Thread: 300BO and 45 ACP SS cutoff jigs

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

300BO and 45 ACP SS cutoff jigs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WfiB04z.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	282264
    Got my 3D printer, I may be a bit busy assembling that for the next few days.

Been designing stuff in OpenSCAD like a maniac, jigs, ammo boxes, custom powder dippers, you name it The image is from OpenSCAD, of my 45 ACP SS jig and 300 BO cutoff jig designs, black is the part that'll be printed, the purple part will be removed to give a place for the case to fit & the slot is for the cutoff's saw to index on (I made it 25 mils, the blade is 20 mils thick, a tiny bit of error is acceptable.)

Filament's arriving soon so I am SO looking forward to printing some fun stuff I can use

Moderator Emeritus

What type of filament will you be using for these? PLA, PTEG, etc. Thanks.
    Ron

PLA+ is the first filament I bought, purple and black spools; I rather like the color Purple, but suspect I'll print the 300BO one in black, just because

PLA+ is like PLA but copes with heat better, I will have to see if it can cope with the horrid heat of Seattle area climates or not, or if it goes soft and slumps like regular PLA. Things to sit in the car need to cope well with heat, but cutoff jigs aren't usually used in a car unless you're really hardcore?

Local gent made his own 3d printer from 2020 Aluminum Extrusions and PLA 3D printed parts, showed it at a local robotics club meeting, but then on the way home left it in the car as he ran into a store to buy a few things; When he came back out his 3d printer was no longer sitting nice and orthogonal, it had slumped, and he had to get all the printed parts re-printed by a friend. I could hear the screams of frustration from here...

I'm pretty sure those in Arizona etc. can tell us what filaments are best for hot climes!

Oh. And I plan to get PETG filament soon, may buy carbon fiber filament earlier though, first I need to build this printer then calibrate it

I think your going to need the bottom open to get the cases in and out.

These hold half the case so plan was to push the cut case out of the way with the next case, then trim, rinse, repeat. if you looked at the design from the end, the top half of the case is in free air so pushing on it will make the case pop out quite easily. Might have to vacuum up some brass dust occasionally but plan is to have a mini shopvac's hose right there cleaning up, so not an issue...

Moderator Emeritus

I am fighting with PETG now. It likes it hotter. Nozzle at 240 and bed at 85. I am having adhesion issues after a short time. Think I've tried ever z offset, print speed, etc. Getting frustrated with it but I will find my printers sweet spot on it
    - someday

Boolit Bub
    I’m far from an expert on the subject since I started printing a few months ago. But my petg adhesion issues were solved with elmers glue stick, 85/90 bed and 235/225 extruder temp, 30-40% fan, and leveling with a .004” feeler gauge. I tried aqua net and it worked on small parts but larger prints warped after a few hours. Sugar water works also. I broke my glass when I tried to remove my first glue stick print since it was still a little warm. I wait for the bed to completely cool now.

Boolit Master
    So as an observer am I to understand that 3D printing stuff out is kind of like reloading is cheaper?

It can be, only you can make things you cannot afford to buy, oh wait that's like reloading too...

I've found that one of the hardest things is getting someone to print you something, seems like once they get printing they end up with the printer going 100% on their own goodies.

Sorta like "when you have a hammer, all problems look like nails" maybe?