RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: T/C Hawken service

Boolit Master

T/C Hawken service

As I mentioned in another thread I purchased a pair of T/C Hawken rifles. One .45 cal. and 0ne .54 cal.. I got these for a good price so when they got here with a couple issues I was not all that upset. The seller is making good on a bad hammer on the .45 so I am good with that. I do have a couple questions though. On the trigger assembly on the .45 when I got it the plunger that sets the trigger was rusted solid in place and would not push the trigger set down. I did get this freed up with Liquid Wrench, WD-40 and light tapping and it eventually popped out and I was able to get things cleaned up and working. It seems to work ok but that plunger is still a little "crunchy". Should I attempt to sand it or just use it and let it wear itself back in? I put a very light coat of oil on all of the trigger parts since they were all a bit sticky and wiped off any excess.

On the .54 the set trigger is VERY hard to pull back to the set position. After it is set the primary trigger is perfect. I checked the adjustment and it is set at one turn out from trip on the set trigger as prescribed. I pulled the trigger assembly out and loosed up the screw holding the spring bar for the set trigger and that loosened up the set trigger so I got it to a point where it was manageable and put locktite on the screw to hold it at that point. I am thinking that this is not the correct way of doing this though so that is why I am asking how to do it correctly. When I say it was hard to pull I am talking grip with finger and pull back with arm! It was too hard to pull with just the finger and I don't really have weak fingers.

Last but not least, what is the recommended product to shine up the brass on these guns? These two were obviously left to sit without care for a long time and both the stocks and brass need some loving.

Rick

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Degrease the mechanism, and use reverse electrolysis to remove the rust.

Reducing pressure on the spring is the correct route, You may even want to thin it. I have no idea why they make the spring so strong. I personally detest set triggers, and wouldn't have one on any of my guns.

Polish brass? Blasphemy! If you must, just rub it with your thumb or 0000 steel wool.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Most people like the aged look on the brass but of coarse not everyone. Regular brass polish like Brasso will be fine.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    The Lock springs and plungers are available on E bay to tune up your locks.

Boolit Master
    I like aged look but not dirty aged look. The look they have right now is the look of neglect. I would rather polish the brass and let it age in a proper way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The Lock springs and plungers are available on E bay to tune up your locks.
    I have been looking for several days for T/C lock plate parts, or any parts for that matter. Have not been able to find much. Do you have any links or suggestions on what to search for?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post

Reducing pressure on the spring is the correct route, You may even want to thin it. I have no idea why they make the spring so strong. I personally detest set triggers, and wouldn't have one on any of my guns.

Polish brass? Blasphemy! If you must, just rub it with your thumb or 0000 steel wool.
    I have never used the set triggers before but pulling just the primary trigger is pretty stiff so I figured I will use it as long as I can get them working right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I have been looking for several days for T/C lock plate parts, or any parts for that matter. Have not been able to find much. Do you have any links or suggestions on what to search for?
    You didn't say what lock parts you need, but you can look through these for parts:

https://thea.com/Black-Powder-Thomps...r-Hawken-Lock/

Here's a thread on Hawken triggers: https://forum.gon.com/threads/t-c-ha...stment.956881/

Last edited by Pressman; 05-12-2021 at 07:09 PM. Reason: NO eBay links
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Simichrome metal polish is great stuff.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post

If you're going to degrease it, you might as well spring for a gallon of EvapoRust. If you're going to do electrolytic rust removal, use washing soda as your electrolyte, and it will degrease and remove any paint that might be in there, too. For tiny, delicate stuff like a set trigger, use distilled water, and 1 table spoon or less per gallon of the washing soda (sodium carbonate, also used as a pH adjuster in pools). http://www.schoepp.ca/ is a good link. also, search for "electrolytic rust removal" to find lots more links.

Personally, I'd degrease and use Evaporust. OTH, I bought a 5-gallon bucket of it for working on my SB Heavy 10L lathe.

Boolit Master
    If you don't care about the Bluing or the rust has ruined the bluing , then just soak the parts in Vinegar.
    I have found that spending the time and expense to Reverse Electrostatic remove the rust also removed the bluing.
    There is also Bluing and Rust removal products on Thompson E Bay parts and supplies.
    They work well.
    But Elbow Grease also works well and limits the area you want to remove rust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Simichrome metal polish is great stuff.

DG
    Dang! all the motorcycles I have been through I forgot all about Semichrome and I bet I have some around here somewhere.

Boolit Buddy

Flitz for the brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    You didn't say what lock parts you need, but you can look through these for parts:

https://thea.com/Black-Powder-Thomps...r-Hawken-Lock/

Here's a thread on Hawken triggers: https://forum.gon.com/threads/t-c-ha...stment.956881/

Thanks for the links, I found some of them but some others there I had not seen. All good info for a newbie!
    Last edited by Pressman; 05-12-2021 at 07:10 PM. Reason: No eBay links