Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1886 Help

Boolit Master

1886 Help

Howdy!
    I've had this rifle a while (my something great grandfather special ordered it). I've shot it a fair bit with black powder and cast 330 grain bullet.(Lyman 457122). My question is because of something that was said a few years ago and was brought up on this forum. Is the 45-90 Sharps the same as 45-90 WCF? I've used an RCBS Sharps set for quite a while, as well as the Winchester tong set that came with the rifle with no ill effects.
    Just want to make sure I'm not feeding the old gal wrong!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

45/90 Sharps and 45/90WCF are the same. If you want to check further measure a case it should be 2.400" long.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

More pics and targets please.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Wallace - yes my cases are 2.4" long. The point that was brought up was a nearly heeled bullet used in the Sharps variety (so slightly more tapered case than the WCF?).
    Thumbcocker - what sort of pictures? Cartridges? Rifle?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The .45-2.4” Sharps used the same dimensioned shell as the .45-90 WCF, but it could be loaded with up to 100 gr of powder. The rifling twist in Sharps rifles allowed boolits in the 470 to 500+gr range.

The “.45-90 WCF” was conceived as an “Express” round; a heavy powder charge with a relatively light (300-330gr) boolit for flat trajectory at game shooting distances of 150 yards max. I believe the rifling twist in the .45-90 WCF was 36” or so. It wouldn’t stabilize the longer boolits. Loaded rounds with these boolits probably wouldn’t feed from the magazine anyway.

So as long as you load your 2.4” shells to WCF standards, you should be fine.

Boolit Master

Gun looks to be in great condition. More pictures of the gun and your loading sets a nd loadrped rounds.thanks for posting. Tim