RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Primer Pocket Swage

Boolit Master

Primer Pocket Swage

So, I got myself a Dillon primer pocket swage. What has been your experience in terms of case head thickness? I.E. is the thickness the same between say 303 and 30-06 or 8mm? My sense is there will be little if any variation to deal with when setting the unit up to swage----yes? no? I guess the real question is whether there is any significant difference in head-thickness between various military cases?
    R.D.M.

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    I guess the real question is whether there is any significant difference in head-thickness between various military cases?
    Yes, internal dimensions of cartridge cases are all over the place. Hardness varies quite a lot also.

Boolit Master
    Even in just one caliber, there are significant variations and you will have to make adjustments to the tool. Besides, where are you getting quantities of either 8X57 or .303 brass that have crimped Boxer primer pockets?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

The depth is what is critical. Set it deep enough to swage but not so deep as to deform the pocket or the case head.
    You will love the output!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    The depth is what is critical. Set it deep enough to swage but not so deep as to deform the pocket or the case head.
    You will love the output!
    Fish4 bugs brings a good point. While running a bunch of 223 while back some of the brass I swaged felt really tight and I just didn’t pay it no mind. Later When priming them, I found a few that were tight going into the shell holder and the primer didn’t seat fully below the case head !!
    Those were the ones that the case head got deformed. I set them aside not knowing what the reason was.
    Some one had a video on you tube explaining the rod setting on Dillon swagger and how NOT to over adjust it and deform the case head.

Make sure you tighten the nut holding the rod adjustment.
    I think this is a really good machine when set up correctly and it’s quick.
    Your not removing brass which is another method of removing crimp pockets.

Mike
    Last edited by myg30; 05-04-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a RCBS swage die for 223, I really like it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluebird66 View Post
    I use a RCBS swage die for 223, I really like it.
    I bought the RCBS bench mounted unit...because I was cheap.

I later fell into a Dillon Super Swage.

I haven't used the RCBS since. Maybe I should list it for $300 on eBay?
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    So, I got myself a Dillon primer pocket swage. What has been your experience in terms of case head thickness? I.E. is the thickness the same between say 303 and 30-06 or 8mm? My sense is there will be little if any variation to deal with when setting the unit up to swage----yes? no? I guess the real question is whether there is any significant difference in head-thickness between various military cases?
    I use the Dillon super swage, for 5.56 and didn’t pay attention to setting the rod. Went thru about 2000 thinking was doing right.

Nada, most did ok but quite a few didn’t swage at all. Must pay attention to what your doing, my fault completely.

If you think it not doing any thing, it’s probably not. Adjust rod for harder swage.

Boolit Master
    After I posted this question yesterday I recognized that what you all are saying should have been obvious to me, since primers only come in large/small so there is no variation in the actual primer cavity(s). To answer the question of where I got/get quantities of 303 & 8mm brass, it comes in bits and drabs from different sources. Just last week I was gifted a kitty litter box full of many different calibers of brass (about 25 pounds). There was even 21 loaded 308 blanks. Some of the cases are is military and some are commercial. Over the years I have collected a fair amount of military brass with crimped pockets and it has been my practice to just hoard it up for a day when I may not have any commercial stuff. The box I got last week had about 200 303 and almost that many 7.92 along with some commercial stuff.
    R.D.M.

After I posted this question yesterday I recognized that what you all are saying should have been obvious to me, since primers only come in large/small so there is no variation in the actual primer cavity(s). To answer the question of where I got/get quantities of 303 & 8mm brass, it comes in bits and drabs from different sources. Just last week I was gifted a kitty litter box full of many different calibers of brass (about 25 pounds). There was even 21 loaded 308 blanks. Some of the cases are is military and some are commercial. Over the years I have collected a fair amount of military brass with crimped pockets and it has been my practice to just hoard it up for a day when I may not have any commercial stuff. The box I got last week had about 200 303 and almost that many 7.92 along with some commercial stuff.
    I have a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm military for "some day" projects.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Maybe I’m doing something wrong but I really haven’t had any problems with the Super Swage damaging brass since I made a molded saddle to locate 5.56 consistently. Prior to that I would get a case in off center and smear the edge of a primer pocket and ruin it. I’ve loaded a lot of surplus 5.56 brass and they all primed and loaded as expected.

Look at YouTube videos on the Super Swage that show how to make it eject cases automatically. That will speed productivity tremendously.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    David2011---Would you please describe the "molded saddle"? How it is placed and removed? Thanks.
    R.D.M.

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Maybe I’m doing something wrong but I really haven’t had any problems with the Super Swage damaging brass since I made a molded saddle to locate 5.56 consistently. Prior to that I would get a case in off center and smear the edge of a primer pocket and ruin it. I’ve loaded a lot of surplus 5.56 brass and they all primed and loaded as expected.

Look at YouTube videos on the Super Swage that show how to make it eject cases automatically. That will speed productivity tremendously.
    So you made something like this? Dillon Super Swage 600 Inserts