Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you cast boolits?

Boolit Master
    I keep about 6,000 9mm on hand, sized and lubed, cast 45 both .452 and .458, for the 45 acp and the new 45-70 Henry.

On average once a month for each, with shortage its been a lot less, cause I shoot less.
    Last edited by Hossfly; 05-03-2021 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Wrong #

Boolit Master

Like some of you I am a weather dependent caster. Unless I want to try a new mold I cast when it is cold. Living in So. California La-La land that means from Thanksgiving to about Easter. Cold around here means it is down to 60.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master

When the weather is right ... not too hot and not too cold .
    When I feel motivated and in the mood .
    My casting sessions are shorter now ...don't shoot as much .
    I take more and longer breaks ... getting old sucks .

Then we have to get in the mood to size/lube ... much easier than casting them !
    I probably cast 500 to 800 over a two day session ... but I don't compete in weekly NRA Bullseye Indoor Pistol Matches like I used to ... cast a lot more back then for the 38 & 45 centerfire legs .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I’m like many, I find casting to be a stress reliever and just a general joy to do to when time and motivation arises. When I cast I sometimes only have the hour and a half my little ones are taking their nap (plus time for cleaning myself before getting them up). In that time I usually get a couple of hundred boolits casting with two 4c MP molds (usually 454-200 Deep HP and 358-93 HP). Last session I went for about 2.25 hours and ended with about 300 45s and maybe 250 9mm (one pin was being finicky till I finally let it cool and polished it a little than it was good).

Most of my casts go to my dad right now as I’m not shooting often (cite small children who can’t shoot with me yet...yet) but he does and I enjoy helping him keep his mind and body active and out and about shooting. He shoots pin shoots as well a paper so he can always use more.

Boolit Master
    With my wife working from home, not as often as I'd like.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Moderator Emeritus

Any more I try to cast when outside temps are between 20 and 45 F.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Mostly, I replenish my inventories of the 10-12 boolits I use most during the winter months...600-800 of each, on the shelf, ready to load...but may cast, occasionally, on a rainy summer day if I feel the need.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I rarely cast for more than an hour. That can be between 700 & 900 per hour with a 4 & 6cav molds. If I am on the MAgma, I can go 2hrs easy, about 500 per hour. At my consumption rate, that is about once a month, sometimes two times, more in winter less is summer.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I cast and PC at least 3,000 of my favorites at a time. 2-3 hours with 5 and 6 cav molds. All stored safely in plastic tubs.

With the extreme primer/powder shortages currently haunting us, my supply of ready-to-load Pb slugs will last me at least 3 years at this rate.

Boolit Master
    The majority of all my shooting is handgun silhouette. I try to lay in enough to last through the season while I'm casting. This usually takes me four or five sessions. Additional shooting needs may take a few more sessions scattered throughout the year. I'd say between six and ten casting sessions a year.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll spend the entire day casting, maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Usually in the late Winter or early Spring. I'll cast a caliber a day for the things that I shoot the most.

There are much more dedicated casters and reloaders here than I, consider myself a sport caster and reloader due to being lower on the scale of income level. I'm a sport shooter and don't compete, just dove and hog hunt now. I shoot much less than most on this site. I don't keep much on hand in supplies (15-20 lbs of powder and 3-5K in each of primers) but have many loaded rounds in most of my calibers for what I need.

My lead boolits seem to oxidize in storage unless I powder coat or totally lube them so I don't keep that many around. My loading shed is not temp controlled 24/7.

All that being said 2-3 sessions of casting a year is all I need. Rendering is now once a year if that, got enough lead to last me.

Reloading is when I feel the need to, I've gotten several new to me long rifles last year so load development is definitely in the near future.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I cast in sort of manic sessions.
    Once I get set up, I like to cast until I get sick of doing it, then stop and do it again the next night....for a number of nights.
    I cast a bare MINIMUM of 1000 at a time before I stop casting for that bullet.
    9mm gets 2000 or more. 44's get 1500-2000 at a pop. 44gc's ditto, 45 acp's also. 38's about 2000 I shoot a boatload of 38's and light 357's...my favorite calibers), 357 gc about 1000-1500.
    My moulds are H&G's and are minimum 4 cavity with some at 6-8-10 cavity. I have been collecting them for many years and I am glad I have been.
    I'll size/lube them on a Star. All in one shot if I can but if not, just unplug the heater, turn off the lights, and pick it up again the next available night.
    Winters are long and cold here in NH. It is nice to have a hobby that takes up my spare time in the dead of winter. I hope to load enough for the next year's usage.
    I actually enjoy the casting/sizing/lubing/reloading almost as much as the shooting itself.
    Load on a Dillon 550. I load as many as I might shoot in a year, more for the subguns.
    Production and quality bullets is what it is all about.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 05-06-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    sometimes I cast to relax. I have cast boolits bagged and stacked up at the end of my bench and a bin full of them, and a plastic milk crate full of cast boolits.

and a bunch of coated on shelves

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    sometimes I cast to relax. I have cast boolits bagged and stacked up at the end of my bench and a bin full of them, and a plastic milk crate full of cast boolits.
    Now THAT is what it is all about folks!
    Casting for relaxation....and meditation too.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Bub

When I am ashore for a month, I generally spend a day running around to my local countryside tire shops and pick up a bucket or two of WW. Where I live its currently about only 3/5ths lead. Still trying to find an innexpensive source of tin.

Once I have 2 buckets, I spend a day sorting and melting down the lead and pouring muffin pan ingots ( cant wait to get my hands on a few redneck gold ingot molds) .

I spend a day casting each time home, so roughly 4 times a year averaging about 300 rounds each of .44, .45acp, .357. Sometimes all one design, sometimes several. It is relaxing, and provides great self satisfaction.

A few days later I spend a day tumble lubing the lees using white labels 45-45-10 and running the Keiths through a lyman 450 with white labels carnuba blue.

Another day I load. Mostly on my lee turret and single stage. I reserve the dillon 650 for.... dare I say it... store bought jacketed projectiles...😬
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk, that will teach you to keep your mouth shut!"
    - Earnest Hemmingway

" I'd rather be lucky than good, GET SOME!" Mr. Revolver" - Jerry Miculek

Boolit Bub

When I am ashore for a month, I generally spend a day running around to my local countryside tire shops and pick up a bucket or two of WW. Where I live its currently about only 3/5ths lead. Still trying to find an innexpensive source of tin.

Once I have 2 buckets, I spend a day sorting and melting down the lead and pouring muffin pan ingots ( cant wait to get my hands on a few redneck gold ingot molds) .

I spend a day casting each time home, so roughly 4 times a year averaging about 300 rounds each of .44, .45acp, .357. Sometimes all one design, sometimes several. It is relaxing, and provides great self satisfaction.

A few days later I spend a day tumble lubing the lees using white labels 45-45-10 and running the Keiths through a lyman 450 with white labels carnuba blue.

Another day I load. Mostly on my lee turret and single stage. I reserve the dillon 650 for.... dare I say it... store bought jacketed projectiles...😬
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk, that will teach you to keep your mouth shut!"
    - Earnest Hemmingway

Boolit Bub

Sorry. Newb to the forum, wrong button.
    - Earnest Hemmingway

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post

I must say, I like your organization. Gives me ideas for the man cave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    Since I cast lead jigs commercially for mostly saltwater fishing, I usually do a few boolits when done with the jigs. I cast often but rarely more than 75 boolits at a time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast