Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a working PC

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Oh. 300 baud means a phone modem's speed (basically 300 bits/second) for the OLD old accoustical couplers, think 1970s 'net speeds i.e. you REALLY want broadband instead! Most of my post was to tease DougGuy right back, computer related knowledge that's obsolete, a lot, here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_coupler if curious, though.

There are tons of "Old technology" rabbit holes I can send you down, if you REALLY want to learn things that you will probably never find a practical use for. I'm pretty sure others here can do the same! You really might want to go for info you need now, though

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    DougGuy, yeppers, if I try to be technically accurate on computer stuff tho, I tend to get a response -

Imagine someone whose eyes are glazed over, with some smoke coming from their ears, and you imagine you can see "Vacancy. Inquire within" faintly glowing, on their eyeballs. As well as a slight look of horror LOL

Built one of the first dozen hand built PCs in the Seattle area back in the 70s, with a brother, 8008 machine; we're both evil engineering types, I know hardware and software. Unfortunately, I break peoples' brains at times if I try to teach, LOL

(I still prefer Zilog's ASM to Intel's, FWIW LOL. And, long live ZCPR! LOL that was a pain to download at 300 baud...)
    I see you have been introduced to NT4! Talk about loaded with "Gotchas" it is!!

I learned NT4 by breaking it, then making mental notes on what I did to break it and told self "self, do not do that again." It worked. I knew some sheer trickery with NT4. M$ called it New Technology but all of us graybeards know it stands for Not Tonight.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I went and looked it up right after I posted. After reading I had flashbacks of an algebra teacher talking about them in 1999 when he was teaching us binary, that and hexadecimal makes me think he may have been an old computer guy. If you've got sources I can read or forums I can lurk to learn I'd love to know where to go.

DougGuy, I still have install media here somewhere for WFW 3.11, the DOS WFW 3.10 add-on so you can access Winders file servers off 286es, DOS 3 through 6.22, NT 3.5 and 5.0, Win 9x, so much old tech LOL

I need to fix the boot record on a plasma screen Toshiba ?5100? under NT 3.5 some day...

NT, same issues.

0verkill, I've also used Octal a lot, base 8, first good mainframes I had access to were CDC ones, Seymour Cray worked for them before he spun off Cray computing. Unusual interesting machines, pretty sensible design (but no one uses magnetic core memory any more...)

I'd focus first on getting good with using and admining Linux and look at Raspberry Pi's if you want interesting, usable skills, as skills like changing keypunch ribbons are just not really much in demand nowadays. Internet security is going to be a huge issue in the future, as it's a hot mess, due to certain coders not knowing how to code well :/

8008 machine - 4004 was worse. Not much usable till the 8080.
    Whatever!

True! 4 bit machine vs. 8 bit. My mom still has her Z80 (-C i think?) machine, twin 8" 1.2Mb floppies, beautiful wood case. Machine my brother and I made ended up running a PC board driller for his company, I sold my interest in it to him. Burned up in a fire of their shop, sadly.

I still use HP 200LX palmtops, DOS 5 in ROM, handy for me

Lots of technology is changing so fast that it's amazing. Tires no longer self destruct regularly, materials science is sure changed!

Now if some people would just quit needing power over other people...

Boolit Master

i still use a 300 baud modem.

on HF ham radio.

1200 above 50mHz.

i do have a couple 9600bps for uhf.

2 sweet tandy model 102s squirreled away just in case.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

LOL fun memory

Glaciology research team I worked for, replaces the electrolytic caps in Tandy 100s with Tantalum caps, so the caps don't die in -40 temperatures; Then max out the RAM, and stick them in a research project in a waterproof box somewhere like Spitzbergen, Norway, or Ellesmere Island.

Those machines keep working long as you supply power, but MAN do the LCD displays get slow to change at even 20 below zero!

One of the less traditional things I've done, it was quite fun. Put the laptop inside your jacket to warm it up till the display gets usable...

Smart folks in that group, when we brainstormed they did very well, I've worked with far less brilliant bosses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12