Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 32-20 speedloader?

S&W 32-20 speedloader?

Have a friend who recently picked up a 32-20 k frame 5" Smith and was wondering if someone, makes speedloaders for it. My search only brings up 32 mag.....
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master
    A 9 mm speed strip is about the only "speed loader" that I have found for 32-20. I bought a pair of tuff strip loaders that I used with mine.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks, this is a woods walking gun for him so I think the strips may be a better choice anyway
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master
    I doubt any where ever made for the retail market, the .32-20 in revolvers were long past being made when speedloaders became a common thing.

That being said, you might try asking HKS if they ever made any.

Robert

Maybe HKS 547 ?
    I don't have one to try, but the rim sizes are close, with the 9mm being just a little smaller than 32-20.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slughammer View Post
    Maybe HKS 547 ?
    I don't have one to try, but the rim sizes are close, with the 9mm being just a little smaller than 32-20.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I would be most interested to hear from anyone who tries this and whether they are successful. It’s doubtful any manufacturer will tool up to make a dedicated speed loader for a model that was discontinued about 80+ years ago. I’d love to have a couple though!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that HKS 547 speed loaders are not very thick on the ground, we might be waiting for a good while. Anyways, I think the .014 difference most likely will exceed the tolerances of the locking mechanism. I had to Vaseline the Tuff Strips to get the 32-20's in. I wonder what I did with them? My 32-20's have been taking a rest while my .327's got all the attention.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Anybody ever figure out on the 32-20 speedloader? I just got a 32-20 J frame and would like a speedloader.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .45Cole View Post
    Anybody ever figure out on the 32-20 speedloader? I just got a 32-20 J frame and would like a speedloader.
    Tell us more about this 32-20 J frame. All the S&W 32-20s I'm familiar with have been built on K frames. I didn't know there was room to make a 32-20 cylinder in the J frame platform.

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    So its seem that 32-20 dont have any speedloaders, but how about .32 S&W (allnight) Long

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn45Colt View Post
    So its seem that 32-20 dont have any speedloaders, but how about .32 S&W (allnight) Long
    I'm not sure they are in current production, but I have gotten both 32-J and 32-K speed loaders from HKS. I regard the HKS as more of an ammo storage unit than a speed loader, but I guess they are a little faster than loose ammo.

Of course the same loaders can be used for 32 S&W L, 32 H&R, and 327 FM.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with the Frog on this one. While there is no reason a 32-20 can't fit in a gun that chambers 38 Specials, I have never seen a J-frame that had been so altered. They aren't listed in the standard catalog.

Boolit Buddy
    Have the six shot J frame 32 Long/H&R HKS loaders, so at one time they were made, can't help out with the 32-20 loaders though.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are two basic styles of speed loaders that I am aware of. The push to release Safariland style and the twist to release HKS style.

The arguments as to which is best is more divisive than Ford vs Chevy.

I think which style you like comes down to what you learned on and how the worn out training speed loaders worked for you. When I was going through rangemaster school, (one of the last cases that taught revolvers) we had HKS ones that worked, and the others didn't always.

Consequently, I tend to like HKS. They work for me. I never did learn to like the push style; although they do work for a lot of people.

I have a couple of the 32-J's for my I frames, and a bunch for K frame .38/.357.

I too don't believe S&W ever made any J frames for the .32-20, even though it should fit. Perhaps a custom made piece?

Robert

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The HKS 32-K are for .32 H&R Mag and .32 S&W Long. For my .32-20 Hand Ejectors I use the Tuff Strip in 9mm to carry a reload, which works well. Not aware of any S&W I- or J- frame produced in .32-20. I have two 1905 .32 -20 Hand Ejectors in 4" and 5" which are daily farm carries.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

ok I'm coming over from Colts so I'm not very familiar with the S&W frames other than the N frames. This is a "S&W 6-shooter" as described by auctioneer but looks like a hand ejector w/ 6" barrel in great shape, not sure which frame it is I figured J as the smaller 32 frames I though I read were modified to be longer to accept 38's. But I also read that 32-20 was one of the original chamberings of the first solid frame S&W's. HKS speedloaders in 32 are for 32 S&W/Colt/long/short/ect but I'm not so sure for the 32-20 as the rim is so large. Maybe I'll start there and file it out
    Last edited by .45Cole; 08-06-2021 at 01:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    There are 5 S&W DA revolver frame sizes. Small, medium, in between, large and then cartoonish huge.
    The Hand Ejectors only came in small, medium and large.

The small frame Hand Ejector is often referred to as the 32 frame. Later in the 1950’s when the letter designations came out it was the I frame. When Smith wanted to do the 5-shot snubby Chief’s Special they used the small frame but lengthened the cylinder and frame to accommodate the .38 Special. This is the J Frame.

The medium frame is often called the 38 frame. Although the cylinder length was chosen to be long enough to fit the 32-20. .38 Special is shorter than 32-20. All the Smith 32-20’s were built on this medium frame. Later this was called the K frame. It’s what the Model 10 is built on. It’s a 6-shot frame. It’s a good frame for 32-20 and 38 Spl. Smith also chambered it for .357….but shouldn’t have. Lots of the Model 19’s cracked their forcing cones with 125 grain bullets.

The big frame Hand Ejector came out as the Triple Lock 44 Special. Later the frame size was designated N. When Smith did a 44 Magnum they put it on this frame….but it’s marginal for 44 Magnum. Lots have been shot loose with a few thousand full throttle loads.

There was a ‘tweener frame that came out in the 80’s that was heavier than the K but smaller than the N. It’s the L Frame. It was brought out to be a solid platform for .357 that could shoot as many hot rounds as the Ruger GP100. And it did that. Recently they did a 5-shot version as 44 Magnum, Model 69.

And then there’s the oversized X Frame for the 500 and 460 Magnums.

So if you’ve got a Smith 32-20, it’s on the medium frame, aka the K frame.
    Last edited by shooting on a shoestring; 08-06-2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Oops
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master

HKS also made/makes a 32-J for use with S&W I and J frame 32's. I have three and they work great.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .45Cole View Post
    ok I'm coming over from Colts so I'm not very familiar with the S&W frames other than the N frames. This is a "S&W 6-shooter" as described by auctioneer but looks like a hand ejector w/ 6" barrel in great shape, not sure which frame it is I figured J as the smaller 32 frames I though I read were modified to be longer to accept 38's. But I also read that 32-20 was one of the original chamberings of the first solid frame S&W's. HKS speedloaders in 32 are for 32 S&W/Colt/long/short/ect but I'm not so sure for the 32-20 as the rim is so large. Maybe I'll start there and file it out
    Gotta watch those auctioneer descriptions. They rarely have any resemblance to reality. One near here routinely describes any nickel plated gun as stainless, and they tend to measure revolver barrel length from the front of the frame not the cylinder.

Its not that they are intentionally wrong or misleading, they just aren't gun people.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    AFAIK, only HKS makes cartridge loaders for I/J and K frame S&Ws. I have never been able to make either the K frame model nor the smaller (used in my case on an I frame) work at a pace much faster than loading loose rounds... that's why I hesitate to call them "speed loaders." I don't think anyone else makes anything for the 32s. I'd love to have the spring powered "Jet Loader" type units in 32, but unless they are some sort of uncatalogued special order, they just don't seem to be available.

Froggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast