Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Brought home the Ruger Predator.

Boolit Master

Brought home the Ruger Predator.

Been wanting one of these for a few years and finally sold my Ruger M77 boat paddle rifle and picked up the Predator in .308.

Not a bad rifle for $400. I have a Nikon P-Tactical 3x9 scope on the way for it, as well as some AICS magazines. Will Call Ruger in the morning and get the magazine conversion kit on the way.

My FFL is a fan of the rifle and suggested an Axis MFG muzzle brake for it since the light little rifle can hurt with warm hunting loads.

Can't wait to get the scope in and see what it can do at the range.

Attachment 282485
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

It looks like a very useful rifle & cartridge combo. I prefer good recoil pads to muzzle brakes but that's my opinion only. I like the olive stock better than black, too. Let us know how it shakes out please.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Really hoping that it likes the loads I developed for my AR-10 .308. Would make life a little easier.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

USMC 77, USRA 79

i bet the AR 10 stuff you have will prove to be a bit warmer just to cycle the action. not a requirement here so you can go either way.. the soft lead bullet with economical 6gr red dot plink power or a xbr8208 barn burner... i just love the 308 as a primary multi purpose round. you can go so far in any direction, there is bound to be music in just about any gun. i have several from old mauser to inexpensive axis through ar-10. you can pound it with fast heavy's wearing jackets or slo softies wearing gas checks, and about all of them kill well. i am a fan. it looks fairly short as well so looks real cool for scrub or mountain trees... prolly gunna be a real nice shooter.. bet you will like it a whole lot better shooting red dot with a 150
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

I got one in 6.5 Creedmoor about a year ago because I was curious about both the caliber and the rifles. Very, very impressed by how well it shot immediately. Almost too easy.

I wouldn't mess with a muzzle break, it's a .308, not a dangerous game rifle.

I am pretty interested in the .223 version of that rifle with Magpul AR Mags. It would be the rifle of choice for Urban Combat if they are successful at confiscating our Semi Autos. Close to the firepower and magazine capacity, but in a more friendly and non scary platform that unwitting fools would not take offense to.

I'd run a Red Dot Sight on it as that would enhance the handling of the gun dramatically.

The option of 10,20 or 30 round mags is a great feature.

I like em'

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Scope came in today so I mounted it before I had to go to work. It's a little bigger than I wanted, but this rifle will be used up to 500 yards, and my eyes aren't getting any younger, so I guess I can put up with another inch in scope length and a few more ounces of weight in order to hit what I'm aiming at.

Total length is 39" and weight without ammo is 7.8 lbs.

Attachment 282614

Attachment 282615

Boolit Master

Heading to the range tomorrow to see what it can do. Gave it a camo job today and am now working on some loads for it. Seems the Predators like the lighter 150 grain stuff with 4895, so will load some tonight.

Attachment 282728

Banned
    I have the same rifle with a Burris Fullfield 3x9 on it. I have never fired jacketed rounds in it but it shoots just over MOA with the Lee 150 FN sized to .311" loaded over 25 gr of IMR 3031.

It also shoots the Lee C312-155 sized to .311" over 2400 and Reloder 7 just as well.

I was stunned at the accuracy of this "entry level" rifle. My son liked it so much he bought a similar one, the Ranch rifle in 7.62 X 39. It is an equally good shooter.

I put a cheap bipod on mine and I will be trying it at the 300 yard range later this week.

Good choice on your part.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

It's amazing how accurate these rifles are in the hands of "regular" folks like us.

I tried the factory trigger and it was crisp at 4.75 lbs. Not bad for a hunting rifle, and great compared to the 5.5 lb trigger on my Ruger M77. I went on YouTube and discovered that the Ruger American series rifles can be adjusted down to 3 lbs by taking the action out of the stock and using an allen wrench to back out a set screw. I did this to mine and got it to 3.75 lbs. Crisp and feels about right for a hunting rifle.

Ended up loading up 15 rounds of 42 grains of 4895 under a 150 grain Hornady soft-point and another 15 rounds of 40 grains of 4895 under a 150 grain Hornady boat tail bullet. I'll be happy if I can get 1/2" groups at 100 yards tomorrow.

Banned
    I will be watching because I am sitting on a pile of 150 gr jacketed bullets. Thanks for the update.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

my ruger predator in .308 has brought home every deer it's been aimed at.

i'm only shooting 170gn cast over 2400.

a nikon 3-9x40 buckmaster provides optics.

i'm sure you'll be happy with yours
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

Had a great day at the range with my brother. He's a local Detective and new father, so he hasn't been able to go shoot for months.

He compensated by bringing around 8 different rifles and shotguns in every configuration and shot from 8:30 am to when it started pouring down rain at 3:30 PM. I work graveyard shift, so I showed up around 11:00 with the Ruger Predator, my AR Pistol, a Glock Gen 5 G23, and a Remington R1 Limited 1911 in .40 S&W.

We met out in the Idaho woods at the site of a former clay mining operation in the 40's and set up targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards.

Attachment 282790

Attachment 282791

The weather was sunny and 62 in town, dark and foreboding at the range and 50. Then it was sunny. Then it was cloudy, then it was windy, then it was calm, then it poured rain. Such is Idaho in the Spring.

Attachment 282792

I tried 6 different loads in the Predator. I get the impression that the rifle will shoot better than I can, with out of date prescription glasses, 20 mph wind gusts, and a moving target.

Best group of the day was using 178 gr. Hornady ELDX hunting bullets over 42 grains of Varget. 7/8".

Attachment 282793

Close behind was the 150 gr. Hornady SP Interlock bullet with 42 grains of 4895 and el cheapo Hornady 150 gr BT and 40 grains of 4895. Got consistent 1" groups with both loads. Rifle did well with everything except 165 grain Noslers. Hated them.

The longer I shot, the tighter the groups got. That 3.75 lb trigger was a bit too heavy for target work, so will probably back it down to 3 lbs when I take the rifle apart for the magazine well modification this week.

1" groups with hunting bullets is pretty good in my book, and I was feeling pretty pleased with myself, until my brother uncased his tack driver; a Remington 700 SP Tactical in a Magpul stock and a 4 x 16 scope in .308.

After a minor setback (worth a whole new thread) his best group made my best group look downright awful...

Attachment 282795

All in all, it was a great day. Got to spend several precious hours with my brother and not firearms were damaged and nobody was injured. My rifle performed acceptably for hunting with no malfunctions, and the recoil was manageable with all loads. So, it was indeed a great day.

Boolit Grand Master

That rifle looks like it will shoot. I'm surprised a little that it did as well or nearly with both the 178gr and 150gr.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I've got an American compact in .308. Shoots those 180 grain Lee boolits over 17 gr. of 2400 into one hole at 50 yds. Holds an inch at 100 with assorted j words. Bedded it into a Boyd's laminated stock which makes it a heavy pig. Should have gone with a walnut model.

It is a blessing living on the edge of the wilderness where there are countless out of the way places to shoot.

Boolit Master

Got the AICS mag conversion kit in from Ruger so installed it this morning. The 10-round magazine is just a bit ridiculous and not needed up here. Ideal for hog hunting, but not elk and deer, unless you are a really bad shot.

The 5-round magazine is perfect, however, and functioned 100%.

Attachment 283050

Attachment 283051