WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Shell Holder

Boolit Master

Broken Shell Holder

While resizing some 45-75 win brass I broke my RCBS #31 shell holder! In 50years of reloading I thought I had seen everything, but this is the first time I ever broke a shell holder. When it happened I thought I had ripped the rim off of the case however when I got the case out of the die, the rim was OK.. The worst part is now I am down til I get a new one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Call them and they'll send you a new one for free.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Call them and they'll send you a new one for free.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I am waiting on a call back from them. They only take calls until 1pm now, I had to leave a message. I tried to email them but they have a notice stating they now have a 3 week wait on emails. Their site also indicates they have none in stock. I just ordered one from Midway. Oh well I guess I won't be loading any 45-75 until next week.

Gary

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I've never seen one break before - always figured they were pretty much "indestructible" - learn something new every day. Hope they have one and can get it out to you quickly.

They're swamped like everyone else. My mail lady told me she's working 7 days a week because they can't find anyone who wants to work. She hasn't had a day off in over 2 months.

If RCBS, and the rest of the industry is having the same issues, then I can understand them limiting their time on the phone and answering emails....
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

That’s a first for me in 50 years of reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    That’s a first for me in 50 years of reloading.
    I agree, I have been reloading since about 1973, and have never seen or heard of a shell holder breaking.
    Barry

What case lube was being used?

Boolit Grand Master
    The only ones I have ever broken were Lee's for the .43 Spanish. I was getting them locally, maybe Lee had a bad batch? I solved my problem by finding an RCBS shell holder #22 IIRC.

I usually buy two, one for the press and one for the priming tool. This only helps until you break the second one though.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with others, contact RCBS first. They will take care of you. Then if you can find one of these put it on a shelf. You won't be out of commission waiting for a shell holder.

https://www.natchezss.com/lee-univer...older-set.html

I bought the set years ago. I have two uses for it. I reload both in my house and in my shop. I have two shell holders for each caliber I load for....except 45Colt. I keep forgetting the shell holder in the house and needing it in my shop. Needed it last Sunday to deprime some brass I had shot that morning. Was about to go to the house to retrieve the shell holder and remembered I had the set, saved a trip to the house.

I also pick up live rounds at the range. Pull the bullets to melt, dump the powder, deprime and save/scrap the case. I use shell holders from the set for odd ball calibers which I don't have shell holders for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    What case lube was being used?
    I was using home brew lanolin and alcohol. Case was not even stuck, I was able to tap it out with a brass rod. The case rim is not damaged other than a burr on the rim

It seems that that shell holder missed the tempering step which left it brittle. I am another 1973 beginner to reloading. LOL

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately I have at least 2 shell holders ror every caliber I reload for except 45-75.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    It seems that that shell holder missed the tempering step which left it brittle. I am another 1973 beginner to reloading. LOL
    I suspect either bad heat treatment or bad machining or both. The machining has lot of rough cutter marks in the recesses.

Boolit Master

I broke RCBS 2 shell holders in one evening resizing CCC .43 Spanish brass. I had one shell holder fail several years ago; another brand and not RCBS. The walls on those cases were very thick and the first time thru a full length die takes a bit of muscle. The second time I need to resize them I can do so with a neck sizing die and everything is good to go. The funny part was that both shell holders broke when I was withdrawing the case from the die. I pulled both cases out of the die with my fingers. I called RCBS and they replaced one but would not send two. I am not sure they believed what I told them. But I figure that was fair as I was putting the shell holders thru a task that they were not designed to do. I bought a second shell holder and I finished resizing the cases I had without further problems. james

Boolit Master

I broke an RCBS shell holder about 20yrs ago sizing down Starline brass for a .40-82WCF, and yes I was using Imperial Sizing Die Wax applied with very greasy fingers.
    The starline cases were a Great Deal harder then the Connecticut Cartridge Cases or Bell Cases I had.
    That shellholder had probably loaded 5,000 .45-70's and RCBS sent me a new one, free.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

RCBS has said they have removed many stuck brass from FL dies, when reloaders were using Imperial Sizing Die Wax .

If your breaking shell holders, your not using RCBS Case Lube- 2 .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    When you change case holders, do remember to check your die settings - as the new case holder might possibly not be exactly identical in dimensions, to the old one.

It SHOULD be same dimensions, of course, if it's the same brand, a tad of paranoia is wise when working with 50+k PSI or so pressures, though, isn't it?

Be safe

Boolit Grand Master
    My thought, along with previous posters, is that you got a SH with a flaw in the steel. If you had gotten a steel case stuck in the sizing die, I would understand the break, but I’ve never heard of a steel case 45-70! I’ve never seen a RCBS shell holder break, but if you stay at this game long enough, you’ll see it all.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Froggie I think you are right. This shell holder has only seen about 300 cases being loaded. I believe it was some type metallurgical problem. You are correct about seeing everything in this game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast