Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $ primers

Some have been doing what they have to, but there's been a lot of gougers. Personally, if primers don't come below 50$ a brick, I won't be buying many. I have a Tap-O-Cap (Which I should have sold when the panic buying started, can't get triple digits out of it now, so why bother) and a flintlock for when I want to make noise. I got a couple cheap pellet rifles that honestly I have just as much fun with. I only have need for a shotgun and a pistol really, prices aren't below that by the end of the year, start looking in the swappin' and sellin' for a bunch of rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    Some have been doing what they have to, but there's been a lot of gougers. Personally, if primers don't come below 50$ a brick, I won't be buying many. I have a Tap-O-Cap (Which I should have sold when the panic buying started, can't get triple digits out of it now, so why bother) and a flintlock for when I want to make noise. I got a couple cheap pellet rifles that honestly I have just as much fun with. I only have need for a shotgun and a pistol really, prices aren't below that by the end of the year, start looking in the swappin' and sellin' for a bunch of rifles.
    +1 on the Rock Lock and the Cap Lock. I actually have a couple of flint lock pistols I enjoy shooting. If the worst happened I could always learn how to make Holy Black.

I have also considered buy a large caliber PCN air rifle but recharging the air supply has always scared me away.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    +1 on the Rock Lock and the Cap Lock. I actually have a couple of flint lock pistols I enjoy shooting. If the worst happened I could always learn how to make Holy Black.

I have also considered buy a large caliber PCN air rifle but recharging the air supply has always scared me away.
    Not large caliber but a .22 PCP is not a bad way to get trigger time cheaply. I sold enough primers at these stupid prices to get a decent gun and air tank. The air tank costs $10 to fill and I should get over 4000 shots out of it. Of course it is not very "manly". Quite, no recoil, and no smoke. The other "downside" is no cases to pick up and prep and no reloading to do. Pellets are so cheap, it is not worth casting for it.

Powerful enough for rabbits and such to 50 yards...maybe 75 yards.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    For what it's worth, I got a brick of large rifle primers today from my local fella. Just under 40$, they are slowly trickling in if you just have some patience.

Two of my local shops are still getting primers in sporadically, about once a month they say. You have to be there when the truck comes in first come first serve. They’re only getting about 10,000 of each size at a time. CCI large and small rifle and pistol $28.99/1000 same as they’ve been for years. If you see price gouging it’s the dealers/distributors not the manufacturers. Lots of people boycotting a local shop selling CCI blazer brass 9mm for $34.99 a box, someone saw his invoice from CCI he’s still paying what he was two years ago and should be selling them for $10-$11 a box.

Things didn’t get hard to find here until last October. But I sure wish it would get back to normal I could really use some large pistol primers and some Unique and 2400 or H110.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lgs had some 130gr fmj 38 spcl for $21.99 and another store had it for $25.99, both boxes of 50.

Boolit Bub
    Haven't seen primers anywhere around here for some time.
    I don't like the current prices but I understand how capitalism/ supply and demand work.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Wow! $1.30 per round? I bet I can load it for 6 cents. That is incredible.
    If you think you can load ANY ammo for 6 cents per round, then you are using faulty economics.

Maybe you can reload a cartridge based on prices on components from over a year ago, but based on current prices, you can't buy primers for 6 cents each.

You may have paid $20 per 1000 primers five years ago and $15 for a pound of powder, but you can't buy those things at those prices now.

So, even though you may have 6 cents into a cartridge you load today, to replace the components you use to load those cartridges will cost you closer to 25 cents.

So, the only way to claim that it would only cost you 6 cents per round, is if you had enough components to last until the cost to replace them comes back down (which is likely never), or, you never replaced those components.

It's why gas stations charge you the higher price for gas when the price increases, even though the gas sitting in their tanks cost them 10 cents less a gallon. They are charging you the replacement cost for that gas and not what it cost them initially.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Sometimes I think about selling some primers for the going rate of $175. per K but I cant replace them so I'll just keep them
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    If you think you can load ANY ammo for 6 cents per round, then you are using faulty economics.

Maybe you can reload a cartridge based on prices on components from over a year ago, but based on current prices, you can't buy primers for 6 cents each.

You may have paid $20 per 1000 primers five years ago and $15 for a pound of powder, but you can't buy those things at those prices now.

So, even though you may have 6 cents into a cartridge you load today, to replace the components you use to load those cartridges will cost you closer to 25 cents.

So, the only way to claim that it would only cost you 6 cents per round, is if you had enough components to last until the cost to replace them comes back down (which is likely never), or, you never replaced those components.

It's why gas stations charge you the higher price for gas when the price increases, even though the gas sitting in their tanks cost them 10 cents less a gallon. They are charging you the replacement cost for that gas and not what it cost them initially.
    With that way of thinking I will be at 6 to 7 cents a round for a couple of years. And that is loading magnum loads for 44.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Hi,
    In Arizona the gun shows average price for primers is $150 for the past 3 months.
    Some stores, who are CCI Dealers, are selling them for $99.50.
    One person posted on an Arizona local forum he paid $450. This in my humble opinion was dumb on his part.
    On the Smith & Wesson forum a couple of weeks ago there were several postings of primers showing up in quantity at gun stores throughout the central part of the US at regular retail.
    CCI is now selling ammo and I think primers direct to the public at their regular retail.
    I heard Federal was doing the same thing.
    Ammo has no hazmat fee.
    Primers and Powder do have a hazmat fee, usually the seller adds $25 to the cost of the primers/powder/shipping charges.

Personally I think there is NO AMMO SHORTAGE of the military calibers.
    There are scarred folks who are afraid the ammo will disappear and they will pay anything regardless of its availability.
    There is a Glut of 5.56 x45mm and 7.62 x51mm and 7.62 x39mm.
    The major sporting goods stores in Arizona have cases and cases of the stuff up and down the isles stacked 3 feet high.
    Plus, there is always a enormous amount at the gun shows.

Boolit Grand Master

Last gunshow I went to a few weeks ago had the $150/1000 primers and silly 9mm prices. I was walking around that place for a few hours and didn't see one primer or ammo sale.

I think the post panic price will be in the $40-$50/1000 range and I'd pay that for primers. Much more and I'd have to rethink my target practice
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by martyd View Post
    Hi] CCI is now selling ammo and I think primers direct to the public at their regular retail.
    I heard Federal was doing the same thing.
    Ammo has no hazmat fee.
    Primers and Powder do have a hazmat fee, usually the seller adds $25 to the cost of the primers/powder/shipping charges..
    I just looked at both Federal and CCI websites. Both say check with local suppliers for availability.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post

I load all of mine for free. I sell brass all over the net on different boards. I take it to the scrap yard. I get all of the brass for free. I just pick it up. All of that $ is set aside from my regular $. I can't remember the last time I used my normal $ to get a gun or loading supplies. While i don't like the new prices, it is still not costing me any actual $ yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I load all of mine for free. I sell brass all over the net on different boards. I take it to the scrap yard. I get all of the brass for free. I just pick it up. All of that $ is set aside from my regular $. I can't remember the last time I used my normal $ to get a gun or loading supplies. While i don't like the new prices, it is still not costing me any actual $ yet.
    I don't understand your post. You take brass TO the scrap yard? You mean you go to the scrap yard and get brass, clean it up and sell it then use the money from that to get more supplies? There is one scrap yard near me that gets bins of brass from several ranges but you have to buy it from them and it's in a barrel so you have to pick it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I bought enough primers at $.03 apiece to never have to pay more.
    Current prices are normal if you are just starting.
    Remember this cycle when times are rosy and primer prices come back down.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    Out lgs got some srp in recently. Limit 200 and selling for a nickel a piece ( $50/1000 ). At least powder is starting is starting to show up. When this is all over I will buy primers 5000 at a time and powder in 8 lb jugs.

Boolit Master
    Being 72 now and buying and storing components since the 70s, I believe I will never have to buy any components again. If I averaged the price I have paid for primers over the years it would probably be around $15 per thousand. Powder would probably be around $15 per lb as well. Lead has been very cheap or free and I recycle from my home range. I can load for most of the calibers I shoot the most (9mm 38, 45, 22H, 25/20 and other such) for around 3 to 4 cents per round and still pass on a bunch of components to my sons.

I got caught in a primer shortage sometime in the 70s and decided it wasn't going to happen again and so far it hasn't. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I sold something like 14K of primers a couple of months ago on a local board, All these belonged to my dead friend and every dime went to his widow.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    I went to a gun show in south Florida on March 21. Primers were $100--150/1000. Ouch.
    god I hate gougers. I just busted one of them at walmart last week buying up 22lr and 12 gauge.
    we were talking just fine then I mentioned how i HATE gougers and all of a sudden he gets real twitchy acting and moved away from me as fast as he could, then reminded me I got there second, lol.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast