Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sausage ...

Boolit Master
    I use leggs #29 that I buy at Fareway. Just got a package last week and it was $4.00 out the door. I only use 1/8 of a cup to a 25 lb batch with a little salt and pepper. The key is about 6 hours of hickory cold smoke in the smoke house. End of the smoking season here until cold weather next fall.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan28 View Post
    I have plenty of experience eating that Mennonite sausage, and know many that make it. The recipe is so very simple you might not believe it, but here it is.
    -coarse ground pork
    -salt
    -pepper
    hot smoke for 4 hours

That's it.
    You’re right. In my opinion the best sausage has the least ingredients and no sugar, that more and more sausage tends to have these days. Don’t skimp on the fat, because that’s where all the good flavor comes from!

Boolit Master
    Any of you fellows making home made Bratwurst?

Boolit Buddy
    I really agree about the Mennonite seasoning. Great flavor in correct measure, plus it's Really fresh & full flavor. For some variety ask for some of their rubbed sage, add about a half teaspoon to the pound. For REALLYFINE eatin' take the pound rolls to the smoker grill with hickory or mesquite chips. Smoke for about 3-5 hrs depending on getting done in the center, then the left overs (you'll eat a couple pounds for the next meal) sliced into patties, freeze on a cookie sheet, have for breakfast right outa the M-wave!! They're already done you know. Jimmy Dean don't hold a candle

Banned
    I've tried bratwurst before , But a big part of brats is getting the grind right ... Something I've not had good luck with , they just aren't the same if its not perfect

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Any of you fellows making home made Bratwurst?
    yup i use two mixes one from "meatcutter.com and one mix of ingrediants i got out of a sausage making book. For the price (like with leggs) the pre packaged stuff is just as good and you dont have to buy 30 jars of spice to make it. Like was said by someone else fat is the real ingredient in sausage. Its why i dont use venison except in summer sausage. its way to dry. For bratts too you dont want to grind fine. Medium plate is what you want to use.

Boolit Master

For the best results when grinding, use a 3/16 plate and try to get the meat temperature as close to freezing as possible, not froze but stiff, grind ONE time. Bratwurst recipes are as numerous as the stars, some good, most horrible. What a lot of people call Bratwurst are really a Bockwurst. Old world style Bratwurst is a cured and smoked product and will contain Mace as a spice, most people do not care for the flavor that it imparts and most current recipes leave it out or disguise it with the addition of vegetables or cheese e.g. Krautwurst/Cheddarwurst. A Bratwurst by legal definition cannot contain eggs, milk, or bread/cracker crumbs, though it's common to see these ingredient included in products and the producer will call them Bratwurst. The majority of the " Bratwurst" in the US is uncured and raw. This is a matter of consumers preference and expectations not based on historical accuracy. A Bockwurst on the other hand can and does contain those ingredients and as a result are generally juicer, bind better (firmer) and depending on your spice selection, a more mild sausage. It is a fresh sausage (not cured/smoked). If you want to go exploring, I would suggest that you make very small samples and cook and try them before you commit to a 25 pound batch. You can use a recipe or devise your own, I can provide you with dozens of different sausage variations for Bratwurst alone and most of them a dog wouldn't eat. If your are seeking consistent results, consider prepackaged spices from a major supplier, it's a whole lot cheaper in the long run and you can ad lib to your personal preference if you feel it's lacking something. For best results when blending, add 3% water of the total batch weight and mix until your tired and then mix it ten more minutes. It will distribute the spice more evenly and allow the product to bind (no one likes a crumbly sausage) place it overnight in your refrigerator and stuff it the next day. And, (This is important) If you are going to smoke (hot) any product and store it (Not consumed immediately) use 6.25% Sure Cure also known as Prague powder and make sure with a thermometer that it has reached a temperature that will kill the common bacteria and the Prague powder will handle the rest that are more thermoduric. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoduric_bacterium
    Sorry for the ramble, even after after having made or watched being made millions of pounds of sausage, it's still a fascinating and tasty process. Have fun.
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 05-03-2021 at 06:35 AM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I've tried bratwurst before , But a big part of brats is getting the grind right ... Something I've not had good luck with , they just aren't the same if its not perfect
    I grew up eating all beef coarse ground brats... Leggs brat seasoning is decent, I mix it in a pound of hamburger for brat patties

Believe it or not the bratwurst sold at carnivals in W. Germany (back when there was a W. Germany) were pretty tasty. I can't remember what they cost, but we'd get some good mustard, the wurst and a decent roll. Wow! Were they ever good!

Boolit Master
    While I like Jimmy Dean sausage at breakfast, I have never tried ground up dog do and sawdust so I cannot comment.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned
    I'm not a fan of the original jimmy dean , it has sage .
    But the maple links are quite tasty . or they were the last time I had any .
    Its been at least 10 years since I've had them

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    another fan of #10. I use it mixed with ground up pork buts. I add just a bit of crushed red pepper to it and like mary i make 20lbs with the 25 lb package. GREAT sausage
    I believe that is what I got also from advice on here a few years ago when I got a grinder using Cabela's points. Pork Butts and a little fat. Sausage came out great.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

For breakfast sausage I like salt, pepper, garlic and marjoram. Simple and delicious. I try for 18-20% fat content. Grind then spice, mix well and final grind.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Sausage is something i ever really paid much attention to until recently...A friend suggested I try Apple Sausage, made by several local butchers. WOW! That stuff is like a fine gourmet meal! It contains bits of apple and brown sugar, no condiments needed or wanted with this stuff.

Boolit Master

I agree with 762 Shooter, AC Leggs #10 is what I use.

Boolit Master

It's made in Ala and it's we like sausage to taste!

Boolit Buddy
    Growing up around Mennonites, I learned a few things about them:
    1. They are good folks that can, will, and do work harder than anybody else
    2. All married women of child bearing age are pregnant or just had one.
    3. The Mennonite women are the best cooks there are

Boolit Master

When we were kids my paternal grandparents lived in an ancient log cabin that sat on a stone foundation with steps going into the cellar. Over the steps was a small porch. Every year grandpa’d butcher a large hog, singe & scrape it and then butcher hanging from the porch over the steps. A couple days later Dad, uncles Luigi & Bruno and grandpa spent the weekend in the cellar making Italian sausages, salamis and the like. Everything was processed in a big hand cranked grinder. I wil always remember them cranking with one hand while drinking glass after glass of homemade wine with the other, laughing and conversing in Italian. After the ground pork & spices were mixed on a big wood table grandpa would pickup a lump and taste it to check the seasoning. Then stuff into casings that were soaking in the concrete laundry tubs.
    Grandpa’s wine cellar had 7-8 barrels of wine on racks along two wall and a ceiling made of hanging sausages, salamis, hams & prosciutto. Our Sunday visits always started with two of us filling 2 gallon jugs and 2 pitchers with which ever barrel he wanted, then 6 kids seated around the table, grandpa at the head seat. Fried salami on hard rolls and a full glass of wine for us while dad paced back and forth, again conversing in Italian. We were allowed to go play after we finished our wine. I was too young to notice the spices they used other than the ingredients were stored in mason jars.
    What great memories! Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Believe it or not the bratwurst sold at carnivals in W. Germany (back when there was a W. Germany) were pretty tasty. I can't remember what they cost, but we'd get some good mustard, the wurst and a decent roll. Wow! Were they ever good!
    I used to go to the town Marktplatz in Würzburg every day for lunch and get the Nuremberger brats on a Brötchen. Used to cost a mark 50 for 5 of those pinkie sized sausages. That was good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    I use sage, it isn't breakfast sausage without sage! Oh, and some red pepper for a bit of heat too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast