MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Webley Auto brass

Boolit Buddy

Webley Auto brass

A Webley Auto pistol showed up and needed ammo, ran of a half dozen cases and loaded them with 45 RN lead to see what would work. Used 45 colt cases shortened to .930 and opened the extractor cut a smidge and took the rim dia to .495 to ease the mag lip passage. They fed nicely and chambered perfect. Now just waiting on the test firing.. Clunky looking piece, but kinda neat..

The 455 Webley Auto is a true oddity. Please keep us posted ho the test firing results.

Boolit Bub

Know anyone who needs .45 auto rim ?? just found a bunch in the darks of the loading room .

Boolit Buddy

The test firing went well today, The rounds all chambered and fired, some didnt cycle the action, but that was expected. I loaded light and worked up to my std 45acp level light ball which cycled fine. Now to refine the OAL for the feeding out of the magazine. I noticed that Starline makes a 45 short cowboy case that is almost dimensionally the same as what I am making except for the extractor cut. I was gifted with a sample of this brass from Erich, a member here, but whom I contacted on the S&W Sight. They will work Perfectly for making the Webley ammunition by just opening the extractor cut and turning the rim dia. to .495 from the .510 of the Colt case. I think I'll try some with the full dia rim just to see if it will clear the magazine lips. I settled on .905 for the case length, as the Webley chamber is generous and has a throat like a revolver cylinder..

The pistol is fairly accurate considering the under size bullets I'm using and pleasant to shoot. More testing this week maybe...

Boolit Master

Fascinating - video would be nice to see, if at all possible
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy

There is a video that Ian made shooting the Webley Auto. U Toob....

Boolit Master

Ahhh, I missed that - found it, thanks:

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy

This project came to a successful final test firing using short nose profile 200gr RNL and the modified 45 cowboy cases that Erich supplied and a dose of REX 2 powder just strong enough to get the ejection reliable. The accuracy was surprising considering the under size bullets(.451bullet/.456 bore) and oversize chamber, and right on POA at 15 yards.
    I used 44mag shell holder, 45 Colt size die and 45acp seater and roll crimp dies, kinda neck sizing after the first firing to keep from working the brass to hard. I also used the .900 case length instead of the .930 just to keep all the brass the same. Only lost ONE case, grabbed the wrong size die and found the .45 dont go into .44 worth a hoot, leverage didnt care. Fun project and decent results.