Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Any H450 users?

Any H450 users?

I have a full pound of this discontinued powder and data from Hodgon #24. It dates from 1979 and according to those with a sense of smell, it has no ammonia, vinegar, or cat pee odor.
    I believe I'll use it, with jacketed and perhaps cast. Have any of you used H450 ?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    IIRC you can use W760 data, but I would cross-check with an older Speer manual to be sure.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Nosler's first manual has it.
    It worked in 25-06, 30-06, Krag, 7mm Mauser for me with jacketed.
    210 cast in krag was just okay.

I’ve read that it and Winchester 785 were the same powder. As it is ball powder; I will use magnum primers to spark it. The Hodgdon book has H450 data for more cartridges than I expected- even .250 Savage and 30-30 Win- so I’m going to use it up in tribute to my reloading friends from the 1970s.
    As always, thanks guys!

Boolit Buddy
    It is wonderful in the 6.5x55

USMC 77, USRA 79

dont get too excited thomas.. with only one lb, about the time you work up some decent loads you will be running low.. i am not saying dont shoot it up.. just saying ... now if you had a 4lb jug...

i would be making plinking rounds and save the serious hunting stuff to what you got lots of stock in.. i know you must have a stockpile buried in the ground somewhere on that homestead.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I've got about 3 lbs left of an 8lb 'box' (heavy plastic bag in the box) from the 80's?. Used in 243, a little slower than 760, I found that it left quite a lot of fouling that would harden into a gunk in the barrel. It needs a magnum primer, I think fouling is the heavy deterrent coat on the powder. It does measure nicely and I did get good accuracy with 85-90 grain bullets in the 243. I used 45 gr H450, CCI250, Speer 90 grain in a Savage 99E .243 that I carried in my saddle scabbard for the back country when NOT elk season. Need to get solvent down the bore before the fouling can harden, otherwise works well.

Marko that's sorta the plan, although I loaded some jackets in .303 British with it for the Old Smelly Bubba.... haha you probably have gunpowder in your bathroom and kitchen too.
    I was surprised to find H450 listed for the .303 but not the 30-40. The 30-30 data looks cast friendly speed wise.

Thomas: I was gifted a couple pounds of H450 I wish that it was still in production. Hodgdon #25 and 26 are good references. Seems I remember that you too are a fan of the 25-06. Works very well in mine. PM me if you would like some data for any calibers that you would like to use it in. Gp

Banned

I used it in 6mm years ago, Hogdon discontinued it and Winchester 760 gave better accuracy anyway. I'd sure find something I could use it in if I had it.

USMC 77, USRA 79

you might be right thomas.. but there is no gunpowder in the bathroom... just other powders for damp stuff....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

The starting load of 46grs H450 with the 150gr Hornady and Remington 9-1/2 M primers works well at 40 yards but the coarse sights work against me at 100 so I didn't try it.

Boolit Buddy
    H450 is a fantastic powder for the 6.5x55 with 140gr and up bullets. In that application magnum primers aren’t needed. On a progressive it is awesome.

I got a pound of it free with a coupon when I bought something else, then shortly after it was discontinued. As I recall, I wasn't that impressed with it in 30-06 with 180 grain bullets.

Boolit Buddy

Worked well enough in my 6.5x55 but left tough, black, fouling that was hard to remove from then bore.

Boolit Master
    I remember using it for light to medium bullet weights in the 300 Win Mag (150-165gr). I still have about a pound of it but it's mostly sitting due to my no longer having anything that large anymore.