RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin - 1894 vs. 1895 vs. 336 & the Ruger Reboot

Boolit Grand Master

A Marlin in .454 would be a high on my list rifle !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm planning to get a Rugerlin 1894 to save wear and tear on my nice JM example.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

It's "Rugarlin."

The 1894 action is good to about 46,500 psi, anything above that is in dangerous territory. .454 in not in the cards as they run in the 60,00 psi range.

Originally 1894's and 1895s were both flat bolts. 1895's were dropped and didn't come back until the Round Bolt version came out. It is a slightly modified version of the 336 action.

My Avatar is an original 1895.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I had a 336 Marlin .44 Mag about ten years ago. The barrel was toast but it shot all right. The ejector was modified and due to it's age, I figured I'd never find one if it broke so I let it go. Had a saddle ring. Had to try everything once and it didn't shoot .44 Specials worth a hoot.

Anything's possible if you have enough $$$$./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Marlin did make the 336 in .44 Magnum for a bit. As I understand, the 336 action requires alot of work to do well with short cartridges so it must have made more sense to Marlin to bring back the 1894.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Mold
    Accuracy Problems with the 44Mag in the Marlin 1894 are common. They've got a long throat to accomadate a longer COAL, this was a factory configuration. 44Spec in the initial 336 version would have the same problem. If you load to the SAAMI length, most of them don't shoot at all well. Get a boolit engraved into the lands and they tighten right up. The modern 1895 action, because of relief cuts inside the receiver and the need to enlarge the ejection port, actually weaken the 336 action. The last gasp from Marlin with the 450M, the 308ME and the 338ME actually also deal with the other bugaboo, the square threads in the receiver/barrel mount. With a large case, there isn't a whole lot of meat left. Marlin went to a V thread for their "express" series of cartridges. The 450M can take higher pressures than the modern 1895 in 45/70.

What I'd love to see, and it's HIGHLY unlikely, is for Ruger to ressurect the original large action Marlin 1895. Rare and expensive when you can find them. Then you have a rifle on par with the Win 1886.

Just got my hands on a barrel vise, I'm planning a 357Maximum in a 336 action. Got a 24" CB octagon barrel that should plug in to the 336 reciever. I have a 35Rem round bolt that looks like it'll work fine with the 357 rim. I've got some exprience lengthening the actions of the 1894 and 336, now to figger out how to shorten one.

If that works, I'm tempted to try a 445Mag, and "gulp", a short 460. Got the barrels, and the actions,
    crazy cartridges in a handgun, but manageable IMO in a rifle.

Cheers gents! LTNS

Boolit Master
    Was cleaning my 1894 in 44 magnum last night and always wondered why they did the front receiver ring the way that they did. While I don't do nueclear loads in any of my lever actions, think the action would be a mite stronger if they just carried the top of the receiver same as they did further back. In short just square the top of the action and don't use the receiver ring as it was made. Probably a bit stronger and might look better. Every time my brother comes over he asks if the 1894 in 357 magnum is for sale. Gets that hound dog look when I tell him it isn't. Course he won't sell me his 586 either.Not too worry though, have an old Colt Trooper MKIII in 357. Frank

Boolit Master

The Marlin action is smoother to operate for one simple reason. The lever is mounted to the bottom of the receiver.

THE PIVOT POINT IS ATTACHED.

You don't have to "pull the guts out the bottom of the action as on the 1886, 1892 & 1894.
    Just watch a Cowboy "gamer" operate a 1873 clone. I'd beat even money up against a black rifle for speed for the first 10rds.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12