Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: powder measure for pistols

Boolit Master

And?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i was gifted a belding and mull; but have never used it
    If you are serious about precision, you owe it to yourself to try that B&M! Until the advent of the Culver-type micrometer measures it was the preferred measure for many of the benchrest crowd... still is for many of them. You’ll need a solid mounting position and probably a small funnel for your cases. It also handles various types of powders... in fact all types of powder with good accuracy. If I have difficulties with one of my “problem children” (I collect powder measures) I can usually go to the B&M to get good results.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    i tried the belding & mull powder measure. after 7 charges; i got tired of not seeing the pointer on the powder scale move!! i also figured out how to repeat a setting. measure the depth of the powder resoviour with a depth gage.

I have been using a BM and its right on. I stumbled into another with a brass hopper and its just as good. I have that one mounted.

Spend the $30 and get the delux lee ppm, you won’t be dissatisfied. It is very accurate in its throws. I use a lot of 700x. Never disappoints.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    Spend the $30 and get the delux lee ppm, you won’t be dissatisfied. It is very accurate in its throws. I use a lot of 700x. Never disappoints.
    I’m sorry, but seeing this after several posts for Belding & Mull powder measures is sorta like suggesting you purchase a Volkswagen to replace a Porsche. You could go get the groceries in both, but the trip would be a lot less enjoyable. I’m not slamming Lee products in general, but facts is facts!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have one of the 1950's models of the Redding measure and mine will weigh bullseye within one tenth of a grain regularly. But one little thing I learned years ago. If you want dead on with any powder measure, set your measure one to 2 tenths low and trickle the rest of the charge. I have never had or never seen a powder measure (and I have seen or used most) that would weigh finer powders with absolute repeatability. Stick powder even worse. I also have a RCBS measure and both are excellent but I use both with the method I told you about. And no, the idea is not original with me, I got the little trick from competition shooters I shot with years ago. james
    Amen on that - I use an old RCBS powder measure with the smaller drum, and it is tolerable. It took me forty forevers to finally figure out how handy a trickler is. Got a Hornady trickler, and weighted down the bottom with an epoxy and number 8 shot mix, and man it saves time. I set my RCBS to a hair below the charge of say Unique or Bullseye, and use the fire out of the trickler.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Amen on that - I use an old RCBS powder measure with the smaller drum, and it is tolerable. It took me forty forevers to finally figure out how handy a trickler is. Got a Hornady trickler, and weighted down the bottom with an epoxy and number 8 shot mix, and man it saves time. I set my RCBS to a hair below the charge of say Unique or Bullseye, and use the fire out of the trickler.
    Can I ask why??

I've used and own Hornady and Dillon powder measures. With Bullseye the variance is less than 0.1 gr. The way I test is to throw and weigh 10 charges.

Do this a couple of times and you'll have a very good idea how consistent your powder measure is.

I will say that most of my pistol loading is one the low end of the scale and I do several hundred rounds in a session.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I weight each charge, and with Bullseye it is not too bad, but when I am loading for 32S&WLong, a tenth makes quite a difference, and I usually only have to trickle what? 2 or 3 times out of ten. With Unique, and loading for 44 Special, it is more problematic - say with 6.8 grains locked in on the measure, sometimes it will throw 6.4, sometimes 6.7, often 6.8, and then 7.1 grains. With Unique it may be more closer to trickling 3 or 4 out of ten loads.

Boolit Master
    Jinxed myself in a good way. Loaded about 50 32S&W Longs - 1.9 gr. Bullseye. Did not need the trickier one time. Two were over, but just dumped those back in the RCBS powder measure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12