Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Marlin 50 Alaskan questions.

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar

Marlin 50 Alaskan questions.

Last fall I picked up a Marlin 1895 GBL rifle with some ideas in my head to convert it to a 50 Alaskan. The GBL was manufactured by Remington and has a 18” barrel with a full length 6 round tube and a pistol grip. This one seems to be one of the better examples from Remington, as the barrel seems to be threaded in straight, and it shoots very well, and functions smoothly.

However, that thought is still lingering in the back of my head about how nice it would be to have a light weight brush gun with the muzzle energy equivalent to a full speed locomotive, so I’m back to reading about it.

The early marlin 1895s seem to have used the same barrel threads as the 336, and is not suited for the 50 Alaskan without. Rebarrel. However, it seems like Remington decided to use the heavier thread shank on their rifles, and I should be able to just send the rifle to JES for a rebore.

However, from there I really have no idea what kind of project I’m getting myself into. I’m guessing I will have to open up both the loading gate and ejection port to work with the fat 50 caliber cartridges. I might have to see if I can find a 50 AK dummy round to see what all would have to be done to make it work in the marlin. I’m sure the lifter will also need to be heavily modified.

Anyone here built a 50 AK on a newer marlin? Would love some input before I get in over my head.

http://www.leveractions.com/leveractions.htm

Call Regan Nonneman and ask your .50 Alaskan questions.
    He is likely the man you should ask.
    Good luck!