WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Options other than Pat?

Boolit Buddy

Options other than Pat?

Seems like Pat Marlin cornered the market on gas check makers. I know there used to be FreeChex but I don't see them around now.

Any other options or is that the only one?

I'm considering 9mm, .223 and 30cal (for .308win) if that matters.

Thanks!

Boolit Master

There's plans available to make your own, which, IMO are far superior to Pat Marlin things.

Boolit Buddy
    call kim at matteson gas check makers,i have one and love it !!. 239 218 7956 , call her she knows !

Boolit Buddy
    Sparky, what is it you prefer about those over Pat’s?

Banned
    I have both Darnell's FreeChex II and Pat's, I prefer Darnell's one-step GC makers over having to punch disks then punch GC out of the disks.

My 2¢

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by green mountain boy View Post
    call kim at matteson gas check makers,i have one and love it !!. 239 218 7956 , call her she knows !
    Google turned up nothing on them. Link?

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Pat's plain base makers are, I think, unique to him. Nice stuff and worth the wait. I recently got a SharpShooter "One Stroke" maker for regular 44 mag checks and am very happy with that also (Home page link: https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/). Look at the catalog. I don't have a regular check maker from Pat, so I can't compare the two.

I use a long-ago made cast iron (brutally strong) RCBS Rock Chucker press for making checks and the One Stroke takes a pretty hefty shove on the handle to work with aluminium roof flashing. I wouldn't want to subject an alloy press to that.

Yea, Daves mini machine shop on facebook. The first one, a .357 had an issue, they sent me another complete unit right away. Works like a charm !!! I use dead soft .010 copper,
    & soft .014 aluminum. They are single pass units.
    I also have 2 of Pats units on order, I have had his before, well worth the wait.

I have a FreeChex II in .30. Wanted one for .223 but put off buying it. Sharpshooter website only showing pistol calibers available. I like the idea of the one stroke check maker. So are there other alternatives available for making my own? I don't have access to a machine shop or mill to make my own.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

I bought a .44 and 9mm/357 check maker from sharp shooter22. The 44 does a decent job. But the 9mm/357 has a problem.
    When trying to contact them use the contact form on their website https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...e#contact_form. They say it is the quickest way to get a response. I have had no response in a couple of days from emailing them. I'm having a problem with a 9mm/357 check maker. It cuts the skirt or part that goes up the side of the bullet on an angle. That makes one side of it too long to fit in the recess for the check on the bullet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	286781

I have used the form to request a swap for the check maker. Will let you know how that goes.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcanadice View Post
    Pat's plain base makers are, I think, unique to him.
    Matteson makes plain base makers in his single stroke makers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by green mountain boy View Post
    They make a good quality tool, but he is literally a one man shop and works another jobs. Kim is his wife and handles the business side. With demand (and one man shop with manual equipment) so backlogs are kinda long
    He is constantly making tweaks to his tools to improve the, sometimes there are hiccups with that. However they do stand by their work and will make it right if there are issues.

There is another guy, Dima Prok, that makes and sales them. I think he is a member here, but not sure. He can also be found on "the book of face". Have no first hand experience with Dima's tools, but from the pics I have seen, look like good tools