Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first from a plank

My first from a plank

Started this on beginning of February finished up a few days ago 45 cal 36" GM barrel chambers lock and rice triggers . Wood is a nice piece of black walnut . Sorta a generic southern / Tenn style with features off of several different originals I liked the looks of . Not in the picture but has a lollipop type long tang except with a diamond at the end to go with the diamond patchbox . I put a primitive rear peep on it because it's about all I can use these days if I wanna hit anything . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1953.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	282354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	282355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1955.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	282356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	282357
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I like it. With the caliber, the walnut stock and the strong wrist on it, to me it looks like a plains rifle. I have one that my great grandfather bought around 1867 of course in percussion, and made by J Henry and Sons, Philadelphia. It is in @42 caliber, walnut stock, and steel furniture. Some of my cousins continued to hunt with it until they were drafted in WWII.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Wow ! You did well, pilgrim !

Very nice work, indeed...…
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Good job. too many are afraid to tackle a plank build. I find them easy to do, and you can make them as you like. Too many kits have sloppy inletting, or the lock mortise out of place. I've not done a Kibler kit, but they apparently have such good CNC work they are almost a drop in build.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Well done!

Boolit Master

Great work!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Good job. too many are afraid to tackle a plank build. I find them easy to do, and you can make them as you like. Too many kits have sloppy inletting, or the lock mortise out of place. I've not done a Kibler kit, but they apparently have such good CNC work they are almost a drop in build.
    Thank you , I've done a few precarved builds in the past First one was with the lock already inlet nothing but problems ! Next couple was just preshapped and I inlet the parts, Better this way but I wanted something more of a challenge so went to the plank route . Yep it was a challenge alright all I had to go on was a butt stock tracing of an original I had to go on just pictures and what seemed "correct" made lots of mistakes but also learned how to correct mistakes too so a good teacher it was .

Boolit Buddy

Fine looking rifle. Always wanted to try my hand at building one but can't get up the gumption to do it.
    I have a tick that once I start a project it's all I think about till it's done. Stay up all night thinking about it. Weather I should do this or that. Yes I sure do envy your skills.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Beautiful job!

Boolit Master

Nice!

Boolit Master
    Very nicely done. I admire you skill and confidence to takle this project!

Pleas post a pic of the sight. Im like you and need a peep to shoot. This has kept me from shooting my muzzleloaders for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post

Pleas post a pic of the sight. Im like you and need a peep to shoot. This has kept me from shooting my muzzleloaders for a while now.
    Thank you Sir , I'll snap a picture of it after work . Real simple to make and you can use your existing hole in the tang may need a longer bolt though or drill and tap a new 8-32 hole

Boolit Master
    Great job, nothing beats building your own from scratch. I went to Rice barrels a while back and bought a 13/16 X 42".40. and I have a couple boards. Due to family concerns it might be a while, can't wait to get started.

I like the poor boy style but don't fret over being to PC. Just make it fit me and please my eyes. Got another one in mind ?

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Great job, nothing beats building your own from scratch. I went to Rice barrels a while back and bought a 13/16 X 42".40. and I have a couple boards. Due to family concerns it might be a while, can't wait to get started.

I like the poor boy style but don't fret over being to PC. Just make it fit me and please my eyes. Got another one in mind ?
    Thanks the next one is gonna be a 20 ga smoothbore not sure what style though

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post

Here's that rear peep Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1979.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	282437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	282438

Boolit Master
    Very intresting sight. I will have to try that!

Boolit Bub
    I have a project going in walnut. 50 cal, 42 inch barrel. Going to be a full stock Hawken. I really like working in walnut. I find it works better than maple.

Boolit Master
    I like working with cherry. Some of my boards are a little thin, dressed 8/4. You can squeeze out a slim rifle if you are careful. I have a curly maple board that you would have to see to believe. Curls are about 1/4 in. wide and solid down the board. Curly maple is a pain in the butt to work but it's worth it.

I agree on the super figured maple . Them chisels gotta be laser sharp all the time . This walnut wasn't too bad at all although I didn't do carving or other fancy work either . Fairly plain cherry is what I'm wanting to use for my fowler

Boolit Master

I think you did extremely well for your first build. I built a .50 Hawken in the mid 70's and I did have some coaching and a little help. Did it from a set of plans I got from the Colorado State museum of an original Hawken rifle. I did not get the lock plate located quite right and the hammer hits the nipple slight off center but I have never had a misfire. Won a lot of matches with it and still have it. I used a browning solution that was made up from an old recipe that I found somewhere and it look really period. I did not polish the barrel at all, I just used some 400 grit sand paper and cleaned it well before putting the browning solution (a slow rust solution) and it turned out like I wanted it too. A slightly dark brown color that had an aged look. It took me almost 3 months working about 2 evening a week. It was a labor of live and I am thinking about doing a southern rifle this winter, maybe a flinter in either .36 or .40. james

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast