RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Savage 301 12 gauge

Boolit Bub

Savage 301 12 gauge

Long story short Ive sold and given away so many shotguns to family and friends that Im all out, lol.
    I didnt realize the "election" was going to go the way it did or Id have held on to at least two of my 12 gauges.
    So I was looking for a single shot 12g. Couldnt find one anywhere around here and ended up with a Mossy 88 that actually seems to be preferable to me over my old 500s and 535s (like the trigger guard safety).

Anyway...I got the HD model...8 shot tube....so it also is cylinder bore, which is exactly what I wanted.

but i did finally get desperate for a single shot 12g and found new Savage 301 on gunbroker.com (never purchased from there yet) for an acceptable price.

Now for the question.
    I also ordered a .660 ball mold from MartysArms. I know it wont be a problem in the cylinder bore 88....but the new 301 will have a modified choke.
    Will a .660 solid ball run down a modified choke in a shot cup?
    How about with no cup if it comes down to it?

The balls will NOT be being used for hunting or anything that requires accuracy beyond a zombie invasion. lol....so hitting a zombie torso at no more than 20 feet is all Im looking for. Just a doomsday kind of thing 'just in case' the world blows up and I want to recast bird shot into lead balls for cheap 'slugs'. I'll be using commercial slugs for hunting.

- Will a .660 ball slide out a modified choke with a cup? And if not, how about without the cup?

edit to add..Im very willing to just buy the cylinder bore choke...Im just curious about the modified.
    Last edited by Mossy88; 05-03-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Yes it will be safe to shoot through a modified choke. As far as sliding through if you were to take a cleaning rod and push the shot cup or wad through without the ball in it there would be some friction going through the choke.
    The plastic wad or cup is soft enough to compress and with a .660 lead ball it will pose no problem.

jedman

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Yes it will be safe to shoot through a modified choke. As far as sliding through if you were to take a cleaning rod and push the shot cup or wad through without the ball in it there would be some friction going through the choke.
    The plastic wad or cup is soft enough to compress and with a .660 lead ball it will pose no problem.

jedman
    Hey thanks for the info !
    Ive been reloading for handguns for a long time but havent messed with shotguns much.
    I might get a Lee loader here at some point.....IF I can find primers, that is lol

Boolit Bub
    I dont want to start a whole new thread for this gun....but does someone know more about chokes?
    Its been SOOO long since i had a shotgun with a removeable choke Ive forgotten most of what I used to know.
    the last bunch of shotguns Ive owned either had the barrels docked shorter and the choke was just gone...or they had just a 'choked' barrel that couldnt be changed.
    All I really want is to replace the modified that comes with it with a cylinder bore and leave it like that.
    I'd almost just prefer to dock the barrel just below the choke threads, but Ill probably not go that route because I do want to hunt with it.
    So the Stevens 12 gauge 301....what chokes am I looking for, anyone know?
    Last edited by Mossy88; 05-06-2021 at 11:25 PM.

I’m not familiar with the Savage Stevens 301- but my 870 has IC, Modified, and Full tubes. The IC and Full have rarely been needed for birdgun duties because the Modified works for me.
    Contact Savage for a choke tube, maybe?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I’m not familiar with the Savage Stevens 301- but my 870 has IC, Modified, and Full tubes. The IC and Full have rarely been needed for birdgun duties because the Modified works for me.
    Contact Savage for a choke tube, maybe?
    Thanks. Yeah, Im probably going to have to do that, lol. I think it uses win-choke, but as usual for me not absolutely sure.
    the shotgun is out for delivery today. I'll probably have the gun at the gun store take it out and see what he has in stock.
    Thinking at this point that I'll get a cylinder bore and a rifled choke to go along with this Lee 1oz slug mold I got a bit ago. Read a lot of posts saying the 1oz can have some serious flyers if its not coming out a rifled choke due to the ass end being heavier than it is on the 7/8oz slug.

edit....yeah...just called Savage.....Chokes that are for Winchester / Mossberg 500 / Browning Invector apparently are what it uses.
    https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/216369
    Last edited by Mossy88; 05-07-2021 at 09:41 AM.