Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester 680

Banned

Winchester 680

I happenned into a good quantity of it. Looks to be close to 1680.

Before I go looking through cast data, anybody have luck with it in cast rifle loads?

It was made by Winchester for govt. loading of 7.62X39. It still works great for that. I am using Lee’s160 GCTL bullet and getting a 2” group at 100 yards out of my Yugo SKS. It also works for 300 Blackhawk, 30 carbine ( a little slow) and 22 hornet. I still have about 4 lbs. of it I got for cheap as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use it in my 357max with great results.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    It was made by Winchester for govt. loading of 7.62X39. It still works great for that. I am using Lee’s160 GCTL bullet and getting a 2” group at 100 yards out of my Yugo SKS. It also works for 300 Blackhawk, 30 carbine ( a little slow) and 22 hornet. I still have about 4 lbs. of it I got for cheap as well.
    Why would the US Government load 7.62x39? It does seem to be real close to AA 1680 which is good stuff in it.

Boolit Master
    It was used for loading the 30 carbine military ammo and as near as I can tell it is very close if not the same as aa1680 and H116.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Why would the US Government load 7.62x39? It does seem to be real close to AA 1680 which is good stuff in it.
    For secret warfare, it's reported a bunch was made without a headstamp.

Boolit Buddy
    Reprint of the US Army manual for the AK-47.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014230282

Banned

back when AA started they just put surplus in fancy jugs. 680 became aa1680. Same stuff. Might vary a bit lot to lot but then so did all powders the military bought but for all practical purposes its the same thing

Banned

Well, I have four pounds of it now. Been meaning to load up a bunch of .30 Carbine for a while now, guess I'm set for that.

Looking at data I have, it appears to be good for jacketed loads in .22 Hornet and .218 Bee. Have hardly ever shot jacketed in the Hornet, guess I might have to start.

I use it in 357 Max, 414 Super mag and 445 Super mag. I haven't tried it in the 6.5 Grendel or 6 PPC yet, but it should work. I bought 16 pounds from Jeff Bartlett a while back and still have about 10 left. The 445 is not exactly a plinker.

Banned

Seems a lot of guys like it in the .357 Max. Wonder if it would be good in the .351 WSL?

Might be good in that new .350 Legend, but I'm not gonna run out and get one to use up powder.

Banned

great in the 3oo bo and 3oo hamr too. Fooled with it in the 44mag and it was to slow and dirty in it. It did ok in the 454 and 475 but not as good as 110. John Linebaugh liked it in the 475 and 500 Linebaugh maximums. It can even be used in the 223 if you haver nothing else. THE powder for the 22 hornet

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    If you shoot a .22 Hornet or .218 Bee do not waste that powder on anything else . I hoard the little that I have been able to get hold of since it was discontinued by Winchester and only use it for my m43 .218 Bee and Savage 340 .22 Hornet . It is almost the same as 1680 but the W680 always seems to shoot just a hair better in the rifles I have owned through the years . A 35 grain Vmax with 12-13 grains of W 680 sparked by a small pistol primer is just plumb magic. 12.5 grains is the sweet spot and will shoot tiny oval bug hole groups at 100 yards all day long . I liked to cried when I found out they had discontinued it and there was no more to be found from any of my sources . I am down to 1 3/4 pound .

I read that IMR is discontinuing 4320 so I guess that will be my next easter egg powder hunt . I have a few 8 pounders of it hoarded so am in no danger of running out anytime soon but will still be looking for more since both sons use it in their .243's . Really can't imagine they don't sell enough 4320 to make it profitable to keep in the IMR line .

Congratulations on the score . H110 has always been my favorite in the .30 Carbine , if you have that save the W680 for your Hornet .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 05-04-2021 at 03:16 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    If you shoot a .22 Hornet or .218 Bee do not waste that powder on anything else . I hoard the little that I have been able to get hold of since it was discontinued by Winchester and only use it for my m43 .218 Bee and Savage 340 .22 Hornet . It is almost the same as 1680 but the W680 always seems to shoot just a hair better in the rifles I have owned through the years . A 35 grain Vmax with 12-13 grains of W 680 sparked by a small pistol primer is just plumb magic. 12.5 grains is the sweet spot and will shoot tiny oval bug hole groups at 100 yards all day long . I liked to cried when I found out they had discontinued it and there was no more to be found from any of my sources . I am down to 1 3/4 pound .

I read that IMR is discontinuing 4320 so I guess that will be my next easter egg powder hunt . I have a few 8 pounders of it hoarded so am in no danger of running out anytime soon but will still be looking for more since both sons use it in their .243's . Really can't imagine they don't sell enough 4320 to make it profitable to keep in the IMR line .

Congratulations on the score . H110 has always been my favorite in the .30 Carbine , if you have that save the W680 for your Hornet .
    Trouble is, I only shoot the Hornet downloaded with cast. Bullseye and 2400 depending on which of the two loads I use it for. Might have to get some jacketed bullets.

Banned

rich ive had 3 hornets the hands down best shooting jacketed bullet ive found is the 35 grain vmax. Load that with 12.4 grains of 1680 and a match small rifle primer. im not a big proponent of match primers but my loading data shows they are certainly worth the bother in the hornet. the 12.4 grain charge is another thing. All three of my guns shot that load better then anything. must be something to that load because Eddies load is about identical. only thing different is the primer and match rifle primers knocked a good 1/4 in off of group sizes and seem to do that with about any load in the hornet ive tried

Banned

I'll have to see if I can get ahold of some of those the way things are now.

Boolit Master

Lloyd ,
    The reason Eddie uses the small pistol primer is they tend to cut group size by half . I have tried everybody's Sr BR primers and the SP has always shot better for me in the small .22H , .218 Bee cases . I use them in 25-20 for lighter loads and only go to SR for old school high velocity / high pressure loads . I think it's the same theory as using the SR primers in the Remington and PPC bench rest cases . Remington's first run of the BR series cases were made on regular LR .308 brass . The next run was purpose made SP brass and shot rings around the first batch .

Try both and see which works best in your rifle . Save the 680 till the 35 gr. Vmax is back on the market and it will put a great big smile on your face.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 05-06-2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: can't type

Banned

dont know for sure but thought maybe something along the same line that small rifle match primers were just milder primers then the regular small rifle. Another thing i noticed was a advantage to rem match primers and rem are usually milder primers then the rest so maybe a small pistol would do the same.

Boolit Master

I thought that at one time also but after reading several things through the years on the supposed differences between BR and standard primers that is not said to be the case. They are more precisely built as to thickness, hardness, fit and finish of the cup and anvil as well as the application of the compound in the cup but the brisance is said to be the same within the brand . We do know from the many published reports that there is a variation of brisance between brands and are told by experts on such matters that you should only use the particular brand and type of primer used to develop a published load . I think that might be important in maximum loads with certain powders but I have not found it to be an issue with most powders even at max level loads . I lack a lot being qualified to call myself an expert but I have been loading and casting for right at 57 years so I have learned a thing or two .