RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Working the kinks out of an old CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle

Boolit Master

Working the kinks out of an old CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle

With all of the issues so many are having with .22 LR right now, getting the ammo etc. I decided to try and work out some more kinks with my old CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle. This gun was built as a kit by my Grandfather sometime in the 1970's and I inherited it some 25 years ago. It was in pretty rough shape when I got it, and I essentially had to rebuild it and ended up refinishing it. The double set triggers didn't work and there was something wrong with them internally so I converted it to a single trigger which works very well. I replaced the nipple with one that takes musket caps which made the ignition much more reliable.

Last year though for some reason the gun was not shooting well with a load I had worked up for it. My normal load used to be 10 grains of FFFG Triple 7 and a .010" patch (any thicker and it would burn through) with a .310" roundball. But as you can see from the first target at 30 yards, there was no consistency. So I decided to try it out with some Goex FFFG and the same patch, same roundball but the load was upped to 20 grains, no burn through on the patches either. I shot it again at the same distance and the results were much better. So this is now just part of the arsenal I plan on taking out this fall squirrel hunting so that I don't have to use up shotgun or .22 LR ammo where as .310" roundballs are pretty much everywhere and I have enough on hand to last me several years, and 20 grains of powder at a time is hardly enough to worry about.

The first target shot with Triple 7 powder at 30 yards.

The second target with Goex FFFG at 30 yards.

A pretty big difference between the two.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master

I had a TC .32 at one time and should have kept it. I used FFFG also and it shot very well for me. Those little rifles makes a pound of powder go a long way and the round balls are cheap compared to a 50 or 58. Enjoy that little rifle, they are a hoot to shoot for sure. james

Hello David,

I've been playing with .32 since 1984, the CVA's are fun little guns.
    Unfortunately I sold mine and purchased a .32 Pedersoli Flint with a 39" barrel.
    Unable to get it firing reliably I converted it to Percussion.
    Years later I picked up a CVA Squirrel kit and my son assembled it, he did a very nice job.
    So nice that I decided I wanted another one myself. I did finally find one.
    We have put the Mountain Rifle Sights on both, looks much nicer than the Hunting Sights they came with.
    I've been shooting a .308 RB with a thick patch, it was all I could find back in the day but shoots well.
    The only issue with the little Squirrel Rifles is the lack of comb in the stock.
    Here is a little history of the Squirrel Rifle.
    The Squirrel Rifle, .32 caliber Percussion or Flintlock, 1:48 twist 25” x 11/16” barrel, introduced in 1983
    The Left Hand 32 caliber Percussion Rifle and Percussion Kit introduced in 1984.
    The 36 Caliber Percussion Squirrel Rifle and Percussion Kit introduced in 1989.
    The 36/50 caliber Combo Percussion Kit introduced in 1989.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Traditions Deerhunter in 32 cal. I shoot it with 15gr Pyrodex P. Good little shooter and powder lasts forever.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got a Traditions Crocket in .32 that I really need to get busy with, squirrel season starts next month.

The Crocket rifle is nice and light, just as a small bore should be. I saw one of the Deerhunters in a store for about half what I paid for mine, but it felt awful heavy with its large barrel and small hole.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I got it cheap cause it was on clearance. Wish I had gotten two. It's a little heavy but not bad for me and has a short barrel so balances well for me.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I would recommend measuring the twist in the barrel as TC and others went to a faster twist ( universal) if it is one of these give a bullet a try. You might try something along the lines of a 32 cal round nose pistol bullet in the 70 grn range cast from pure lead. the longer bullet may match the rifling better

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I would recommend measuring the twist in the barrel as TC and others went to a faster twist ( universal) if it is one of these give a bullet a try. You might try something along the lines of a 32 cal round nose pistol bullet in the 70 grn range cast from pure lead. the longer bullet may match the rifling better
    If its a 48 twist thats the round ball twist for 32 and 36 cal - 66 twist for 45 and 50 cal - 66 or 72 for a 54 cal ...................
    Big fun advantage of a 32 round ball is you can take an aerial shot with it and if you miss you not gonna kill your neighbor in his hayfield - even a 22 is dangerous shot in the sky most places we live these days.

That is a nice rifle. I have been looking for a .32 for many years.
    NRA Benefactor