MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Black powder bug

Black powder bug

I’ve got the bug, I’m mad I didn’t get into this many years ago. I’m looking for a revolver and rifle. Something I can cast for. Thank you in advance.

Boolit Master
    If you want to start off cheap, then check your local pawn shops.
    I do that and then do a little restoration on them.
    The last three Thompson Renegades and Hawkens I bought were less than $150.00 each.
    One was in not too bad of shape.
    One was a little worse but had a shootable barrel.
    The third one had a Trashed barrel that I sent to Bobby Hoyt and had it relined to .50 cal.
    I saw several other brands that were shootable and a lot less money.
    I also saw several revolvers , but did purchase two Spanish single shot pistols.
    They just needed a little cleaning and stock refinishing.
    They looked like they were Kits that were put together in a hurry by a beginner.
    But for 1/4 the price of a new kit , they were well worth it.
    I would recommend that you stop and buy a big bottle of Insecticide.
    That Bug that bit you is not going to go away.
    Last edited by LAGS; 05-04-2021 at 10:11 PM.

I just want to learn this skill set of Muzzleloaders. I’m weary of pawn shops as I don’t know what to look for. I want the pistol for fun shooting, rifle the same. I could definitely see my son, he’s 15, or me taking a dear with the rifle on our property. I have a range and we shoot quite often. I’m kinda honed in on an 1858 Remington new army pistol. I like very much the CVA inline rifles, but I want something I can cast for. Thank you for your suggestion LAGS.

Boolit Master
    I didn't mention the In Lines that I saw.
    Those are not my style , but they were Dang Cheap and in good condition.
    Just take a look at what they have , then get a friend to go with you and check them out.
    Or just take pictures and let some of us on this site give their opinion.
    I have found that Pawn Shops and even most Gun Shops don't deal too much in BP guns.
    So used ones sit on their shelves for a long time.
    So most of the time , the shop owners are willing to negotiate a price.
    But I do my own work on all my guns , so I do know exactly what I am looking at.
    I consider what I do ,more of firearms Re Cycling then all out Gunsmithing.
    Last edited by LAGS; 05-04-2021 at 11:14 PM.

As a general rule when looking for a rifle it the parts you can see look worn rusted or not well cared for ,you can bet the parts you can't see are the same or worse .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

First thing buy yourself a bore light from one of the black powder accs. companies like Track of the Wolf. These are little pellet lights you drop down the bore. Then, as mentioned, hit the pawn shops. I am in WV and as a rule the pawn shops don't like to take in traditional style muzzle loaders. But when they do they can be very cheap. But use the bore light and check the barrel for corrosion.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Found a brand new in box Uberti 1858 rem new army, blued. $420. Local gun shop. They also have the same in a Pietta, said it’s fired once. Am I on the right track?

Boolit Buddy
    I have had both Uberti and Pietta through the years and all my Uberti where keepers and most carried for hunting small game or a walk in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    Found a brand new in box Uberti 1858 rem new army, blued. $420. Local gun shop. They also have the same in a Pietta, said it’s fired once. Am I on the right track?
    They are both nice guns. The price reflects the current market. If we are talking about a new, 1858, full size 8" barrel, blued Uberti, I'd say that is about what I would expect to pay.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    That isn't too bad of price in today's economy.
    I just sold a 1851 Colt Navy second generation unfired for $600.00 to a family member since I am not into Modern Style B P stuff.

I’m hoping to get down to the gun shop tomorrow, it’s 40 miles from me. I think the price is quite in line for the New Uberti. My son is 15, I’m thinking about the used Pietta for him. I don’t know the number or condition, they said it was fired once. If a new in box Uberti is $420, what should I expect out of the Pietta? I neglected to ask. I think he would enjoy this side of the reloading hobby. He reloads with me and shoots with me. It’s almost dark here and he’s out calling turkeys with some homemade calls, season ended 4 days ago, he loves the lifestyle.

Boolit Master
    Cap and ball revolvers usually need some tweaking. That's the good thing about used guns - most of the bugs have been worked out, or are at least obvious. It's a good idea to learn how to completely disassemble and assemble these revolvers, right down to every screw, spring, part, etc.
    For what it's worth, I have an original Remington New Model .44, and a Pietta cylinder drops right in. I like Piettas.

Well I came home with the new Uberti, they had already sold the Pietta yesterday afternoon. I was going to buy both. Oh well. The Uberti is beautiful! Locks up tight, trigger is excellent. It will almost be a shame to cut the tags off. I have everything I need to shoot it except the percussion caps, they seem to be rare as hens teeth.

The hell with percussion caps! I watched a video where a guy inserted small pistol primers in a 1/4” clear tubing, cut to a specific length, slipped the tubing over the nipple with primer in tube and Fired off the primers. Well I loaded my new pistol up, after testing function of SPP in tubing, and they all worked. 25g by volume fff Pyrodex, 454 round ball. I’m a happy camper. Looks kinda funny but the ends justify means. I’ve got plenty of stuff to play with, but this cap n ball revolver seems like it’s gonna be pretty fun to learn.

Boolit Mold
    I've been using the slip over plastic (toy)caps for years with only a one in a four or five hundred misfire.
    And they're cheap as dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    The hell with percussion caps! I watched a video where a guy inserted small pistol primers in a 1/4” clear tubing, cut to a specific length, slipped the tubing over the nipple with primer in tube and Fired off the primers. Well I loaded my new pistol up, after testing function of SPP in tubing, and they all worked. 25g by volume fff Pyrodex, 454 round ball. I’m a happy camper. Looks kinda funny but the ends justify means. I’ve got plenty of stuff to play with, but this cap n ball revolver seems like it’s gonna be pretty fun to learn.

I can't quite wrap my head around this. Do you mind posting a couple of pictures?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I can't quite wrap my head around this. Do you mind posting a couple of pictures?
    I can’t post pictures here, pm me with your info and I can text or email some to you.