MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Powders for 38-55

Boolit Mold

Powders for 38-55

Hello to all. I have recently aquired a miroku 38-55 94. With the current shortage situation i can't for the life of me locate and of the recommended powders for the cartridge. I have in stock quite a bit of CFE Blk.and alliant 1200R. In studying the burn rate charts. I see that these two powders are bracketed by the recommended powders. I was hoping some of you more experienced than I have worked up some loads with one of these. Any help is greatly appreciated

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon's online reloading data center doesn't list CFE Blk as one of the powders suitable for the 38-55. Alliant's online reloading guide doesn't list any loads for 38-55 at all. Those powders might "kinda sorta" work, but you'd probably be better served by getting some of the powders that are more common for that cartridge that have published data. I know - this shortage stinks!

Boolit Master

After browsing through my library of reloading manuals and accumulated data (I've been shooting .38-55s for a dozen years or so) I failed to find a single recommendation (or even a reference) to either of your powders and agree 100% with Post #2; shop around for one of the 'recommended' powders for .38-55 and go from there. FWIW, H4198 would be my first choice with a toss-up between AA2015 or Shooter's World 'Buffalo Rifle' for second.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Mold
    Well thats a bummer. Thanks for the replies. Im new to the whole lever gun thing. In the last few months i seen two of your recommended powders on the shelf. But i had no idea i would find a used M94 that needed a home in my safe. I have a good supply of my favorite powders. But most of my reloading is for typical centerfire rifle cartridges. 243-300 mag and everything in between. The cfe and 1200r i use to make some rather stout deer hunting loads in a 7.62x39. (For the cartridge). But usually I am very conservative with my handloads. Frankly deer under 250 yards are not all that tough. And accuracy trumps all in my opinion. I was going out on a limb joining this fine community and asking for something i was pretty sure didn't exist. Thank you

I'm loading 24gn of IMR4198 with a 250gn cast boolit @ approx 1750fps. This load is very accurate in my Legendary Frontirsman
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

call or write Hodgdon and ask.
    Last edited by 1006; 04-30-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I think 1006 has the best advice, call or write Hodgdon and ask.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Buddy
    I have found several good loads for my 38/55, mine is an Encore with MGM barrel. Lower speed loads using Red Dot, Unique, & BlueDot. 5744 works well. 3031 makes a good hunting load but my best groups have been with RL7.

I have used all of the following with predictable degrees of success with a 260 grain, cast, gas checked.

Theses work really well for 1000-1500fps
    RedDot
    Trail Boss
    Universal
    800X
    BlueDot
    RL-7: works well for full power loads.

The following work, but are too slow.
    BL(c)-2
    AA4350
    varget

Boolit Mold
    Well i picked up a Lb of Trail boss. And a good friend has a half Lb of 2400 I can technically acquirer. That should keep me busy untill i can find some appropriate "thumper" powder for hunting loads. Now to locate an appropriate mold. I'm waiting till i get said 38-55 out of gun jail to slug the bore. I appreciate all the suggestions. Im driving two hrs today to a little gun shop in the country to see if they have anything useful.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can find some IMR 4227 (probably in a dusty old can on a neglected shelf) that will work well. Likewise somebody might have a can or jug of the long discontinued 4759. This powder will really work well in the 38-55. In this day and age of powder “shortages” you’re as likely to find these two odd powders on some shelf of leftover powders as you are to find more “current “powders.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Some powders, mostly 'rifle' powders, mostly of the ball/sphereical type need more pressure to burn consistently/effectively. The 'stick' powders usually light and burn successfully at lower pressures. Most 'pistol' and 'shotgun' powders burn well at lower pressures by design. The 38-55 is happy with Rldr 7, 4198, 2015, 5744/Buffalo Rifle
    depending on your requirements. A case full of 4350 or 4831 gives almost 'black powder' results without the mess.

Boolit Buddy
    As for molds for 38/55, I have the Lee 250 & NOE 235. Both are PB, I powder coat & don’t see the need for GC in this cal. A lot of folks like heavier boolits but the way lead is going, I am staying lighter. Due to the different barrel sizes I have 5 sizing dies for this cal. I know it sounds funny but I am finding that different powders (speeds) prefer different sizes I have been shooting black powder also but get a little better groups with smokeless.
    Last edited by Yooper003; 04-30-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Also. Do any of you see a reason to not shoot 200gr boolits. Just for plonking loads with trailboss i think the warden will be much less annoyed with my purchase if she likes shooting it.

Boolit Mold
    Ok so the rabbit hole is getting deeper. I have most of a pound of Pyrodex RS sitting in my powder stash that has caught my attention. Is it so corrosive that it is a bad idea to go that route? Again thanks for the replys and advice, as this is all new to me. And as funds permit i will begin by ordering a mold. I have three 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights. And an about 50lbs of pure lead or close to pure as it is dead soft. How critical is the hardness when shooting lower pressure loads?

Boolit Buddy
    Don’t see why 200 wouldn’t work, I shoot them in my 35’s. I had not seen any molds in .376 - .379. Though I am sure they must be available.

Boolit Master
    Lee makes .380 Round Ball mold that would work for close range, there might be some molds available for the .36 caliber percussion pistols that would work for the 38-55. Of course Accurate can make what you want at a reasonable price. For hunting, a faster gas-checked bullet might be appropriate but most 38-55 kind of shooting, plain base should work, staying below 1400 fps. In the 38-55, an upside down gas check seated under and against the bullet base also works, if done with care, for faster bullet speed than a plain base will handle.