Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Ruger Black Hawk approximate total cost for cylinder replacement

Recent Ruger Black Hawk approximate total cost for cylinder replacement

Does anyone have any late approximate total cost for a Ruger factory cylinder replacement?
    Considering having new cylinder fitted to my existing frame & etc.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Vendor Sponsor

Ruger generally will replace a cylinder free if it needs it, however they will under no circumstances custom chamber a cylinder that would change the catalog number of the gun, in other words they won't supply a cylinder that is different from the one(s) the gun shipped with originally.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Thank you for taking time to answer.
    Question remains, does anyone have a current cost of having a cylinder replaced.
    Cost of shipping to Ruger, new cylinder, Install labor and transit cost back.
    Thanks.

like DougGuy said, they don't do that... call customer service explain your problem, they will have you send it in, determine what they think it needs and return it as it originally left the factory, most likely at no charge... they don't do custom work...and they don't sell cylinders... any non-stock parts will not be returned... that's Ruger's way...

Thanks for responses.
    I obviously wasn't clear and question was incomplete.
    Just thought someone else may have lost a cylinder and needed to have it replaced.
    Assumed(bad plan) someone else may have had a similar situation.
    I'll attempt to contact Ruger and go from there.
    If that fails I'll try and make my own.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 04-29-2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added thought

Vendor Sponsor

If you lost a cylinder they will replace it, usually no charge. They replaced a lost 45 ACP cylinder from a convertible, they even paid shipping both ways. Call them up. I have tried on multiple occasions to get them to quote me a price on cylinder replacement, they won't even go there.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    If your so inclined; Borchardt Rifle Company makes custom cylinders for Ruger single action revolvers. Check their website for prices and to see if they make what your looking for. As for Ruger factory repairs: I had the brazed on mount for the ejector housing screw on a super blackhawk break off once. I contacted them, then sent the revolver in for repairs. They replaced the entire barrel free of charge, and their service was excellent.

Boolit Master
    I had a 45 Blackhawk convertible that the previous owner had opened the throats to be vastly oversized. While sending it in for a transfer bar fix, I mentioned it in a note.

They fitted 2 new cylinders with perfect .4515" throats.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Am familiar with Borchardt.
    Had three cylinder blanks I had bought from Brownells before the inferno.
    One of them survived and I have it.
    The BH is a 30 carbine and just want a factory/Ruger cylinder in it.
    Thanks everyone for the guidance and information.
    School stopping for summer so maybe next week I can get with Ruger.
    Thanks.

Banned
    My experience is not so current, but in 2000 I split one chamber on a 357 cylinder. I sent the frame to Ruger, minus the cylinder and they replaced it for $75.00. I paid shipping out, they paid back to me.

Ken

Banned
    Not so current either , but a friend had a cylinder stolen out of a black hawk at a gunshow when he trusted his table to another older fellow while he went to the restroom .
    Ruger wouldn't quote a price , but it came back refinished with a new cylinder and no charge

Pressman & redneck1
    Thanks for your information.
    It has been years(when I had FFL) since I had interaction with Ruger in this kind of situation.
    But I had no real current guideposts to go by.
    I completely understand why they do not sell blank cylinders.
    Sell two and obtain 20 lawsuits!
    After next week I'll have more free time and will contact Ruger Service with my request.
    Thanks to all for contributions, muchly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Banned
    I would call Ruger and tell them you lost your cylinder and how much to have them replace it and go from there.

Bet you find it right after you get the new one

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I would call Ruger and tell them you lost your cylinder and how much to have them replace it and go from there.

Bet you find it right after you get the new one
    That is more true than you can imagine. I thought I had lost 2 cylinders for my Freedom Arms 83. They were the .454 and .45 ACP. I looked for over 2 months and finally contacted Freedom Arms to get new cylinders. I had to send my gun to them so the cylinders could be fitted and timed. By the time I added up the total cost it was well over $500.

Sure enough! I found the "lost" cylinders about the same time I received the new cylinders and my gun back from Freedom Arms. I posted this tale of woe and someone who read it suggested that I have the extra .45ACP cylinder bored for .45 Win Mag. I traded the .454 cylinder plus a little boot to a custom smith and now I have a total of 4 cylinders(.454C, .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .45 Win Mag. I doubt that I will live long enough to justify what I have in that gun.

I suggest you don't let your loading, casting, etc. shop get so junked up that you easily lose things. I'm working on cleaning it up but a lifetime of bad habits(hoarding) is hard to break.
    John
    W.TN

This was March 2008.
    Attachment 282254
    I keep looking but am loosing patience.
    End result for the structure was a hole dug and then covered with soil.
    Thanks all.

Boolit Grand Master
    Kinda reminds me of the mess around my loading bench only I have no charring and no real excuse! I feel your pain kywoodwrkr. Let us know what you find out, please... I’m interested in another cylinder for my Blackhawk 8 Shooter in 327... I’d like a 32-20 cylinder to go with it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I’m interested to see what they tell you. I bought a used 4 5/8” .45Colt that didn’t come up thru Ruger’s serial number list. I called and a lady at Ruger told me it was shipped as a convertible then said a replacement .45acp cylinder would be approximately $200.
    Last edited by Rick R; 05-06-2021 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Clarity

That's more the responses I got from Ruger. I sold my last one a couple weeks ago swearung I'd never have another Ruger if it was given to me. At the dealer shipping my Mini 14 he had a target gray SRH, still haven't learned my lesson and wondering if it's still there. Hopefully someone will buy it or I'll come to my senses. Then again, striking out so many times I have to get a good one sometime, right.

But anyway, what did Ruger tell you?

If you do send it to Ruger make sure you remove any after market parts. Ruger will remove them and replace them with factory original.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't Ruger have a custom shop now? I believe they do so I would think that fitting 9mm cylinder to a 357 or 45 acp to a 45 Colt would be easily done by them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast