Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: The 2 Bisleys

The 2 Bisleys

I finally got to handle a BFR Bisley and Ruger Bisley at the same time. I have a couple Ruger Bisley gripped revolvers and always wanted them to be bigger so my hand would fit on the grip and not hang off or impede the hammer and more clearance behind the trigger guard. Well the BFR seems to fill most of those requirements from just a few minutes comparing them to each other. I think I am going to have to buy one and see if I like it as well as I think I will. Now to figure out what caliber to get. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0BE9A22A-D161-44CA-B380-ECD49967997B.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	282433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A29CFB65-F831-4635-A579-8DA04A123342.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	282434

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to replace any of the grip frames on your current bisley's, look at RW Grip frames https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstore...RAMES_c_7.html
    They have everything you mentioned wanting corrected in their grip frames. I have one out getting a set of grips fitted and can't wait to get it back and fitted to my 44.

I had looked at them but I was able to handle these and I know he had said something about doing a clone of BFR. I am sure he has or could make a grip that would fit me about perfect, but I wouldn’t know what to get but if I like the BFR Bisley then I might change the others to that style/profile cause he does some awesome work.

Boolit Master
    If it's something you might want, call him. Ronnie has meat hooks for hands and knows what works and what doesn't for big paws.

Between my shooting partner and I, we have 4 RDW brass gripframes/grips and it wasn't hard at all. The hardest part was shaping the grips to the shape/style we wanted. He already had them fitted to the frame within a couple thousandths so that was easy. Not inexpensive but what a quality product and Ronnie is definitely interesting to talk to.

I have seen and handled a couple of his grips and they are primo. I hope to get out and mess with a BFR Bisley some and see if it fits my hand when it is sending lead down range.

Boolit Master
    I suppose I made an assumption you already had some version of a Blackhawk (and very well may) and wanted to add a larger gripframe. If you're looking to buy a new revolver a wanted a BFR then the BFR it is then.

For me, the shopping and research is always a fun part. Once the $$$ is spent its the waiting game then and I don't enjoy that part much.

Banned

I know the BFR and the Ruger SBH standard grip frame are identical, not sure about the Bisley?

I do have a Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk and I will most likely put some money in Ronnies pocket at some point, curse whoever talked me into my first 44. I am still new to the revolver world and I had wondered how different “Bisley. “ style grips fit my hand and compared in size. Not many places around here to handle a BFR Bisley so I thought I would show some of the other neophytes like me the difference in hand room. I do appreciate( I think, because that is going to cost me money too) being referred to Ronnie. As you mentioned he seems to face similar grip problems. The difference between him and I is that he was smarter, more talented and did something about it and he is also going to eventually get my money. I would love to have all my grip frames and grips be the same on all my SA revolvers as to my mind that would make it easier to go from one to another, I know the balance and sight picture would change but home for the hand would be close and hopefully comfortable.

Boolit Grand Master
    Love my bisley Blackhawk 44 special
    I hate the knuckle bust I get every once in awhile
    I never knew anyone made better designs for this bisley
    glad to have the link and saved it
    I will need to get a set at some point
    how are the grip panels ?do they need to be fitted by me or do they take care of that ?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    If Im not mistaken, Ronnies grip panels are sent to you thick so you can shape them how you want. But they are fitted to the grip frame a little proud along the front strap, back strap, and bottom.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Banner Sponsor

The BFR comes in some great calibers. You could always get the 500 Linebaugh. It shoots .510" bullets instead of those wimpy .500" bullets the 500 Smith or JRH shoot
    I have a 500 JRH BFR and really like it. You top out on bullet weight around 475-480 grains because of the thickness of the cases' web. If you want to shoot 525s, then the Linebaugh will get you there. I also have a BFR in 475 Linebaugh, it's alot of fun to shoot also.
    The BFR Bisley does look interesting, I may have to get one. I wish they would do a long frame in 50-70...