Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sausage ...

Boolit Master
    I didn’t have much of a choice on becoming a halfway proficient butcher, growing up in a hippy organic beef co-op grading carcasses twice a week in the cooler with my parents since I could walk, then doing 4H meats judging up to the national level meant a few days a week in one of the local shops learning all I could. I got lucky having a second adopted family of former Hutterites, similar to Mennonites, very self sufficient and great at butchering and smoking all of the traditional German foods.
    So we still do quite a bit, which between most of the local shops closing up and the incredible demand jump when COVID hit has been a blessing. Locally (anywhere on our side of the Rockies) it is about an 18 month wait to get a slaughter date for beef, hogs or lambs. My wife has been on a self sufficiency kick lately with how things are going so she doesn’t mind me adding to my little butcher shop as I can. I’ve got a stuffer, the biggest grinder I could get my hands on and a Biro 33 butcher bandsaw and almost can get a hog done looking store bought besides the paper wrap.
    We smoke quite a bit of salami, in various seasonings, but I have to admit the big batches are a heck of a lot easier to get done on my neighbor’s commercial smoker he got when one of the local plants shut down. 8x6x4’ can hang a heck of a lot of salami or hams and bacon! We usually use the Leggs seasonings for everything, being a lot cheaper and better quality than the stuff they sell at Scheels for making venison sausage (LEM or High Country). We prefer the breakfast blends without sage usually too.
    One thing I’ve found that helps make a quality product closer to store bought for links and salami is adding commercial binder. I don’t have a preference between soy, dairy or carrot but they do aid in keeping things juicy. I haven’t played too much with the additives like citric acid but they do make it pop with a little extra you can’t quite put your finger on. It just makes it a little “better” Is the only way I can put it!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    For breakfast sausage I like salt, pepper, garlic and marjoram. Simple and delicious. I try for 18-20% fat content. Grind then spice, mix well and final grind.
    What proportion?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Years ago I had breakfast links made with venison and pork. Best I ever had. They don't make it anymore with the customer's venison. They do make regular breakfast links. Outfit called Fraboni's up on the Iron Range.

Boolit Master

We do sausage every year, and always try something new.

We've been using bratwurst seasoning from LEM, and they are much better than store-bought.

Brats we make with mule deer, or elk, 50/50 with pork shoulder. Grind it all course, and set 1/3 aside. Grind the 2/3 with fine plate, then put 1/2 of that with the first third. Grind the last third finger a second time, and put all the meat together.

Add seasonings, and quality beer at 1oz per lb of meat, and stuff into natural casings.

We've been making 50lbs a year, and enjoying every bit of it.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I use Atkins with a little cayenne. Works great with straight deer or wild hog. Get it at brookshires

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    What proportion?
    5 lbs pork butt or lean pork and 17-20% fat. 5 tsp salt, I use Johnny's but straight salt would work also. 1 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp marjoram, 1 tsp sage though it could be optional for those who don't like the flavor, 1/2 tsp lemon zest or 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 cup cold water, as cold as possible. Grind meat once, mix spices and regrind.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123