RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: High Pressure

Boolit Master

High Pressure

I am new to powder coating and have had good results. The mold is a Saeco 924, 125 gr. sac gc.. I'm getting flattened primers where When not coated there are no pressure signs. They are sized after coating to .356 ahead of 4 grs. of Unique. Pistol is a G19. The rims are a little larger after firing. Overall the finished round is 1.085. Are any of you guys having similar outcomes?

Boolit Grand Master

Per Alliant that is a very light load. After that not sure what's going on.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resourc...e/download.pdf

124-gr Speer GDHP Unique CCI 500 Speer 1.120 5.8 1180
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    I am new to powder coating and have had good results. The mold is a Saeco 924, 125 gr. sac gc.. I'm getting flattened primers where When not coated there are no pressure signs. They are sized after coating to .356 ahead of 4 grs. of Unique. Pistol is a G19. The rims are a little larger after firing. Overall the finished round is 1.085. Are any of you guys having similar outcomes?
    Is your coated 1.085" COAL the same as you were using for uncoated?

No expert here as I have some work-up loads sitting on the bench and I am uncertain what the deeper seating depths will have on pressure. Mine are the Lee 356-125-2R seated to 1.081" over W231.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I dont worry about what the primer looks like. Factory ammo i shot in my photo.

My hand loads with a WSPM show less PRIMER flow at 700X- 3.2 grs. (Max is 3.4 grs) Lee 356-120-TC in range brass. OAL 1.045"

The rim diameter is odd, but i have seen it in 45acp with brass reloaded many time. As long as the case head will slide up the bolt face and under the extractor, not an issue for me. But 45acp is a low pressure round when compared to 9mm.

The coating should produce less pressure from what i read? Most coated bullets dont need a gas check? Try coated with no GC?
    Last edited by 243winxb; 04-29-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Banned
    flattened primers don't always mean high pressure.

did the velocity change between the coated and uncoated ones?

Boolit Master
    The rounds were exactly in dimensions as the uncoated rounds. I didn't run them over my chronograph. I had only made up 50 rounds just to test function. I will reload and try it again next time I go out. I just wondered if anyone else had this type of experience with coated. Enjoy the day!

Boolit Master

I use 4gr of Unique under a 147gr powder coated bullet, I can't imagine you are having high pressure with 4gr of Unique under a 125gr unless you are having bullet setback...

Boolit Buddy
    From what I’ve learned, pressure signs really only apply to rifle reloading. Pistol pressures aren’t high enough to use that as a gauge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    From what I’ve learned, pressure signs really only apply to rifle reloading. Pistol pressures aren’t high enough to use that as a gauge.
    Ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner.

By the time most pistol cartridges show the classic pressure signs you're far into danger territory.
    NRA Benefactor.

bullet setback or HS due to crimp. Larger RIM - HS on the bullet nose, fired case slams back into bolt. I pay no attention to primer in rifle either unless I see metal flowing.
    Whatever!