily skin then maybe. Use latex gloves if you are concerned which is a good idea anyway. I pick mine with surgical forcepts one at a time when coated. I don't worry about touching the tips as the paint flows over those spots and they don't touch the barrel anyway. I swirl, shake, turn upside down and create more static by running the container on my hand. I use BB's but it works with it without. I do not preheat nor do I clean bullets as I see no sense in putting more chemicals on a porous metal, lead. My bullets are very nice, people who see them can't believe them. So it doesn't have to be complicated. Start with a very simple system with fewer steps before making changes. With too many steps you don't know where the problem is. Try smokes clear and my guess is you will be an expert. Just make sure you shake off the excess and there are a couple ways to do that. Good luck.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 05-07-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Only thing I’ll add is to really check your temps, and better to cook a few min too long than not long enough.

I learned the lesson about HF powder feom you guys so I didn’t have to do it myself! I’m not always that smart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast