Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Lead on cleaning patch- is this normal?

Boolit Buddy

Lead on cleaning patch- is this normal?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q6JFYAYBZvqKPVZn7

First two patches through barrel after +/-50 rounds. Would this be considered leading?

Boolit Buddy
    That's normal, leading is when lead is smeared in your barrel and it takes scrubbing with a brush or pad to get it out.

More likely from powder then lead. Normal.

Boolit Master
    It is leading but it's not a big deal if it wipes out with a patch. I got the same thing from a new 45-70 barrel, probably just part of the break-in period because it only happened that one time. Scrub it real good and see if it gets better the next time you shoot it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I get that when I clean my bullseye gun but it is after nearly a thousand rounds, I only clean it twice a year if it needs it or not. I use a .50 cal bore brush with Ed's Red
    and I see a few of those with a patch soaked with ER. My alloy is 92-6-2 or Hard ball.

You probably will see those speckles when shooting lead. Not a problem. No need to scrub them out, normal. You will feel any substantial leading when you run the patch through the bore.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. Have only been shooting cast lead for a couple of years now but have not seen this with other rifles.

Rifle is a 336 rebarreled to 38-55. Bore slugs to .377, have tried shooting boolits sized .379, .380 and .381, no jwords through this bore. Seems that no matter the alloy or lube used, gas check or not always get these decent sized flakes. Even bought some coated boolits and got the same results.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Have only been shooting cast lead for a couple of years now but have not seen this with other rifles.

Rifle is a 336 rebarreled to 38-55. Bore slugs to .377, have tried shooting boolits sized .379, .380 and .381, no jwords through this bore. Seems that no matter the alloy or lube used, gas check or not always get these decent sized flakes. Even bought some coated boolits and got the same results.
    perhaps some modest fire-lapping would eliminate those few lead speckles and your concerns. I know it did wonders to the barrel of my 24" Rossi 92 in 357
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was shooting rifles in Schuetzen events, I was delighted if, at the end of the day, my first two patches through the bore looked like that. Unless there is significant lead still ironed into the grooves of your barrel, I’d say you are good to go.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    PS to last: I was shooting all plain based lead alloy bullets (25:1 lead to tin) in 32 caliber, 32-40 and 32/357 Dell.
    "It aint easy being green!"