Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 65x55

Boolit Mold

65x55

One of my favorite calibers, is the 6.5x55, in the 80's I was buying these things for 75.00 to 80.00 bucks a piece, it was about this time, I got into casting, mostly handguns and some 30-30, a few yrs back, I watched as some of the most experienced casters and reload eras on the forum, were slowing down the twists in the 30 cals, and getting very high velocities and great accuracy, would it be possible to do the same in 6.5, what say you Larry Gibson?

Boolit Grand Master

It is possible but the weight/length of the cast bullet must be reduced as the twist is slowed down. Lets say we make a 100 gr cast bullet of #2 alloy so it runs 100 gr fully dressed with a .9" length. We use a .264 groove barrel with .004 deep grooves (.256 bore) having a 13.5" twist at least 26" long and chamber it to 6.5x55 with a throat to match the .2645 sized bullet with the front band just kissing the leade with the GC seated at the bottom of the neck. With that using slower burning powders, probably extruded ones, we should be able to push 2500 fps right at 140,000 RPM. For a higher velocity in a slower twist barrel a lighter weight and shorter bullet would be needed.

That's my thoughts on the topic.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Larry, I appreciate that!