Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 10" 357 Max with T/C 2-7 scope

Boolit Master

10" 357 Max with T/C 2-7 scope

I picked up a pretty nice 357 max barrel with a TC 2-7 scope. Was wondering about the quality of the scope and what loads to shoot in the max. Of course it has the tapered leade instead of a rifle throat, but will it shoot accurately as-is. might like to see if it'll shoot some 300 grain subsonic. if so, I may see about threading it for my suppressor (if bullets are stable).

I still haven't shot it, so need to start somewhere. I have a NOE 180gr GC wfn mold and three rifle molds 200-225 grain GC as well as the 35 thumper.

Be a shame to shoot 38 special or 357 mag velocities, but that is likely where I'll stay. The heavier bullets will give it a little more power anyway

Thanks. if anyone has a pet load for a factory TC 10" 357 max, I'm all ears.

Got $200 in the barrel and scope. Guess its a pretty good deal. wasn't sure about the scope when I got it.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 10” 357max contender barrel, must have been 6 months ago. Have 50 factory rounds and 50 pieces more of brass. Just haven’t gotten it out to the range.

Lots of info over at bellm’s website.

Boolit Master
    I own a pair of T/C barrels in .357 Max. One is 10" & the other is the 14".
    First off, the scope is a GOOD scope. I have a couple of those as well.

As for the bullet selection. I'd keep it in the 180-200 grn range. And pistol bullets have proven the best for me. I tried the Hornady 35 cal rifle bullet many years ago, using all kinds of powders & charges. The accuracy just wasn't there. The 180 grn XTP's would shoot groups 1/2 the size of the others.

Now, since we are casters,, I can HIGHLY,, HIGHLY recommend you try & find a mold made to the specs that Lee Martin & David Bradshaw built JUST FOR THE .357 Maxi. You can get a LOT more details over on the single actions forum. I personally own a pair of those molds, and will not part with either one. Originally, they were made by Mountain Molds, but he's retired. I think Accurate Arms or whomever is able to duplicate it.
    Use a G/C, powder coat it, and it will be a PLEASANT surprise. I just used the loading that David recommended and he was not wrong. At 100 yds,, in a T/C, from a bench, I've managed some seriously good groups, that most wouldn't think possible.
    BTW; David, helped in the testing & design of the Ruger .357 Maximum revolver. He knows the guns & caliber,,,!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I bought a 10” 357max contender barrel, must have been 6 months ago. Have 50 factory rounds and 50 pieces more of brass. Just haven’t gotten it out to the range.

Lots of info over at bellm’s website.
    What’s bellm’s website?

I’m looking for a scope for a 14” .357 max.

Groo here
    I would stay with 200gr or so [no more than 250] and only at 357mag or Max speeds.
    The problem is the twist.
    Need many FPS to spin up a long bullet to be stable...
    The leade can be helped by long seating the boolet.
    Single shots don't have much OAL problems.
    There is some data for the 35rem 180 and 200 gr jacket rounds.
    Anything bigger or harder than that, hard cast is best.
    For supressed work, use 38 cases and loads, and there is 38 spec 200gr lead data.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    What’s bellm’s website?

I’m looking for a scope for a 14” .357 max.
    His son’s commercial website is https://www.bellmtcs.com/

I don’t remember where he was a prolific forum poster, but he also owned 357maximum.net at one time and may have some useful info there.

Neither will be a good source for buying an optic, and I admit that I’m jealous of the OP for getting his outstanding optic for essentially free. Nice score to be sure!

Moderator Emeritus

I like the 358627 over 14-15 gr 2400 for an easy plinker, if you call 220 gr a plinker. The 180 fn copy of the LBT 185 fn that was run here 7 or 8 times in the late 90's early 00's is good also. Use a slow pistol powder and work up your loads. 2400, AA9, H110/WW296, 1680 are a few. If you search you might find some data for MP300.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze