Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 75 ish grain 38 wc mold

Boolit Master
    Ideal / Lyman used to make #358425 as a 110 gr wc I played with one for a while using unique. It shot well in my 14-3 and my 52 but it didn't generate enough pressure to function the slide of the 52.

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE .358- 73 gr WC. Fun to load 2 in a .357 case. The mold (5 cav) wants to run hot to get good fill. Not very accurate but still fun to play with.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master
    I did a side by side comparison of the 83 and 148 grain Lee WC this morning. Length of the little guy is ~.330" (I didn't write down the numbers, sorry) and the button nose is about .220" vs .170" on the 148.

It looks for all the world like you could mill off the rear two lube grooves of the 148 to get a comparable mold. The rear driving band is a bit thin, but for light loads suitable for this projectile, I don't think it would matter.

More testing will be needed with the single cavity before I jump into this project with both feet. By that time maybe things will be available again.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    About 10 years ago, I did a bit of adventuring with "mini-Wadcutters." Both in 44, and in 38/357. Here are some pics. The first pic shows a 358-101, double stacked and then under with one under a 358-345. The second photo shows the result of firing 6 rounds of .357 Mag, triple-loaded, 358-101 at 7 yards. The bottom boolit was sized .355 to avoid bulging the case.
    The 3d pic is the result of 10 shots of .44 Mag loaded with 3, NOE 432-105's, the bottom boolit again had to be sized smaller--.428, but .427 would have been better. The POA was intentionally spread out because the boolits were landing on top of each other at first, up at 12 oclock. The bottom two pics show the triple stack 44 boolits along side a loaded.
    Velocities were of a necessity low, owing to the heavy boolit weights being used and I used a S&W M-28 and a Ruger Redhawk for the shooting. I was somewhat surprised at the unexpected tight groups delivered. Most shots landed all three boolits within an inch of one another, frequently only two shot holes were visible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails little 38 boolits 001.jpg   little 38 boolits 004.jpg   090.jpg   089.jpg   088.jpg  

_________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12