MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken Shell Holder

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    RCBS has said they have removed many stuck brass from FL dies, when reloaders were using Imperial Sizing Die Wax .

If your breaking shell holders, your not using RCBS Case Lube- 2 .
    243 I have the same opinion of Imperial . I have only stuck one case (5.56 LC 98) using Imperial, but the force required to size or case form is much higher than with RCBS or my homemade lube. I was disappointed with Imperial after all the hype. My worst experience has been with One Shot, stuck 4 cases in one evening.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gee_Wizz01 View Post
    243 I have the same opinion of Imperial . I have only stuck one case (5.56 LC 98) using Imperial, but the force required to size or case form is much higher than with RCBS or my homemade lube. I was disappointed with Imperial after all the hype. My worst experience has been with One Shot, stuck 4 cases in one evening.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I had a jar of Imperial that was left in the garage for a few years and when I went to use it I almost stuck a case. On closer examination a darker colored brown something had separated out into the center bottom of the jar. I warmed it up and thoroughly remixed and helped but was still not right.

Back to the subject broken shell holder, I'm having a hard time getting my brain wrapped around the idea of a brass case rim being stronger than a steel shell holder, regardless of heat treating. I wonder if over a long period of time excessive cam-over with some narrow mouthed die of some sort or another initiated the failure.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Metal fatigue happens over time from repeated uses. This may explain why the thin lips of shell holders sometimes break off. Other factors could be a flaw in the steel, a heat treating issue, or some other problem. Nothing lasts forever and mass produced items are bound to have a failure once in a while.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I have two RCBS #3 shell holders. The old 1973 shows wear from many loadings of 243, 308, 3006, 45acp. . Can't be overly hard? Can it?

Boolit Master

RCBS Case Lube-2 is really Great Stuff. I'm still using a bottle from 20yrs ago. And the same Case Lube pad. Sizing is always easy as long as you remember to ROLL the cases across the pad.

I probably use more Imperial Sizing wax then most, as I said before GREASY Fingers. And yet have only had one case ever "crease" . And that was when sizing .45-70 down to .40-65WCF.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I’ve stuck a case 30-06 with the home brew alc and lanolin solution by getting in a hurry and not giving the alc time to flash off. Will stick every time.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't remember ever seeing a broken shellholder. But I bet RCBS will make it right for you.

With just 300 or so uses it probably was a bad shell holder.
    If your press is a rock Chucker, it is an over center press. as the ram cams over it exerts extreme pressure. If you adjust the die so it just kisses the shell holder with out the case, then when you size a case anywhere there is any give in the press such as slack in the linkages or frame stretch then the force to push the cae into the die removes all this slack. When this happens you will see the shell hlder no longer touches the die.
    Now if you adjust the de in a bit so it just kisses the shell holder when sizing a case, then with out a case the ram can apply excessize pressure on the shell hlder. This stresses the shell holder. Then after enoug times the shell holder gives at the place that can least hangle this pressure. Just like in the pic.
    I had a Rock Chucker once years ago. The cam over wa there and I never really liked it. It felt not right. I can't really describe it any better.
    Being as it was what I had I lived with it. I now have a press that comes to a dead stop, no cam over. It Feels right. The solid feel of it stopping is a delight. I no longer have to guess if I reached the end of the stroke.
    With this It would be hard to over stress the shell holder in such a way.
    Now As I first said I don't think this applies to a fairly new shell holder. I think it would take 1000's of cycles to break that way.
    I think that adding a stop to the linkages to stop the ram just before a press cams over is a good idea.
    Leo

Just FYI you can fill,out an email (Contact RCBS) on their website. State your problem. Be sure to include your mailing address and it will be shipped within a day or two. Usually quicker than waiting on a returned call these days.
    Safe shooting
    Doug
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12