Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck turning

variable speed drill and a large chuck. Replaced the small one on an old drill. Put case head in the chuck and just hold the tool. I take large cuts on converted BO brass, works fine. Cut, trim, turn, debur, size, load & shoot, anneal next time. Shoot til case/PP is worn out.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    What he said^^^^^

I also prefer the Forster and use often on different cartridges. As mentioned, just a bit of turning is all that is needed for standard and even match 308W and 30-06 chambers. Remove just enough to remove the high spots. I usually won't have a "clean cut all around the neck but usually just about 50% or less is cut.

When turning a large number of necks I replace the handle with the adaptor for an electric screw driver or small variable speed drill. Makes turning a lot easier and quicker.
    I would agree. For most handloaders they would be better off just going for the high spots because in most instances, trying to have a 100% cut all the way around the neck results in too much brass removed.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-08-2021 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    RCBS used to or does make a reaming die that holds the case neck snug and holds its reamer in alignment to prevent out-of-round reaming. For doing a large number of cases it might work best.
    Back in 1975 I gought an RCBS neck reamer for 308 Winchester. Got it as a new barrel had a tight chamber and would not accept loads assembled in military surplus cases. Recently discovered it will remove the neck step in SMI 7.35x51 Carcano cases.

The Lyman outside neck turner attachment has been discontinued. May happen to the Forster later? If you already own the trimmer, then maybe buy the attachment?

Most are buying the new type Outside neck turner tool.

FYI The Forster Outside Neck turning Pilots fit the Old Discontinue Lyman. I just used a Forster in my Lyman.

Boolit Master

I use a Forster ONR using a power screw driver to turn it. Very fast and makes nice aligned necks.

Boolit Grand Master

There are a lot of good turning tools available. The little Forster works well and makes nice cuts but its harder to adjust. That would be ok if you are only going to turn one type of cartridge. Its also cheaper than most of the others. K&M, Sinclair and PMA make a quality tool thats easier to adjust. Buy the expander die and mandrels when you buy the tool. Also get a stud and shell holder that will allow you to use an electric drill. There are some other nice tools available but the ones that I mentioned are the only ones that I have owned.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm just getting into this and literally know nothing but what I've read here. Haven't looked at the various products, but the only caliber I would currently need one for is my 9.3. Does anyone make a mandrel for this? Do I need a mandrel for the fired case or for the sized case? The sized case I would think I would need to ream the inside, cause that's where the extra brass is - when making cartridges from 30-06 the outside of the neck is sized and the extra brass is inside, outside reaming wouldn't fix that?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Wayne (the other one), I have had that problem with cases for 7.62 Tok formed from 5.56. I use the Forster, but when I ordered the pilot, I forgot that .308 was the expanded diameter, not the sized diameter. I have been drilling the case mouths with an appropriate sized drill, so that the pilot can fit. Then I neck turn the outside. It's a lot of work, but by now I have an ample supply of Tok brass. Any more I outside turn the cases that have been fired, before sizing.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I use the K&M tool along with their expanders & use power to turn the cases. Be sure to get a cutter with an angle to match your shoulder angle. Works great when turning large numbers of 219 D Wasp cases.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

I use my lathe and a Lyman universal shell holder. It makes quick work of large numbers of brass.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I use my lathe and a Lyman universal shell holder. It makes quick work of large numbers of brass.
    I am surprised that a Lyman trimmer head in a lathe would hold a case straight enough for neck turning.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I use the Lyman neck turning tool that goes on the case trimmer , the only thing I ve had to turn is 7-08's formed from 308 . It works pretty well and faily simple to set up .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

I have an RCBS Rotary Case Trimmer with the RCBS Case Neck Turning Tool.
    Kind of a bugger to set, but works well when set.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few neck turning tools.
    Lucky I haven't had to try using them on the cases I shoot.
    I'm guessing it's more of a precision shooting must have thing.

Boolit Grand Master

Neck turning is a tool in the box that can be used for several reasons, I would imagine the most likely is when reforming or wildcatting sizing necks down thickens the brass making thinning it back to fit chambers required. Another popular reason for it is with the ultra precision crowd, thinning to get the most consistent wall thickness and bullet release along with fitting the neck to the chamber. Most bench rest shooters run in the .0005 - .001 range for clearance in the chamber.

The process can produce the last little up in accuracy and consistency to be in or out of the winners circle or the difference in a safe load and over pressure.

I formed 243 from 308 and they normally need a light touch and clean up to chamber easily and safely. The guys forming early 22-250 also required his step or having a reamer ground with a bigger neck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12