RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else keep bees?

Yessir

Boolit Grand Master
    Friend of mine had two hives. Real docile bees. He kept working the hives and found queen cells, so moved them, now he has 10 hives and is selling off the extra bees/queens. He offered a complete hive to me, and would love to have one, but I don't react well to a sting.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Would like to have a hive or 2 but living in town would raise a stink! I just paid to have a bee exterminator kill a nest under my storage shed of over 3+ thousand Africanized bees. Vicious little buggers. They would attack me 30 feet away and chase me in the house! Glad to see those things D_E_A_D! The ordinary honey bees we have in our nine citrus trees will fly right into your face and not even bother you. The trees, when in bloom in the spring, hum like big machines with all the thousands of bees busy with the citrus flowers.

My neighbor got into it two years ago. he dropped by the other day with a quart and some engraving work he wanted me to do. He said the exterminators about killed him last year. Arkansas law won't let them kill bees in a house, they have to be removed alive but the removal can't be paid to remove the bees. stupid law., he removed a bunch in eves and walls last year. one 25 feet up on second floor. He didnt lose any from the cold, but didn't want to add more hives.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I began last year with a single hive given to me by a nephew who has many, many hives. I plan on splitting that hive into others this year.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    I Got my fist hive 21 years ago.My Grandfather was a beekeeper.When my he Paaed my Dad and Grandma kep the bees for a long time.So i thing it runs in our blood.At one time i had 30+ hives.About 10 yras ago bees got hart for me to keep alive thru winter.Now i have 4 hives includeing the swarm a caught yesterday.The bad news is i had 11 hives going into winter and only 3 made it.I am hopeing to do a few splits and get them going again.I am 21 years older and do not want alot of hives now days but will allways have a few hives.Bees are like guns and casting lol adicting.Just like a great deal on lead or powder,there is now way you can not go catch that swam you see or someone calls you about.You think you are only going to have a few hives but they multipie fast.

For bears i read once that some would put up and electric fence and there bears would walk right thu it and never feel a thing from them have thick fur.The cure for this was sad to be half cook beacon so it is tuff and tie it to the electric fence.It was said the bears did not return.Imagin that.

Good luck to everyone in there beekeeping

Boolit Grand Master
    Over a year ago, I had a bee nest in a fan, in the back.
    Had a cloth over the fan, big floor fan, and I guess the bees thought it was a good place for a home.
    At first they didn't bother me, but I guess, as it got bigger, I couldn't see it, more bees started to swarm around.
    I couldn't have it there.
    Had the hardest time finding someone to come and get it.
    I searched for weeks,and weeks.
    Some crooks wanted ME to pay them to take it away.
    I told those clowns, "why should I pay you, when a few cans of bee spray is so cheap"
    I was ready to spray it and just so happened a guy that was doing fire ants eradication came by.
    He works for the city, and a neighbor had a problem, so they treated the whole area.
    He belonged to a bunch that has hives and saves bees.
    He came later with his gang, and saved the hive.
    Called later and told me the little honey they got was very good.
    I'm just glad I didn't have to eradicate the hive.
    Fan was trashed. It was a good fan.

Boolit Master
    abunaitoo
    sorry to here you had a bee probem they take up house most anywhere wanted or not.
    Now for the removal part no crook there in my book it is like any other problem you may have. for some reason if you are a beekeper you are supose to be a carpenter or house handy man to and work for free to boot.I have had calls where onone wanted me to remove sideing eveing bricks and take out a hive of bees.Then pot everything back together just like it was for free.All that work takes alot of time.then they get all upset if i want a few bucks to cover the gas and a few buck for my time.I ma happy you found some one to take the bees and not chage you anything but i dont do it for frre and dotn chage alot either.Last time i checked a package of bees is 125 to 150 bucks and i only have to pic them up.they are going to have a queen and be ready to go.the swarm in your wall may not be all that great.you run the risk of not getting the queen that mkae more work or you just caught worthless bees.

For thoses of you that may be wanting some help removeing some unwanted bees.you can look online for a lacal beekepper that will do the work.the next best places to check would be the local ag office.Polices or Sheriff they would all have a list of beekeepers that would help youi out.

Boolit Buddy
    I had bees for a few years till the beatles invaded. The thing I miss most is how they improved my garden yields. Had the hives next to my garden and it really made a difference.

Boolit Master
    We do mason bees. This is their busy time with our Asian pears just finishing and apples just starting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12