Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder measure for pistols

Boolit Master

powder measure for pistols

i'm using a redding powder measure. am having trouble getting accurate measures with bullseye powder. it meters from 0 to + 3 tenths grain. i do not like that. any suggestions what measure i should try next. oh; i also have a older lyman with the smaller pistol drum feature. it also jams when "cutting" thru bullseye. any suggestions on a different measure. or, i'll just not use bullseye?

Boolit Master

I have one of the 1950's models of the Redding measure and mine will weigh bullseye within one tenth of a grain regularly. But one little thing I learned years ago. If you want dead on with any powder measure, set your measure one to 2 tenths low and trickle the rest of the charge. I have never had or never seen a powder measure (and I have seen or used most) that would weigh finer powders with absolute repeatability. Stick powder even worse. I also have a RCBS measure and both are excellent but I use both with the method I told you about. And no, the idea is not original with me, I got the little trick from competition shooters I shot with years ago. james

Boolit Grand Master
    My Lyman 55 seems to measure small charges of Bullseye flawlessly.

I have only used it clamped to a board, never in a press.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Redding is the best if the model you have matches your powder choice.

You need the model that dispenses small charges for handguns. The larger volume rifle powder measures will not work as well. You can throw (2) equal charges when using the small volume measure for rifle.

I cannot recall the model number for the handgun measure.

FYI- I have had dead on accuracy from Lee drum Powder measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    My Lyman 55 seems to measure small charges of Bullseye flawlessly.

I have only used it clamped to a board, never in a press.

Robert
    The old Lyman 55s do a nice job of throwing small charges. I use mine to throw HP38 at 2.1-2.2gr. for my 32ACP. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Contact Redding and ask if the 0-10 grain metering insert will fit your old measure.

I have the new 30 BR measure for pistol and it is fiendishly consistent.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Pistol insert is the solution. My Redding w/pistol drum and consistent motion is extremely accurate.

Boolit Master
    Redding does have a small powder insert. P/n is 003313. I tried to find one for my Redding powder measure, as I also load 9mm with 4.0 grains of Bullseye. Most suppliers do not have the 003313 in stock, I did find one that had two in stock. Unfortunately, they were located in Australia.

Boolit Master
    Of my plethora of powder measures, fixed rotary, adjustable, sliding automatic, the recent Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder measure with the small rotor(adjustable) throws the most accurate small charges I have found. Under 0.1 grain with TiteGroup and HP38, have not tried other powders. With ball spherical, my plain Lee Perfect Powder measure stay under 0.1 grain also, most stcik powders like RL15, 2015, Varget too. Don't use IMR3031 or IMR4064 due their measuring traits. I have an old Bonanza fixed rotor, like the RCBS Lil Dandy that works well but you do need different rotors for each charge, the Lee Deluxe Perfect does work more accurately. I can not detect charge weight differences with my RCBS 505 balance beam using the Lee Deluxe with small rotor for 3-7 grain charges.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee auto drum is the most consistent powder thrower I have used. +-.1gr with every powder I have tried.

The Lyman 55 seems to do small chargers well if you adjust it properly. I also like the Pacific/Hornady pistol measure with the small brass rotors. I do agree the best( but tedious) way to be perfect is to drop light and trickle up.

Boolit Master

I load 1.1grs of Bullseye using the Lyman 55. Had that Load from My Dad more then 50yrs ago. He loaded .32Short&Wimpy for My GrandMothers S&W Lemon Squeezer.

The Hornady L-N-L Powder Measure had a SMALL rotor accessory offered for the Pistol drum when it first came out. Guess there wasn't enough takers to continue production.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Dillon powder measure with the small or even extra small bar. It doesn't vary enough to even bother to check once it's set.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    For small charges of flake powders in pistols I’ve found the Lee Pro Disc is great. If a cavity isn’t quite right I just ream it with a tapered reamer until it throws the weight I want, just go easy and work your way up. I have discs set for all my standard loads.

I get great results with a model 55 by filling it to what ever level I want and then tapping the side of the hopper to settle the charge. This produces a uniform density through out the hopper so charges are thrown uniformly.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

I like the Lyman 55. It uses three slides so it can work well with anything from very large charges to very small charges.
    Using as many of the slides as you can for a given charge keeps the size of the opening into the chamber as small as it can be. This helps consistancy by not having to cut as many granules of powder.
    I like my Lee PPM. It works very well. The rubber wiper help prevent needing to cut granules. It works for most loads from small to medium large but has a limited capacity. Lee's Safety Scale has the same limitation.
    For some of my loading a powder dipper set for the charge I want is very accurate and can never get out of calibration.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

I have used a few different measures with decent results. RCBS uniflow and little Dandy, lyman 55, a cabellas ( knock off of the uniflow),redding, Harrels and a couple of the autos.One of my most accurate for small charges is one I made a cross between a little dandy and belding and mull, this is a manual slide with bushings. Stroke is about 1" and hoppers only holds about 1/4 lb of powder.

My observations are most measures work best in the mid range of charge weight. They also rely on a accurate consistent operation to be at their best. Tats one reasson I believe the measure on progressives work so well.The press is a very constant operation.

The cabellas measure while inexpensive also had the largest tolerances the drum had both wobble on dia and a lot of end play. internal surfaces were a very rough as cast. The measuring cavity was also on the larger size. I never did get it to throw really good charges with any powder.

The rcbs and lyman measures are well known so wont touch on them. The belding and mulls throw good with almost any powder but are also 2 hand operation. The harrels are true upper end measures and are very well made pieces of equipment.

Cavity size has 2 effects on the measure 1) ease of adjustment and 2) fill ratio. A rotary with a cavity dia of around .3125 and a slightly cupped adjuster should throw charges very well and be easier to adjust. With the smaller dia it takes more length to make a big change.

For a dedicated small charge measure a uniflow or redding with hte cavity sleeved down to .321 with a modified stem and thread adjuster should give great service. Pick up a uniflow drum and drill cavity thru removing the threads. Sleeve down to .3125 with a 1/4 28 thread in one end. make the plunger from a bolt and cut a very shallow 1/2 concave top on it.

Boolit Master
    my redding measure is from the mid 1980s. there is "match grade" on the micrometer. i'll call them on monday

Boolit Mold
    I have RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, and Dillon that are all good but if I am loading for precision I go to my Bellding and Mull. It has always been the most consistent I have ever used.

Boolit Master
    i was gifted a belding and mull; but have never used it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast