WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Broke in my 1873’ Charles Daly today!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Broke in my 1873’ Charles Daly today!

I bought the gun at a rummage sale back around the last 90’s for $45. It was rusted solid and missing a hammer. I cleaned it up and finally got hammers on it last year along with refinishing the wood and metal. My gold was always to make it a shooter and harvest a turkey with it. Megasupermagum help me with picking out a load for it. I used a 100 grains of Fg and 1 5/8 oz of BPI nickel plated #6 shot. It patterns great in the left barrel. Today was the first day of 2nd season turkey hunting so I got to give it a try. I dropped a dandy double bearded gobbler at 25 yards give or take. When the smoke cleared I had a dead bird! I didn’t weigh it but can tell you it’s one of the heaviest birds I’ve shot over the years. It had inch and a half Spurs. The beards were 10.5” and 7 1/4”. I had this guy in my trail camera so I knew he was aground. I have another that has way over a 12” beard that drags on the ground thst I am on the look out for as well. I know my load is not “cast” but had to share. I can’t wait for 4th season to do it all over again!

Sure do like your photography skills Very nice gun and bird. Congrats.

That’s a big old Tom and a beautiful shotgun. I’m envious. Thanks for sharing!

Boolit Buddy

Nice tom. This post makes me want to get back into turkey hunting. Haven't gone in a few years

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Turkey with muzzleloader

Tripplebeards way to go on a very fine turkey. Also congrats on such a fine job on the 1873 Charles Daly double shotgun. It is a beauty now that you have worked her over a bit. I am curious about the choke on it. It must be pretty tight choked or you are just maybe a real good shot! I got a nice one here on opening day, but not quite as nice as yours. I also don't get any extra points since I didn't use my muzzleloading shotgun for this one. I think I'll load her up for next week. I just love the black smoke drifting along in the valley after taking a long beard with it. It is one of the pleasures of life I have had the opportunity to have on several occasions. You are to be commended for your using yours so skillfully.
    Stan..aka smoked turkey

P.S. I wanted to add a comment about megasupermagnum giving you a helping hand on the restoration and the loading information. He is a great one to have close by. He done good.
    Last edited by smoked turkey; 04-28-2021 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added comment about Megasupermagnum
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Tripplebeards way to go on a very fine turkey. Also congrats on such a fine job on the 1873 Charles Daly double shotgun. It is a beauty now that you have worked her over a bit. I am curious about the choke on it. It must be pretty tight choked or you are just maybe a real good shot! I got a nice one here on opening day, but not quite as nice as yours. I also don't get any extra points since I didn't use my muzzleloading shotgun for this one. I think I'll load her up for next week. I just love the black smoke drifting along in the valley after taking a long beard with it. It is one of the pleasures of life I have had the opportunity to have on several occasions. You are to be commended for your using yours so skillfully.
    Stan..aka smoked turkey

P.S. I wanted to add a comment about megasupermagnum giving you a helping hand on the restoration and the loading information. He is a great one to have close by. He done good.

Yep, he helped my with working up my load. I measured the barrels with my HF micrometer. The left barrel was .750 and the right .760. I don’t trust that cheap tool. I tried RST shells in #5 and #6’s. The patterns weren’t acceptable so I got into reloading for it about a month or so ago. I will have to find some #4 and #5 shot and try it in the same 1 5/8oz load. I’d like a little more range and knock down if I can hold a pattern. Here is my load development, testing, and my groups.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...10-gauge/page3

Here is trail cam photo of him last winter. It was taken about 15 yards from where I shot him.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-30-2021 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Grand Master

This is a fine tale of a hammer gun and turkey ! All the special work and tests sure did get blessed ! Thank you for fine photos and write up.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

USMC 77, USRA 79

wow tripp.... you are having a Great spring.. first all them fish and adding a beautiful turkey dinner to the freezer.. i aint even started my harvesting yet. no fish or bears yet here.

and that MSM is quite the instigator aint he....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    wow tripp.... you are having a Great spring.. first all them fish and adding a beautiful turkey dinner to the freezer.. i aint even started my harvesting yet. no fish or bears yet here.

and that MSM is quite the instigator aint he....
    You haven’t seen the “big” fish yet...I’ve been holding out.lol

Boolit Master
    Awesome!!!! I'll bet that bird tastes extra good with all of the work you put in!! Congratulations!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Since there is almost 2 weeks before my round of turkey hunting I’ll have to get going on a fan mount with it.

Here is one I did last year. The bird had a 12” beard, weighed 28 pounds, and had 1 7/8” Spurs. I have some dandy birds running around. I think it’s because I quit spring turkey hunting for a good decade or so letting them get old.

USMC 77, USRA 79

now that is cool!!!! I want one!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Mounted up...

I used an old wood tree slice frame I had laying around and fabricated a fan and beard mount. Never noticed till I mounted the beard today but the main beard was starting to separate into two. I’m guessing it would have had tripplebeards by next season.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-03-2021 at 08:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Nice mount!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That is a great mount!
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Nice shotgun!

Boolit Buddy
    Beautiful gun and turkey!!! How many hours went into restoring that shotgun?

It took me about 4 days in a row working on it a good part of each day to restore it. I just restored about 5 other guns and have it down to a science.

I think I must have jinxed myself as I have been out (with a modern shotgun) 10 days hunting afterwards and only saw one hen. I didn’t have another tag till 4th season. The above bird was harvested 2 weeks earlier. During the 4th season they were gobbling a lot less. The Toms would gobble less and less till they completely stopped. Fifth season I would hear zero to 6 gobbles each time out. This was from sun up till about 1 pm. Our sixth and final week started today. I didn’t get out today but will tomorrow morning. It looks like 56% chance of rain by 7am. My plan is to get in and set up by 5:45am and hope magic will happen before the downpour. I have through next Tuesday to try a bag another bird or more since there are still left over tags to be had...but I’m not holding my breath. We had an early warm up this year which I believe started the “turkey rut” way early this year vs normal peak breeding times. I think they are pretty much done. My buddies that live 3 hours away are witnessing the same exact same turkey behavior. They have seen a few single They have had gobbling completely shut down about a week ago as well. They have also seen Toms walking around, not gobbling, and not strutting in the last week. It only takes one. So maybe I’ll get lucky yet! At least I was blessed with one dandy bird.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-26-2021 at 07:23 PM.