Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hi-Tek vs Powder Coat

Hi-Tek vs Powder Coat

I love powder coat and shoot it for most of my boolits.

But I've had some feeding problems with some rounds in AR platform guns. So, I'm attempting a test at Hi-Tek since it is a thinner coating.

The rifles I use PC with and have had some intermittent issues with are 300 BO and 350 legend.

I have started my experiment with the 350 legend and cast about 500 accurate 36-180LGs and Hi-Tek'd about 250 of them. I'm going to use virgin brass and see if I can get 250 rounds with no Jams. Right now, I'm getting a jam in the 50-100 round range. These mainly have to do with boogers from the PC getting held up on a lands and not going 100% into battery.

One thing to note - on the 350 legend, I found I get better feeding in general with a lighter spring (Yellow springco spring). With 300 BO I found that I get the Nemo spring to function/cycle properly.

The hi-tek coating seems to be a little thinner and certainly survives the smash test...

Does anyone hi-tek boolits for the AR platform?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    If boogers cause your jams Hitek will fix that.

For me PC is all about nose diameter in 300 BO. Once I found the right bullet it feeds 100%

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I don't load for the AR platform but the problems you are talking about are the reasons I use a lot more hi-tek than powder coat. It's thinner and it's easier to get a smooth consistent coating with.

Boolit Bub
    Good to know I’m getting ready to cast and coat for the 350 legend ar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

My Anchor is holding fast!

Hanging up on the drive band or nose? I tried HiTek in HV rifle, didn't work so good. I rigged up a checker for BO, tests for ogive too far out. Shot a bunch of PCd and no problem. Catches ones I need to seat a couple thous. deeper - before I crimp.
    edit: the hitek I tried was 2 coats (powder) gold, alloy was very hard, WD after 2nd cook and bullet was 145gr PB in BO pushed 2k fps. Not accurate and leaded. Same load PC (Smoke's red) worked fine.
    Last edited by popper; 05-05-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    Whatever!

I tried HT vs PC in my 6.8 @ near 2000fps, no gc. I found accuracy terrible with the HT, but the PC held up. I want to play with a harder alloy & see if accuracy improves though.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Interesting.

My initial testing is about 200 Accurate 36-180LGs that are Gas Check'd and will be loaded on top of Norma 200. With the PC version I have tested, I got right at 2020 fps with a very small ES of 9 fps on the 5 rounds of that load I chrono'd. The accuracy was very good.

So, it'll be interesting to see if I get similar results to the PC boolits. I guess I will load up 50 so I don't have to pull too many if things don't turn out well.
    WWG1WGA