Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 310 Greener/Cadet

Boolit Bub

310 Greener/Cadet

Hello, does anyone have experience with reloading dies in this caliber. I have done some searching on this site and others. I would like to get some dies but don't know what ones are best, Lee, ch4d, others? I do plan on the 7.62 x 38 for brass. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Lee and RCBS make dies for this cartridge on special order. The only die set ready for sale that I've seen is in Australia.
    Last edited by Tatume; 05-01-2021 at 01:18 PM.

I found two more sets, one in Great Britain, and the other in Romania. It appears obvious why these guns are re-chambered so often. There are several on eBay, but buy at your own risk; I wouldn't.

Boolit Master
    I use CH4D dies. They work well for me. You will need a heeled boolit for the 310.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I can't afford the special route.

Boolit Bub
    Swamp, I have a new arsenal 310 mold. ordered some of the nagant brass. I gues I will look into the CH4D dies. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    I use CH4D dies. They work well for me. You will need a heeled boolit for the 310.
    swamp
    A lot of thought needed for this. If the rifle is original you do not need a heeled boolit? The original barrels were 0.316" and a conventional cast boolit of 0.317" will shoot well. The contract for replacement barrels was awarded to Greener and they supplied barrels of 0.321". The Colonial Bullet Co. of South Australia devised a heeled bullet so that ammunition for the new barrels would shoot accurately. I have some WW2 vintage copper jacketed boolits that measure 0.316" which is correct for original guns.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Bub
    I guess I need a chamber cast to sort this out!

Boolit Bub
    To BAW, is there any obvious marks to tell which barrel I may have on the cadet. I can't get to my cerrosafe right now. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    i reload for mine using 32/20 cases ,unaltered,and a homemade neck sizing die ....made from either a 30/06 or 30/30 die by cutting the die off short enough to just size the neck......32/20 cases are quite thin,and the 30-cal neck is just right....You will also need a neck expanding/flare stem to make the cases just right for a cast boolit...The same dia as your bullet is good,the cases dont need a tight grip on a cast ..... definitely no heeled bullet,....never used one ,ever.

Boolit Buddy
    Depending on your chamber 32 S&W Or 30 Carbine dies would be worth a try.
    If you need to crimp a heeled bullet you're looking at having to find a special die or make a custom tool.

Boolit Bub
    johnk, vagrantviking

I was planning on using the 7.62 nagant brass, The way I understand it I should be able to hand seat the bullet once it is fire formed? I really need to do a chamber cast, I just don't have access to my gear right now. I have all of the dies mentioned. I surely will be able to make it work. The fellow that sold me the rifle said it had not been reamed to 32-20. He has owned it since import and had never fired it!

Boolit Bub
    Right now I am gathering what I thought I needed. BAS's post kind of put a stop to that until I do a cast.

Quote Originally Posted by magdump View Post
    To BAW, is there any obvious marks to tell which barrel I may have on the cadet. I can't get to my cerrosafe right now. Thanks.
    An orininal rifle will have the identical serial number stamped on both the barrel and action.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    Magdump - some good resources here on the Cast Bullet Engineering site under "Downloads".

https://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/downloads

Some takeaways: Make brass out of .32-20 and make it long enough to jam a properly fitted heeled bullet into the throat; "correct" cases can turn out to be quite a bit longer than the books say, so real .310 brass might be too short for best results; use an unsized case and seat bullets by hand; Unique is good.

Note also that many rifles have been altered to accept .32-20 cases so it's worth trying one in yours - if it will chamber then all that will be required is a bit of length trimming. If you run standard .310 brass in a .32-20 conversion you may experience case separations.

My experience of .310s is from quite a while ago, and they were BSAs, but I am surrounded by users who get good results - and who fish out a few broken shells when they don't realize they have a.32-20. A friend has one altered to .32-40 to overcome the need for a heeled bullet. It shoots #32359 (122 gns) quite well. A parallel sided (i.e. altered) chamber will also allow .323" bullets to be seated in .32-20 cases. It's called 8x33.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if he has this caliber in his catalog but it might be worth checking with Bernie at Old West Bullet Molds - he generally is on top of heeled boolit needs.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I use 32 20 brass and the RCBS 310 120 heeled mold. I use CH dies.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Bub
    To BAS, The rifle has the original barrel(numbers match), as I said earlier according to the previous owner an unaltered chamber. I may be able to use the cut down fire formed nagant brass. I will confirm this with a chamber cast. I really want to have the original caliber. I thank all who participated in this thread. I will report back when I get a chance to load and shoot it. Thanks.
    Last edited by magdump; 05-07-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Boolit Bub
    pworley1 , what is the diameter of the RCBS bullet?

Boolit Master
    You havent mentioned what make it is.....Greener rifles generally will take a 32/20 case without any alteration....these are the first delivery 1908 rifles......the second delivery were all BSA s,and will need the rim recess deepened a few thou...the BSA second deliverys have the nice sights with windage adjustment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast