Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Firearms Industry Model D

Boolit Master

Firearms Industry Model D

So a friend of mine has had one of these in the console of his truck for years. He brought by to see if I could find him a buyer for it. I said I'll buy it it would look good beside my 1911. He looked at my 1911 sitting on the side table by my chair and I guess he had a light bulb go off and said he doesn't want to sell it now.

Function is perfect, it's not beat up but the years in the truck has caused some slight pitting and it doesn't have much blue left. He asked me if I reblue for him will it hurt resale value later. I said I don't think so since it's not a Colt but thought I would ask before I told him I would.

Got to admit that's one I never heard of, a Firearms Industry Model D.

There are two basic philosophies about re-bluing. First one, re-bluing destroys collector value, and a firearm has to be in such tragic condition that it's already of low value and re-bluing it can only improve it.

Second is that some folks like their firearms to look as good as it possibly can and re-bluing it will achieve that goal. Some firearms were inexpensive to start with, and will always be inexpensive, so why not?

DG

Boolit Buddy
    A pitted FI Model D with the blue worn off isn’t really a collector grade pistol, so if he wants to have it reblued, it’s probably not gonna hurt the value any. JMHO.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the dichotomy.
    1. I'm not going to sell it.
    2. Will refinishing affect the value?

It makes me smile because I know I do it myself

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    FI mostly imported guns from a variety of manufacturers. Is this pistol from Spain? Sounds like a Star to me.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^This is it. Firearms Industry (Not to be confused with FIE) Model D is the same thing as the Star Model D, aka Colt Pony, Iver Johnson .380, Galef and probably some other importers. It was a Starfire, with minor modifications to get it past the BS of GCA 1968 size regulations. They were made in Spain starting before WW II and while improved and modified along the way, were continued in production right up until Star was put out of business back in the late 90's. If you come across one with the Colt markings, they are quite rare and worth a premium. Otherwise, they are roughly worth what you'd pay for a Bersa .380 in comparable condition.

Unless it says Colt Pony on the slide.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    These pistols will function with the Colt Govt Model .380 magazine, if one does not mind it protruding from the butt.

Boolit Master
    It doesn't have Colt pony on it so I'm going to tell him it is up to him. My wife's uncle had a real Colt and I hope his son has it now.