RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schuetzen Question

Bullshot,

It is awkward off the bench, indeed. I shot my Aydt for the first time a few days ago with Lee 180 grain gas check 8 mm (0.323") boolits and it shot reasonably well, although nothing to write home about. They were made to shoot off-hand, so I am going to cut a 4X4 and clamp it to the metal post of the cover over the benches at the range so I can rest the barrel on it and shoot off-hand. I can't shoot for sour apples off-hand without a rest!
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved"

Boolit Master
    You can just place one in the chamber on the bags and slide it along with the plugged case then it gets seated when closed.
    I just use a back of a pencil sometimes with a bullet I use as I can push it home with one.
    A firm hand seat and it is as far as it will go without using a big lever to mush the lead in.
    It just has to sit against the throat/ grooves etc.
    If you look down the muzzle and see daylight around the bullet you may have to seat deeper but try that first..
    I’m no expert like the others but I don’t need to swage a bullet into the rifling for my gun to shoot it just has to seal and be there consistently.

You know if you got a good seal.
    Pop a primer and if the case wants to self extract under pressure , your golden.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    HEY! I like that! Smart!
    Threaded means adjustable I assume. Very good!
    Thanks and yes it is meant to be adjustable since I haven't been able to do any testing. I made another for my rolling block 45-70. One of these days I'll get out there...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Great to have adjustment for seating depth. But how do you push the bullet into the rifling with this device?
    I plan to seat set the boolits a few thousandths long, so it just takes light pressure to close the breach, which results in a very light press-fit. In theory. I have a handful of expanded cases fitted up (some trimming/turning required).
    Last edited by JSnover; 05-10-2021 at 08:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bullshot View Post
    I just went through the same questions. I bought an AYDT style rifle. My bore measures .318 and groove is .322. Chamber cast shows a funnel type chamber
    I was interested in a stop ring bullet, the one I questioned was an NOE 180 gr. The dimensions were, bore .327, groove .322 and the stop ring at .334. I'm thinking where does all the lead go from the stop ring. Well I still don't know. I guess it just gets swaged in the funnel chamber. I did buy the NOE and it shoots well but I have tied some grease groove types ranging from 165 gr to 220 gr and they shoot pretty much the same as the stop ring. Doing my part I can get right around an inch at 100 yds. Been using Imr 4227 and pull down WC 820 both with similar results. Good luck with yours. They are fun to shoot. A little awkward off the bench. Well really awkward but doable and with the minimal recoil.
    If you decide to try a stop ring boolit, BACO usually has molds cut to various sizes for these chambers

JSnover,

How much adjustment are you able to get out of the case and threaded rod tool that you made? I got some 8 mm rod in the mail today and am thinking about making one of those tools.
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

With my Haenel I just barely size the neck and seat just enough to grab the bullet base, then slide it into the chamber and close it up. it seems to work okay.
    David
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1874Sharps View Post
    JSnover,

How much adjustment are you able to get out of the case and threaded rod tool that you made? I got some 8 mm rod in the mail today and am thinking about making one of those tools.
    A good 1/8" I guess. There's probably 1/4" of usable thread, but the plug is long enough that I'll never need that much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David todd View Post
    With my Haenel I just barely size the neck and seat just enough to grab the bullet base, then slide it into the chamber and close it up. it seems to work okay.
    David
    That's the simplest option. But I had a lot of time on my hands...

Y'all have given me many great ideas and suggestions. I think I have a starting point to begin experimenting.
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

JSnover,

You inspired me to make a similar breech seating tool. Even the little German guy carved on my Schuetzen's buttstock is celebrating!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breech Seating Tool Front.jpg   Little German Carving.jpg  
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

Bullshot,

It is awkward off the bench, indeed. I shot my Aydt for the first time a few days ago with Lee 180 grain gas check 8 mm (0.323") boolits and it shot reasonably well, although nothing to write home about. They were made to shoot off-hand, so I am going to cut a 4X4 and clamp it to the metal post of the cover over the benches at the range so I can rest the barrel on it and shoot off-hand. I can't shoot for sour apples off-hand without a rest!
    Just as a bit of a derail, what powder are you using in your AYDT? I use both 4759 and Trail Boss and have had reasonable 200 meter groups with 13 grains of 4759 and 8.5 grains of Trail Boss
    David

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    For the good of of the order ... I have 2 German 8.15x 46R Schuetzen rifles and have had better accuracy to 300 yds using the Dr Hudson 32-40 tapered bullet in fixed case reloads more accurate than stop ring bullet reloads
    Regards
    John

I have been using 13.5 grains of IMR 4227 with the Lee 180 grain gas check boolit, but have only shot about 10 shots through it. I made some 8.15X46R cases from a few 25-35 Winchester cases I had on hand. I have 20 properly head stamped cases on backorder from Graf & Sons, but am still waiting on them and am therefore rather brass limited. Perhaps I can order a multi-cavity mold from Tom at Accurate Molds with a stop ring and a Dr. Hudson cavity. BTW, I just got my first ever mold from Tom for a 41 Swiss and am very impressed by the great quality!
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

Boolit Master
    Huntington Die Specialties had new Norma brass last summer.

Boolit Master
    JSnover,

You inspired me to make a similar breech seating tool. Even the little German guy carved on my Schuetzen's buttstock is celebrating!
    Nice!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    For the good of of the order ... I have 2 German 8.15x 46R Schuetzen rifles and have had better accuracy to 300 yds using the Dr Hudson 32-40 tapered bullet in fixed case reloads more accurate than stop ring bullet reloads
    Yeah, it does seem like the majority are having better luck with 'normal' boolits and fixed cases.

I have found that seating the bullet fully into the rifling is the most accurate way for my guns. At least with the bullet base even with the case mouth, or 1/16" beyond the case mouth.
    I use tapered bullet molds to cast bullets that have the base band .001" larger than groove diameter, and forward bands gradually smaller as they go up to the nose. These allow the bullets to seal, and eliminate leading, but also breech seat with ease.
    I still don't see how these cases shown here can fully seat a bullet into the rifling as they should? It seems they can only guide the bullet to the rifling, but wouldn't allow the bullet to be pushed into the rifling without something else pushing hard enough to seat the bullet fully?
    I have numerous types of breech seaters, depending on the rifles I'm shooting. Each takes it's own style to be able to seat fully and all have mechanical advantage to do so easily.

Ballard seater:

Rem. Hepburn seater:

Ballard seater:

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

No two chambers are alike in these rifles - most are 8.15x46R's and some were 7.7x46R's.

Grove diameters vary from .315 to .323

Since your barrel is marked 7.7, I would opine that contrary to the 8.15x46R marking, you have a 7.7x46R

Some barrels are proofed and rifled for jacketed projectiles, for some cast boolits, and some are breech seated stop ring bullets.

With a .323" bore, I would used cast boolits intended for the .32-40

Interesting note, yesterday out of curiosity I took the forend off my Haenel.
    The top of the barrel is marked 8.115X46R, but the underneath of the barrel is stamped 7.7, which explains why it slugs out nicely with a .314 bullet!
    David

A lot of different bore and groove diameters among 8.15x46R barrels. There doesn't seem to really be a standard size.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast