Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: FN-49 gas plug dimensions

Boolit Man

FN-49 gas plug dimensions

I'm trying to tinker on a metric FN FAL and metric gas plugs are currently unobtanium in my price range. Got to thinking about the development history and realized Numrich has a pile of partially finished FN-49 gas plugs at a very attractive price. However, I don't know how close the two parts are dimensionally.

Does anyone have the ability to check whether an FN-49 gas plug will fit the FAL gas block?

Alternatively, can someone with an FN-49 measure their gas plug (specifically, the diameter and OAL from the lugs to the gas piston side, and the lug dimensions)? I have the ability to adapt these if necessary but want to make sure there is enough material to start with.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by NikA; 05-01-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Boolit Man
    Bump. Surely someone has an FN-49 around they can measure the gas plug on.

Boolit Buddy

OK here you go. Mine is Egyptian, if it matters. Diameter is 0.432". From the front of the lug 0.912". Lugs are 0.118" thick. And the lugs are 0.353".
    Also, There is a ring groove just behind the lugs about 0.085", the ring groove is about 0.067" wide.
    Dan

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the info! Looks like the dimensions might be a little too far off to be an easy modification, but worth trying.

I hear the .30-06 ones have gas plugs with .175 lugs, if anyone wants to measure one for me that'd be great; otherwise I will report back when I order one in a week.

Boolit Man
    Got my .30-06 FN-49 gas plug, unfortunately dimensions are basically identical except for the lug thickness, so there's not extra that can be removed for my project. Oh well, worth the 10$ to figure that out and have a spare around in case it satisfies some other need.