Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 375win to 375 jdj converting a marlin

Boolit Master

375win to 375 jdj converting a marlin

does anyone know of a marlin 375 can be converted to 375JDJ or is the 375 JDJ only applicable to contender barrels?

Boolit Buddy
    If you use the 375 JDJ as designed, the case is too long with a 200-220 grain bullet seated to the crimp groove and will not cycle through the action of a Marlin 336. I proposed once (on here somewhere) to trim the parent 444 case down so that the finished case was approximately 2.05". Then a loaded shell would have an OAL of 2.55-2.60" which should cycle through with no issues. You could also use 307 or 356 factory cases necked up to 375. Still unsure about any interference at the loading gate/mag tube.

With the value of an original 375 Marlin at this time being through the roof I would recommend using a plain jane 30-30 Model 336 for such a conversion. I bought a new Remington built 336BL a year ago and have debated doing just such a modification. However, since I have an original 375 Marlin (no safety) that easily shoots 220 grain jacketed bullets @ 2,000 fps I can't see gaining that much speed using the 375/307-356 wildcat.

Boolit Buddy
    As mentioned, the JDJ wildcat is too long unless you modify the rifle to cycle and feed the longer case.

In a Marlin if you want some more zip than a 375 Win offers consider a 375/308. I had a Win 375BB chamber opened up with a 308 reamer and swapped out the cartridge guides for those from a 356. Some Winchesters will feed and cycle rimless cases, but unfortunately mine doesn’t. A Marlin should though. Dies are available from Redding and probably several others.

Agreed ! An original Marlin 375 is too rare and valuable to convert.