WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Babbitt Ingots for Casting Metal

Boolit Bub

Using Babbitt Ingots for Casting Metal

Does anyone use Babbitt Ingots as a source of tin for Bullet casting?

Roto Metals say theirs is 90-92% tin, 4-5% Antimony, 4-5% copper.

Mine one bar said Nickel XXXX, and the other 5# bar just says Hewitts Special Hardened Babbitt Metal. No other stamping or Number.
    Last edited by Riceguy; 04-30-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    I don't personally but I know people who do. They usually buy off of the auction site.

Boolit Master
    I bought some but have not used it yet.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    I have some scrap babbit and use 1 lb babbit to 20 lbs soft lead. Shoot everything frin 32-20 to 50-90

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    There are at least 15 different alloys and types of Babbitt alloy, so you need to research the number designation stamped in the ingots you have. All vary WIDELY as to Sn. I have at least 3 different types, all stamped with the alloy # from the foundry.

Good stuff..............IF you know hat is in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I use it. As it was explained to me use it as tin.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    Long ago,1964/5? my uncle regularly brought Babbit flashing home from the Bethlehem Steel for me to cast my 31141 bullets. I had no one advising me in reloading or casting at the age of 14, only books. The Babbitt shot OK if I was careful and it was well-lubed with the black Lyman graphite(?) lube, it would 'lead'(tin? the barrel if shot too fast in my Microgroove 30-30. The bullets were very hard, I have no idea which Babbitt it was, it did cast very nicely and I do remember a coppery sheen in the pot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Long ago,1964/5? my uncle regularly brought Babbit flashing home from the Bethlehem Steel for me to cast my 31141 bullets. I had no one advising me in reloading or casting at the age of 14, only books. The Babbitt shot OK if I was careful and it was well-lubed with the black Lyman graphite(?) lube, it would 'lead'(tin? the barrel if shot too fast in my Microgroove 30-30. The bullets were very hard, I have no idea which Babbitt it was, it did cast very nicely and I do remember a coppery sheen in the pot.
    Off topic, but isn't it amazing the details we remember from when we were young, while we can't remember the details from something we did 6 months ago?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I use it. Bought some tin babbit from a member (he analyzed it and included the specs). Sn content was over 90% so I poured it into 1lb and 1/2lb ingots and add use it to make my 16::1 alloy
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

The 5% copper may plug a bottom pour spout of a Lee 10 lb pot.

Blended with other alloy, may not be an issure.

Boolit Master

There are 47 different known recipes for Babbitt, or to say it another way, Babbitt can vary widely in its composition.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use it, but mainly to add copper to my alloy. I then adjust the tin content with bars of solder I picked up from the scrap yard (still in factory box!!)

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    #11 Babbitt-86%SN, 10.6%SB, balance is Cu. Use it like tin, it works great. That’s what I have and I couldn’t beat the price.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    The 5% copper may plug a bottom pour spout of a Lee 10 lb pot.

Blended with other alloy, may not be an issure.
    I have used copper hard babbit to good effect but as mentioned if you use a little too much, you will have bottom pour spout freeze. I was lucky enough to have been gifted about 30lbs. of copper hard from an old friends machine shop. Gp

Boolit Master
    Why would the copper freeze the bottom spout? If it came out of solution, it would float.

If it stays dissolved are you suggesting that it changes phase with a slight temperature drop? Like alpha and beta phase lead and tin in a coler mix?

If so, would that problem be eliminated at a higher casting temperature?

Thanks

Martin: Me not knowing the science or anything about alpha or beta phases it would be hard for me to say. I can assure you if used in moderation the bit of copper added is a good thing but if too much copper is added to your alloy bottom pour spouts will freeze. Gp

I was given some Babbitt metal or bearing metal years ago. When melted it acted like a thick soup at maximum heat. Not good for casting. Kept plugging the bottom pour.
    I read in an old American Rifleman Magazine how to get copper out. Slowly bring the cold alloy up till it just starts to melt.
    The surface will look like oatmeal. Skim this off. This gets rid of the copper. But antimony may go too.

Just how i remember it?

Boolit Master
    In my case the copper content is so low and the tin is so high, the amount I add to my pot results in about .4% copper in my finished alloy. Not enough to worry about. If I wanted to increase the copper to any meaningful amount I'd end up with way too much tin and antimony. No need to waste either of those.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Bub
    I use it like tin and it works great, super silky pours is the only way I can describe it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Riceguy View Post
    Does anyone use Babbitt Ingots as a source of tin for Bullet casting?

Roto Metals say theirs is 90-92% tin, 4-5% Antimony, 4-5% copper.

Mine one bar said Nickel XXXX, and the other 5# bar just says Hewitts Special Hardened Babbitt Metal. No other stamping or Number.
    I've bought several ingots of Babbitt to use for bearings in old machine tools. I'm not wasting it on bullets. I can get lead for that. YMMV.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast