WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75 ish grain 38 wc mold

Boolit Buddy

75 ish grain 38 wc mold

Gentlemen, have any of you experimented with 75 ish grain wc loads? Any input is welcome. Pros/cons. Thanks. Randy

Boolit Buddy
    They're fun to play with. Last year, I co-wrote an article on stacking them for multiple projectile loads. It's on page 46 of this issue:

https://dilloncdn.com/website-static...epress-feb.pdf
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btreanor View Post
    They're fun to play with. Last year, I co-wrote an article on stacking them for multiple projectile loads. It's on page 46 of this issue:

https://dilloncdn.com/website-static...epress-feb.pdf
    Fun fun fun--I have done that with a model 19 and 357 brass but at a lower speed with 3 boolits. They ain't accurate but 24 holes in a target with a 6 shooter gets attention. Good read. Was that a model 19? Looks like you could shoot a 148 bnwc and be accurate?

Boolit Buddy

btreanor, I enjoyed the article, good read. Have any of you done single light WC loads? How was accuracy. I have read in the past, not very accurate. If I could get any kind of accuracy out of a 75-ish grain WC, I'd probably get a mold. I am thinking of getting a mold with 2 designs soon. Might get a light WC as second design. Need info. Thanks, Randy.

Boolit Master
    Lyman used to make a 38 cal 75 gr mold. It was refered to as a collar button bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I tried once. I got a single cavity Lee that is supposed to drop an 80 grain WC, IIRC. It may, but it is the most cantankerous mold to cast with I have ever handled.

To slow filling = bad boolits. Too fast = bad boolits and molten lead spewing back at you from the sprue hole. Never did really get in the rhythm of casting with it.

I'm not quite ready to give up on it, just not quite ready to cast quickly depleted handgun projectiles one at a time.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

Mk42gunner, not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Any others care to chime in? Randy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually, the Lyman 358-101 is not a collar button boolit: it is merely a very short WC. Collar button boolits have a thin wasp waist like the Lyman 457-130 or 429-239.
    With the 358-101, I made up hundreds of Single boolit loads for my daughter to use in her M-36 in lieu of 22 LR as a starter round. Accuracy is not stellar with these, at least in a 38 Spl. However, for a low recoil training round for rookie shooters, they are hard to beat. I used 2.2-2.5 grains of Bullseye with a firm crimp.

I have also experimented with Multi-ball loads using 2 or three of these in a 357 case.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

Fellers, now we are getting somewhere. A ray of hope. 100 grs sounds more promising. Really had my heart set on a 75 ish though. Thanks to all. Randy.

Boolit Master

The lightest I have is the Lyman 358425 in the 121 gr version.

They are a pretty accurate boolit. I've been tempted on one of those superlight WC molds, if for nothing else but the "odd" design.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't worked with the 75 gr. WC but have done a lot of reloading with the Lee 358-105-SWC in both 38 Special and 9mm Luger . My mould is a two-cavity and gives no problems .
    NOE makes a 101 gr. WC ... the 4 and 5 cavity moulds are "not in stock" but a 3 cavity mould is available !
    Personally I like 3 cavity moulds ... and with the availability of moulds ... I would jump on this one .
    www.noebulletmolds.com 360-101-WC-S5 three cavity PB $86.00 and 3 are in stock
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

Thanks to all for the input. I also have the Lee 105 SWC, and Lyman 148 WC molds. I was looking to save lead, and double stack WC bullets. Kinda on the fence, Randy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I actually saw mine yesterday, I may try it again in the next few weeks. If I do I will report back.

Maybe ladle casting? I think I tried bottom pouring last time. We'll see how it goes.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have a six cavity 82grain DEWC. Made by Lee, group buy right here on cast boolits several years ago.
    Not much luck stacking three in .357.
    Double loads work out well.
    Nice low recoil .38 spl as single load.

This bullet really shines as a top plug for shot loads. A small dash of tight group, a .375 diameter wad cut from a cheerios box(the yellow is easy to see down inside the case) wad tamped in with wooden pencil eraser. 86 grains of #9 shot then the bullet crimped firmly in place.

A multiple use load with bullet for larger vermin, and a small cloud of shot that snakes find hard to duck. The crimped bullet keep the rest of the cartridges in your cylinder from unseating the cover and spilling shot out.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    Thanks to all for the input. I also have the Lee 105 SWC, and Lyman 148 WC molds. I was looking to save lead, and double stack WC bullets. Kinda on the fence, Randy.
    I found what you are looking for : NOE 360-73-WC-PB , a 73 gr (wheel weight alloy) Wadcutter .
    They have ...in stock ... 2 , 4 , and 5 cavity moulds ... if you are interested in multi projectile and single lead saving boolit ... jump off the fence . I posted NOE's link in post #11 ... Looking is free .

The 75 Gr. WC should be just as accurate as the 105 gr. Lee SWC ... My Walther P-38 shoots its best groups with the 105 gr. boolit .
    The 75 gr. WC should be just as accurate , or more so , in a revolver .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-10-2021 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added some comments .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

I have to agree that the multi projectile load is real interesting. Might have to take the plunge. Thanks to all, Randy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I couldn't sleep and was bored last night, so I decided to cast a few boolits. Very few, it was hot in the casting shed.

The little Lee WC weighs 83 grains in my version of WW. It dropped at just a skosh under .360", so it would be a definite candidate for tumble lubing an loading without sizing.

I forgot to measure the length, but it isn't a good candidate for stacking projos, the front looks very similar to Lee's 148 WC.

Once up to temp, the tiny aluminum mold did well with ladle casting. No temper tantrums like with a bottom pour spout, just fill cut refill like a good mold should act.

I'm still not enamored with casting high usage boolits one at a time, but it would work for low recoil training rounds. I may look for a multiple cavity mold, but it will take some doing to replace the six cavity Lee 148WC.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Someone gave me some 77 grain full wadcutter bullets and I shot them in my Model 14 Smith that will give me around 2 inches at 50 yards shot from my ransom rest with the right bullet which is typically a 150 grain or so SWC. My favorite is a RCBS but they are only two cavity and consequently slow. The 77's surprised me with a group around 6 inches at 50 and I didn't go through a bunch of powders which might improve the accuracy. I thought this was excellent considering the bullet size. I bought one and use it when my grandkids are shooting because they don't recoil much and they don't use much lead and they just shoot at falling plates at 10 yards. I think it is a NOE but would have to go dig through my molds to be sure and unless some one feels the need to know, I won't check.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both the 358-101 & the old group buy. Did some long ago and haven't done any lately. I remember the tiny bullets to be fun and good for closer ranges. Never spent enough time to judge the true accuracy with them but I didn't have any complaints. Stacking in a case becomes tedious as the wall thickness of .38, .357 brass increases as you approach the web (base) of the case. Still, I had fun with it.

Boolit Master

You guys got me thinking. Have a couple of the 425s laying around. Think I'll get my machinist to lop off one grease groove and see what I have left. Of course, redo the sprue plate and index screws. Might be an interesting project./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast