Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck Case Remover

Boolit Master

With me, it was probably a combination of bad/not enough lube and the weak, IMO, rim on the 5.56 cases, and finally the loose Lee shell holder. I have since switched to RCBS shell holders, which are tighter and hold the rim better, and to Imperial Lube, which so far has been great, no stuck cases. Now, I have stuck a couple cases before, but with the Lee dies, all I had to do is take the die apart and tap the case out. With the RCBS dies I couldn't do that without possible destroying the decapping pin or rod. No issue replacing it, but I had 2k cases to convert, 1k 300BLK, 1k 277WLV, so couldn't wait. The Lyman was available over the counter at my LGS, had to call around, but it unstack all 4 of the ones that managed to get stuck, out of the 2k.
    So, just got this thing in the mail, and I must say, it should be much better than the one I have, or any other methods mentioned so far. It has jaws that should hold the rim very tight, and the stud part floats along a channel to snap it into the ram. Which means no disassembly, no damaging anything...unless I pull the case in half
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Don’t forget when needing to extract a stuck case, give it a shot of good penetrating oil first and give that a few hours to work. This makes a big difference in how much force will be needed to pop the case loose.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Don’t forget when needing to extract a stuck case, give it a shot of good penetrating oil first and give that a few hours to work. This makes a big difference in how much force will be needed to pop the case loose.
    IME, any oil that could penetrate between a jammed brass case and steel die wall also couldn't be stored in any kind of container, it would penetrate under the tightest possible screw-on cap and leach out.

Boolit Master
    Aerosol cans.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Cases get stuck in sizer dies for one reason - poor lubrication! It can be due to a poor lube choice OR from putting too little lube on the case, down near the web, where it's needed most. Fact is, ALL commercial case lubes and a lot of substitutes work fine IF they are applied correctly.
    Failing to let the alcohol evaporate from homemade or commercial alcohol and lanolin lubes is another good way to get cases stuck. I learned that the hard way.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Failing to let the alcohol evaporate from homemade or commercial alcohol and lanolin lubes is another good way to get cases stuck. I learned that the hard way
    Roger that! Seems it's a common example of failing to apply the lube correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12