MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discussion about 38 special wadcutters for target use.

At such low velocities what difference does it make? You can run a solid WC per weight same as any style of cast boolit. You can’t with most HBWCs. Depending on alloy how skirt will hold up. The accuracy of loads will be the individual gun as with anything else. I load WCs exclusively in my S&Ws. 38sp- 44sp- 45AR & 45 Colt. I pour my own and favor button nose. I don’t have much experience with my own HBWCs. haven’t had chance to shoot many. Have shot a lot of Hornady 38 HBWCs with outstanding results. Have bought HBWC 44 not used yet.
    The only thing I disagree with in above posts is physical mass doesn’t mean equal volume. A solid cylinder is a pretty economical package for weight. If you want to get technical anything extra to cylinder will increase its surface area.

I agree with Tazman here mainly due to his logic. I load my wadcitters for my Model 10, the only 38spl revolver in my safe right now. The gun loves it using 700X or Bullseye. I have more of the former. I now have my old .41LC 1892 converted to 38spl via a 38LC cylinder and a new barrel. I cracked the old 41LC forcing cone. The gun remains an antique under our insanely stupid gun laws. The gun is very accurate in it's new dress SA using Dominion cases and the RCBS WC bullet.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 05-09-2021 at 11:54 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Back in the ‘90’s and early 2,000’s when I was at my peak shooting PPC, Itoo shot cast DE wadcutters at the “short” lines. (7,15,25yds). At 50yds in matches I’d use either Star or Precision Delta hollow base wadcutters.
    I used the same powder charge (2.7 Bullseye, or 2.9gr HP38/231).
    I had to make a 1-click elevation and 2-click windage change for the HB wadcutters. I don’t shoot well enough anymore to justify the price of HB wadcutters.
    Circa 2003, a friend I was giving some of my cast wadcutters to for practice and league matches tried them through his PPC gun at 50yds from a Ransom rest. They shot 1.5”!
    He hasn’t bought hollow base swagged wadcutters in 17yrs.
    Neither have I!
    (Yeah I know,.... Lee 148TL with w/w, range scrap, and a tad of 95/5 leadfree solder, LLA thinned w/paint thinner, sized .358”...)

G.E. Fryxell has a lot to say about the WC...chp .11 > http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap..._Wadcutter.htm
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for posting that link Charlie. Brought back memories. My first mold was a 10 cavity H&G #50. That thing would rain bullets.
    Don Verna

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Current issue of The Fouling Shot #271 has a followup by Bill Duncan on testing .38 Special wadcutters at 100 yards.

Earlier issue #258 has background on his earlier 200-yard testing and details on his fast-twist PPC gun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12