Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another chronograph required.

Boolit Master

Another chronograph required.

So yesterday, I went to the gun club with visions of grandeur. I was all excited to check the speed of my trimmed 460 cases being used in my shot loads in my 45 Colt cylinder. Set up the Shooting Chrony Alfa, loaded one round, aimed center mass and squeezed off the round. The Chrony was only 3' away (three feet). Can't miss that open area, right? You know those fliers we're always taking about? You guessed it. 1 (one) pellet of #9 shot got away. Punched a hole in the upper left quadrant of the sheetmetal, and penetrating the plastic case that encases the vitals. Killed it grave yard dead.
    Not the first time though. My brother put it to sleep about 12 years ago with a .22 LR. I sent it back to the manufacturer for repair, and an upgrade. Been working great ever since. Well, until yesterday.
    Seeing as Shooting Chrony is out of business, I've ordered a Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX. They seem to have good reviews, (depending on where you read). Anyone have any expierience with this particular brand? I know there are quite a few different brands out there. I suppose, in its price range it will do the job and be comparable with others. I look at brands like this. All will probably fail at some point in time. If the item weren't of decent quality, and function properly, the manufacturer wouldn't be in business.
    Comments?
    Last edited by littlejack; 05-25-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    I have an older model with the Bluetooth adaptor. Simple enough to use and does everything I need it to do.

The one thing that folks do is to get some wooden dowels to replace the sunscreen metal rods in case of an errant shot

Boolit Master

mmw
    Yeah, I've read about others using bamboo skewer sticks to replace the metal rods. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for reminding me. Good to hear that yours is working well for you.

Boolit Master

They are wonderful units. I got mine after my daughter put a 221 fireball thru the previous model.

Boolit Master

Good to hear another positive about the PrChrono.
    Sorry for the death in the family.

Although I do not own a Comp Electronics Pro I DO use their most excellent light trigger screens with my homemade chrono...They are reasonably priced if you shoot one and they work with bullets at least as small as .22....I think you will be well satisfied...

Boolit Master

kingrj
    Thanks for the tip.

OP, this won't help you now but perhaps next time you want to chronograph some shot shells. Obtain a more or less 2 foot square of rubber matting or ply wood and cut 3 inch hole in the middle. Suspend the mat in front of the chronograph so that the shot can pass through the hole and over the sky screens but stray shot or sabots in the case of BP loads will be trapped and not damage the sky screens.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

That would probably work.

Banned

just got one this spring. Works great. Much better then the old one i had. two chronys and a pact.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    That would probably work.
    That system is used by the military to chronograph sabot tank rounds. They do use very thick steel though.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I wonder how well a LabRadar would work for shotgun loads.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I wonder how well a LabRadar would work for shotgun loads.
    While we are wondering, I wonder how a Magneto Speed would work with shotguns. I have only used mine once but for rifles, it is a success. Especially at the public range I shoot at. With the Magneto Speed, you don't have people waiting until you get your Chrony set up and aligned. Anybody tried it with revolvers?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I use my Lab Radar with BPCR loads bullet a couple wads and PP loads with the confetti and under wrap wads and bullet with little issues. The smoke dosnt affect it either.
    Where the issue may come in is the LR "sees" the base of the bullet. A shot charge isnt a solid base and is strung out longer and less dense. This may make make readings harder to get

Banned
    Hey those who haven't messed up equipment are few and far between it was not intentional but it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by starnbar View Post
    Hey those who haven't messed up equipment are few and far between it was not intentional but it happens.
    As I have said before: chronographs live in a very dangerous neighborhood!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    old truck mud flap in front of chrono sounds like a great way to protect investment. I have an old green box chrony still works like new, but ive never tried shot shells through it and try to take good care of my equipment.

Boolit Master

Seeing as how a single #9 pellet took my Chrony out, I would suggest getting real close with a shotgun. I was 3' away shooting extended 45 Colt loads. Just sayin.

Trouble with getting that close is that the shock wave and/or the gas cloud from the muzzle gets to the first screen before the bullet. One time I drove myself batty trying to test loads from a 4" .357 revolver that way, until it dawned on me.....

Somehow I've managed to not injure an old red box Chrony for nigh on 25 years. I took to using bamboo skewers right away. Still haven't touched one.

Recently was given a blue box Chrony with the readout on a 10' cable. THAT one I could protect with a piece of 6x6, since I don't have to see anything but the guide sticks and skyscreens. On a cloudy day you could even dispense with those for shotgun loads.
    Last edited by uscra112; 06-11-2021 at 08:23 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Very good point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast