Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Finally, a .45 Colt that doesn't hate me

Finally, a .45 Colt that doesn't hate me

I have gone through several. 45 Colt handguns. They all hated me. Boolis, loads, sizing diameters, didn't matter. They despised me.

Found this guy in the LGS used. It is a twin to a .44 magnum I have. Cylinder had been reamed. Got it for $550 otd.

Tried it today with a Keith boolit over 8.5 of power pistol. Targets are from 25 yards standing 2 hand hold. I missed the plate with one shot . On the paper target two of the low shots were before I adjusted the sights. The third one I pulled.

I think I will keep this one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Wow, that's nice. I'd buy that for 500.00.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Every Ruger Black Hawk I’ve had in 44 magnum and especially 45 Colt had to have throats opened up and then they shot like a completely different gun.

Looks like you lucked into an awesome buy, glad you found one to your liking.

Boolit Master
    Bullet weight 255 grains? And diameter? Asking for a friend who is working up loads for a 275 grain SWC, and trying to figure out what weight of Unique. I suggested starting 10% below 8.5 grains of Bullseye, but I think he's starting at 8 grains.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

255 swc .452.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    255 swc .452.
    I cast that same bullet and with Herco or HS6 it is a tack driver.

Boolit Buddy
    sweet deal considering the times. Very good looking SA.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations with 45LC revolvers. I have several and they all LOVE whatever I feed them. Never any problems or complaints. From 185 up thru 300gn in various designs, 45LC is my favorite cal to load and shoot in revolvers and long guns.

Glad you found a friend!

banger

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Looks like you got a keeper!

A number of years ago, the LGS I like had a used one come in - I went to take a look and would have bought it even if the throats needed reaming (the New Vaquero I had needed a ream job so expected the BH would need it to. Anyway - the BH looked nice until I picked it up and took a look at the cylinder. The previous Bubba who had owned it had done a do-it-youself job and every throat was oval oe eg shaped. It was "walk away" time.

Would still like to have one in 45.

Enjoy!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to confess that I am one of those who is not fond of the 45 Colt. It just doesn't shoot all that well for me, that and the 38 Super are two cartridges that I could do without.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

Glad you got one that likes you! 45 Colt is pretty straightforward really, boolit .001" - .002" bigger than the groove, throats that don't size it down, soft alloy and soft lube, you get accuracy, zero leading and never have to clean the bore.

I have had more 45 Colt revolvers and rifles than any other caliber, I only had problems early on when I didn't understand the relationship between cylinder and barrel diameters. I had a convertible that had .456" throats and I was shooting .451" hard cast with crayon hard lube oh man I all but destroyed a Lewis lead remover with that gun, finally sent it back to Ruger and asked for .4515" throats, dang if they didn't send it back in three weeks with .4515" throats, helped a LOT but I was still stupid and kept shooting those hard cast boolits with hard lube, oh jeez it was a mess.

This was the early 1990s and i didn't even know what a pin gage was, I caught hell with that Ruger trying to come to grips with it. Back then there was no internet, no cast boolits forum, sheesh do we have it GOOD up in here these days or what??? I learned SO much since I have been here, I owe the members here a good deal of respect and thanks, and now you fellas are reaping the benefits of my ongoing knowledge and experience every time you get a cylinder back knowing it's been sized to the optimum diameter, to come and learn and not share, not further this knowledge, cuts others short in the long run. How did Pat Travers say it? Go for what you know? Works for me!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 05-05-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

those accusport bisleys are great guns. Had the same pair as you years ago. One of the mistakes i made was trading them. Especially the 44 mag as it was a tack driver with about any load. Actually had two of the 45 colts one shot real well the other one not so much. In my opinion probably the best out of the box hunting handguns ever made.

The. 44 will never leave me. Here are some pics of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Like Lloyd mentioned, it's either an Accusport or a Williams depending on year. Either way, a strong revolver.

Mine has been reamed and other stuff done to it but it's still the same as yours. Mine can be picky and tends to like heavier cast bullets pushed harder than standard 45 Colt loads.

When you find what it likes there is no hate.

Boolit Master
    My 45colt Bisley Vaquero shoots a 265class bullet (MP 454-640 HP) with 10.0gr of Power Pistol, Rem 2 1/2 primer, starline brass.....crazy accurate and runs 1080fps out standing load!
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Buddy
    Thumbcocker: I have the same gun. Dougguy did the throats for me and then I fire lapped it to remove the thread choke. Works great now. Mine also has the 45acp cylinder. That's been a separate project but got it working good now.
    Siamese4570