MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Florida: What to do???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Evening everybody:

Im currently in Naples Florida visiting family, working on getting a contract in Miami (Nursing)......where to go, what to do? where are the gun shops??? old country stores?? Flea markets that all of us are into ??? would like to find a land hunting lease to harvest a few wild hogs from each month, but dont really know where to start looking. It feels kinda weird cold knocking a farmers door.....It be another adventure to hunt a few Iguannas, maybe even catch a snook. Any and all info is appreciated....

Mods ...not sure where to put this....please move if need be ..............Regards
    Go to Kellyco in Orlando... buy a good metal detector and scoop and hunt the 1715 beaches. Maybe hit the jackpot.

Boolit Buddy
    The 1715 beaches as in the Spanish fleet that hit the Atlantic coast ????

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    The 1715 beaches as in the Spanish fleet that hit the Atlantic coast ????
    Pfft, From what I've been reading the Spanish wreaked out steadily for 400 years, Some found,some not but there appears to be a ton of rules and regulations to navigate around

Boolit Grand Master

South Florida and the keys are not where you want to hunt. When I was there, I fished pretty much every day, and it was great. Some of the best fish I ever ate, I caught there. Red Snapper is phenomenal. I don't remember key west being bad at all, plenty of kids there. I wouldn't take kids anywhere in south Florida much after dark, but during the day, the keys is a family friendly touristy area. Actually the only area that gave me real concern was just south of Miami. Cars with bullet holes, stolen vehicles chased by cops, and every store had bars on the windows. Not just the door, but the cashier was behind bars too. Once you cross the bridge to the keys, it is a whole different environment. Miami itself was just fine other than typical big city stuff.

One helpful tip, buy your fishing stuff in Miami. For whatever reason finding tackle and bait in the keys was no easy task. There's a bunch of fishing charters too, and I had fun for a morning on one. It wasn't much for trophies, but all I did was let what they called a chicken rig sit off the side of the boat, and we all did pretty good.

Boolit Master

Go to far south and all you have is Florida Key Deer. Size of German Shepard and highly illegal to hunt. They he indangered. Plus the rut gets wacky and hard to predict. First cold snap in winter and boom rut. If you are SOL at work and you missed it.

Aim for central Florida. Its more gun and hunting friendly and not to far. There are gun shops everywhere. I was just in Largo and Lake City at gun shows (lets not discus price shock). Guns are cheap but ammo aint. Dollar a round can eat my shorts. I felt bad because a few of them I gave them the your an idiot look. I know for damn sure the whole sellers havent raised prices. 220 bucks for a brick of primers. Big box shops are cheaper than that. Did get some deals on AR15 parts. Building my second one. Just down to the Bolt, BCG, barrel and gas system and only 270 bucks invested. Barrel and BCG is the most expensive parts.

For hunting. Florida has lots of public lands. Go down to the county tax collectors office as they normally have maps. You can jump over to the florida DFW website and look for ones close by. Be carefull on public lands ole timers get possesive but its first come and first serve so dont let them run you off. Its 50/50 if someone is going to be a dick or respectful. Expect to have your tree stand and cams stolen. Hell even private property expect your camera to be stolen. I have turned more than one person in for tresspassing and theft. I started putting my cameras out so they over lap each other. You can steal one or two cameras but i promise you missed one of mine and i got your purty mug in the act. Life lessons learned the hard way lol.

Hunting clubs and leases are expensive and for the rich. Public land is productive while you make friends and network for private property to hunt. I go squirrel hunting and rabbit hunting while i camp and track public land. Then i post up come deer season. Read and know the laws on the particular stretch of land you plan to hunt. Also... for public land... he who shoots and drops the deer keeps it. I still hunt, a lot of Florida boys run dogs. If that dog runs a deer within range of me i will take the shot and keep that deer. Keep the warden number on speed dial. Those boys get pissy. Most are cool but there is always one ass whole who thinks they owne the woods. It took me a couple years but I now have a few private properties i hunt in North Eastern Florida in conjunction with a couple public lands.

Hint for public lands, deer arent stupid. They will stick closer to human activities than you would think. They know they wont get shot near the campgrounds.

Hint two: take a budy. Bears are just as quiet in the Palmettos as deer. Also it helps when you find the deer bedded down. Have a buddy push them out towards the other hunter (discuss shooting lanes before hand). You will almost have to step on them to move them out of their beding in the Palmetto.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

For something to do .... Go Fishing
    Plenty of fishing piers , go on a charter boat deep sea trip ( the Flying Fish Fleet Charters) I have had some great trips with this outfit .
    Fish from the bank or surf fish ... anywhere you can pull off the road ...you can fish .
    Lots of Public fishing places ...all free ... piers , jetties and marinas .
    Florida is a fisherman's paradise ... I love fishing off the Sunshine Skyway Fishing Pier ... it's such a nice place with bait shop , store and rest rooms ... I wish Louisiana had one .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12